Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your Sitting Position?

Sounds like rifle shooting. For pistols find a post and slouch against it and bring your knees up above your shoulders (really almost laying). Your butt on ground and shoulders on the post and hold the pistol with both hands kinda like a wedge in between your legs and open/close your knees to get your elevation. Keeping your hands against your legs keeps windage. Works pretty well.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the answers.

CountryGent, my 22 is supposed to get back on Friday. I'll try that position you describe when it arrives. The previous times I've tried it my NPOA is the ground like 5 feet in front of me to the left. To raise it I feel like I'm have to squeeze and raise my thighs or rest the butt of the rifle on top of my collar bone.

I'll fool with it, maybe I just need to take 2WheelDuke's advice and get to an appleseed.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Grand Master

Offhand the bottom tip or toe of the stock was in my shoulder most of it above. Sitting the butt was low in my shoulder. My forward hand was back close to the magazine on the M1A and ARs for proper elevation. I did use rosin on the glove for maintaining this position. Prone the butt was in the shoulder centered or there abouts. Again the offhand was adjusted for elevation.

The best thing to do is exeperiment with the positions making the small adjustments and testing. I did a lot of it on the living room floor dry firing and adjusting. In small bore the positions are a little looser 1) lack of recoil dosnt require the stability the recoiling rifles do, 2) you may be in the position for longer time periods requiring some small adjustments for comfort and such.

If allowed a handstop and rail in the forearm is better than the spray rosin and can be set where needed. On 30 cal rifle this also helped with recoil control.

Practice and dryfire in the living room basement and watch for the sights wanting to wander in a direction. One quick check is get in position on the "target" stay in position and close your eyes and relax, open eyes and see where sights are at, they should be alighned and in my case at 6 O'clock on the bull. If not adjust till they stay there. This becomes normall very quickly once learned and you will set up set down and feel "off" before you go any farther and adjust with out thinking LOL.

Crossed ankles allows a forward shot, uncrossed needs a 45 deg. shot. Always elbows inside the knees so a bone support vs muscle support. Most useful if shooting over high grass where prone won't work - and nobody is shooting back. Pretty much worthless for anything but longer hunting shots - unless you are just 'gaming'. Unless your back is against something you won't be in that position long. Last resort position - I practiced some and used it for field target 'sport' shooting couple of times- it can be accurate. Scope dings are quite easy with this position.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12