Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Brass - How short is too short?

Boolit Buddy

Brass - How short is too short?

I processed a bunch of .223 brass for my AR. I knocked out the primers, sized the brass then wet tumbled it. After it was dry, I trimmed the nose length but made a critical error. When I trimmed the nose length the brass got trimmed to 1.730"-1.735" OAL. The SAMMI spec is 1.750" min with a max of 1.760". When I seat a 55 bullet the cannaleur is fully exposed. The final loaded COL is 1.220". I've been having some feeding issues with my AR and wondered if the shortened brass is causing any issues? Is the brass worth using or should I just cut my losses and scrap it or sell it for 300 BO conversion?

Boolit Buddy
    Being that 223 cases are plentiful and cheap, I would buy more and make 300 bo out of the short cases.

That's pretty shorty. I had a bunch of once fired Speer 223 brass (government contract, Border Patrol) that measured out at 1.74 to 1.745 after resizing. It obviously worked fine the first time it was fired, but I went ahead and converted it all to 300 BO.

Boolit Master

By the time it grows .02, even to meet the minimum.. the brass is going to be aged, and you will have been having to nurse that whole batch. I'd convert it to 300 ACC