RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: #1 buckshot mold

#1 buckshot mold

Is it just me or are #1 buckshot molds completely unobtainable. I have been searching high and low and no companies I am aware of make one of these.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am in Canada but will obviously order from the states if needed.

Boolit Master

.310 6 cavity, no sprue, 44 gr ea with soft lead. Great mold for casting lots of good shot.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I do have a 2 cavity mold the same size. Works good for 12 gauge.
    I'm trying for a large buckshot for 20 gauge. Is .310 not too large for 20 gauge? I tried a few loads with 8 .310 in 20 gauge and it peeled a strip out of the side of one of the hulls. Scared the hell out of me so I didn't try the others I had loaded.

Boolit Master
    you may try some from BPI before you want to cast

I can't order through bpi here in Canada. I did order buckshot through their Canadian distributer and it was about $10 per pound of buckshot.
    Much cheaper in the long run to buy a mold if I can locate one. My hopes were someone here here knows of a place to order a mold

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee .310" round ball 2-cavity mold to cast "buckshot", and yes, I load a 10-pellet load for my 20ga shotguns.
    MidwayUSA also has the new Lee 18-pellet gang mold. ~$40, plus $12-15 for handles. They also have #4 and 00-buck (.25, .33", .36"), but no #1.

Perhaps that torn hull was just a fluke. What type hulls are you using for your 10 pellet load?

Boolit Mold
    Do-it molds makes a slingshot pellet mold one side is .310 and the other side is .380. it drops 11 of the .310 at a time . I like mine and at $30 it's hard to beat.

I just looked at those slingshot molds. Seem quite reasonable for price. How sturdy are they?

Boolit Master

I just ordered one of those molds from Track of the Wolf. Six buckshot without any snipping. Not having to cut apart individual pellets from tiny round balls brings great hope. And, that diameter of buckshot can be loaded three to a layer inside most shotcups. The mold is in the mail! Yeah!!!!. And, this is from a guy who has buckshot molds in almost all flavors from Skies Unlimited. They do produce buckshot as advertised. I have just got to the point where I dislike snipping, snipping, snipping, snipping, etc.. Same for the 18 cavities from Lee. You get the buckshot, but you must snip, snip, snip, snip, etc. BTW, you can really empty a lead pot fast that way.

I certainly wish skies unlimited was still selling molds. Would have liked to get my hands on a #1 and a #2 buckshot mold. I emailed him several months back he said he may be making more this fall. I tried again about a month ago and said he isn't in production yet. Guess I will have to try one of those slingshot molds if I can get my hands on one and go from there.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsing View Post
    I just looked at those slingshot molds. Seem quite reasonable for price. How sturdy are they?
    They seem to be sturdy enough for me I casted 20 lbs give or take and it has held up well. they suggest to oil the hinge often so I do. no snipping either if you use ww they just break off. check fleabay for the mold they have them new for the cheapest I have found. Rock island sports is the store 28.99 plus shipping
    Last edited by hunton35; 10-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Hunton35:
    Have you measured the diameter of a few of the pellets cast from ww? We're they fairly close to .310"

Boolit Mold
    they measure a little under.310 and average 41.5 grains. the other side is supposed to throw .380 but drops more like .370 and average 75 grains

The smaller size is close to what I am looking for. The larger ones might be usable for 12 gauge. Not to sure if that size would be a good fit. Though I could b wrong

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I also use the Lee .310 rb mold with good results though two at a time is a little slow haven't tried the Lee gang mold. Have a sharp shooter in #4 buck you might check them they seem to Cary all sizes of shot you might want.

Boolit Buddy
    Been using the .310 Lee for BP in my Grandfathers' old single...............works well..........will 'smoke' a coyote, but I'm reluctant to use it on deer.

My Lee 2 cavity drops them out at .316" average with coww. Don't see why they wouldn't work on deer. Just very slow to cast 2 at a time. Ended up ordering a slingshot pellet mold and it casts 11 at a time looking forward to casting up 10 or 20 pounds of buckshot to have on hand.
    Ended up loading a few more 20 gauge with the .316" balls and they shot ok, no torn hulls this time.
    The pattern left something to be desired it spread them out horizontaly for about 12" at about 20 yards