ADvertise hereGraf & SonsLee PrecisionStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee press button stuck

Boolit Master

Lee press button stuck

Got a Lee Challenger press from the Gunshow last week.
    It was only $10, with two bushings. Looked almost brand new.
    Found out why it was cheap.
    Button that holds the bushing in place is stuck down.
    Reading about it on the web, it seems this is a common problem.
    Lee posted that a hold should be drilled and a screw inserted to pull the button up.
    Seems like a plan.
    Anyone else have this happen????
    Any other way to un-stuck the button????

Boolit Master
    Have never seen one so suggestions might be worthless. 1: Put a drop of penetrating oil on the button and then tap on the frame to jar it loose. If that doesn't work, try option 2. 2: Try super glue on the end of a rod. Glue the rod to the button and pull it up

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same boat as ulav8r and agree with him
    I'd try soaking it in a 50/50 solution of acetone and ATF you cold keep applying it or inverse the press and stick it in a bowl of acetone and ATF. then tap the frame. (acetone not good for paint)
    Just brainstorming
    You could heat the area with a heat gun then put a frozen metal rod on the button to see if that loosens things up (not sure it would be so good for the paint)
    epoxy or Liquidmetal wield a small nut on the button to "encourage it if needed now and at a later date

well, I know I will be putting a bit of oil on my 'now functional' breechlock button, thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of this common condition.

Boolit Master

Could you go all "cave man" old school and just screw the dies into the stuck bushing....or is screwing things in and out no longer politically correct or allowed.

I have been reloading for 50 years without a breech lock.....just don't see the big burning need . I rather enjoy screwing .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Could you go all "cave man" old school and just screw the dies into the stuck bushing....or is screwing things in and out no longer politically correct or allowed.

I have been reloading for 50 years without a breech lock.....just don't see the big burning need . I rather enjoy screwing .

Gary
    LOL that was my thought too. I have all the bushings for my LNL AP but I still screw the dies in one at a time and check for function before moving on to the next. Just my style I suppose.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Hit it with penetrating oil and let soak work for a day or two. If it dosnt come up on its own try tapping on the frame lightly and quickly with a small hammer to create a vibration to help loosen it. Also look on the under side for a set screw that plugs / holds everything in from the bottom. This may also be a pressed in plug and hard to see thru the paint. If its there then the hole goes thru and can be removed that way. While it may be gummed up or frozen it may be a broken spring that will need replacing. Last ditch senerio is to cut a screwdriver slot in the top surface with a .030 cut off wheel and dremil tool, the try twisting it to loosen it.

Boolit Master
    It's been soaking with PB Blaster since I noticed it.
    I did tap on it with a punch and it's still stuck.
    The glue on the top sounds like a good idea.
    I'll clean it up and give it a try.
    Looking at it, it looks like the button is swagged in somehow. No hole on the bottom, or way to take it out from the top.
    I've never had one of these before. It was cheap enough to give it a try.

Boolit Master
    For what you paid for it, $10.00, I'd epoxy the bushing in place and use it as is the old fashioned way.

punch and hammer, my button has been stuck down for 3 years, havent needed it, the bushings stay in place fine

Mine stuck down last year. I use the press to try out loads before I go to my Dillon and for low volume. I don't have enough bushings to leave on dies, so I use press to hold bushing so I can unscrew die. Got to get a screw to put in and pull it up I guess.