Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 375 win, or 35 remington.........

Banned
    OverMax,

AGREED. = The rifle that I reflexively reach for for most all hunting from coyotes & up to elk is my "Plain Jane", circa 1954, Model 760 in .300SAV.

Wishing a I could find a .300SAV carbine for hunting from horseback. = Believe it or not, the extra 4-5 inches of barrel does make a considerable difference, "under the leg".
    (Btw, just 4 days ago I found a short-action Model 760 with badly rusted/pitted barrel, for "peanuts", that may well head out to JES to be rebored to .358WCF & "cut-down" into an 18" saddle-carbine. - I already have a 9.3x62mm that Jessie remodeled & it's FAULTLESS.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-15-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    On the subject of 375w and use of 38/55 brass. This will work but the 38/55 and 30/30 are both
    drawn on same button. Instead of buying 38/55 brass 30/30 can be easily fire formed to 375w.
    The draw back to this is the 38/55-30/30 cases are not as heavy as the 375w case. I would not
    advise firing full power 375s / Jacketed bullets from these cases. I know a lot of guys claim they
    do, that's fine. Me with these cases I load cast at 38/55 power levels. 5gr bullseye with corn meal
    filler will blow 30/30s out nicely.
    Lots of good info shared. I have a 375w I like it but never use it much due to the price of ammo if you can get it.
    I would like to try some 3030 brass converted to 375w, so I have a few questions:
    Do you anneal the brass?
    How much COW do you load?
    5gr of bullseye? Is there an equivalent charge for unique, titegroup, blue dot or IMR red/red dot?

The last box of 375w I seen for sale was 65.00$Cdn and the clerk asked if I was hunting elephants, I had to walk away.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

I do anneal the brass, stand them in water up to right below where they start to neck. As far as
    charge for fire forming, 5 to 8grs of any fast burning powder should work. Corn meal up to neck.
    I used a TC carbine because it required less fumbling around loading them in levers.

At the time Ohio came out with Rifle season, I had 60+ CF rifles and only had one legal, a 45/70.
    Prior to new season you couldn't give away .44mg-375w- 45/70 ect. There is always a few guys
    that have them for toys of course. Overnight the prices on legal guns exploded. The average deer
    Hunter didn't hunt out of state and if they owned a rifle it was a varmit gun. I didn't really want
    to carry a 45/70 to hunt deer. I traded up a 44 and a couple 375w. My 45/70 is a 1895 Marlin
    that I've had for years, a 70 model JM. The Marlin 94 is a 70, JM also and both shoot extremely
    well. If they didn't they would not be in my rack.

I ended up settling on a 375w in Ruger#3 for my main deer rifle. I am shooting Speer 235gr
    Semi-spitzer. I have found no other bullet that will group as well. This bullet would have to be
    single loaded in Levers.

To sum this up, if I didn't need the 375w to comply with law I wouldn't have one. I am not bad
    mouthing it. If we had the option I would be using 30/30 or 35Rem. If a guy isn't a loader stay
    away from 375w.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slownsteady22 View Post
    well won a GB auction on jm 336 in 35 remington, now the real fun starts, molds, dies, brass and whole lot of range time.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk
    Congrats on the 35 Marlin, you will be well served with it. Don't know what you're intending to use it for, but if it'll be for deer hunting in dense woods, you couldn't ask for a better caliber.

Boolit Master

Thanks Drm50. My rifle is a win 94 ae. Got it 30 years ago, maybe fired it 30 times.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned
    Drm50,

Out of idle curiosity, what rifles were legal in Ohio before this year??

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    If I wanted to hunt deer in Iowa I would get the .375 Win as it is legal for deer and the 35 Remington is not.

How do you like those regulations?
    That makes no since, the 35 brass is just a bit shorter the the 375 hmmmm what is the reasoning.

Boolit Master
    Suspect it is the straight wall vs bottleneck. Some states specify a straight wall of 35 or bigger.... and other strange stuff..
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Suspect it is the straight wall vs bottleneck. Some states specify a straight wall of 35 or bigger.... and other strange stuff..
    Yep, we have a winner!! That is exactly the reason. Straight walled case .35 cal or larger chambered in pistol.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Drm50,

Out of idle curiosity, what rifles were legal in Ohio before this year??

yours, tex
    There was no rifle season here in Ohio. It was Shotgun slug, Handgun- 38 cal minimum and
    restricted to straight cased and 5" minimum barrel, Muzzel Loader 38 cal minimum. Any rifle
    shooting was mainly varmit and LV guns weren't very popular for varmit shooting. The handgun
    season went over big at first but most guys went back to slugs. This is 3rd year and demand for
    legal guns is still there. Now the hunters are looking for JMs, Rugers and Wins in legal cals.
    The Remlinitise has spread in 3 yrs time. The 1895s were leading seller in new guns and they
    are about the only good deal to be found on used market. If you consider them a good deal.

Banned
    Drm50,

THANKS for the info.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Thanks..I think I have heard that, don't understand it but heard it..

Boolit Master
    I vote for .375 Win. With a "straight" case (long neck) it's an easy one to load with a good selection of cast. The cases are re-purposed Starline .38-55, 2.085" long, which fit perfectly in my lever's .375 Win chamber with .020 to spare. I suspect the chambers on many .375's were cut long to prevent damage from Bubba's inevitable attempts to fire .38-55's in them. The 2.125" cases won't fit in mine, though. Mine does best with paper patched boolits, specifically the Lyman 375248.

Boolit Grand Master

Neither, unless you like hunting down expensive brass. I load and cast for both, have hunted and taken game with both. Both excellent cartridges but there are other cartridges that do the job just as well with less fuss...but in the interests of full disclosure they are two of my favorite cartridges.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Texasnative46
    Ohio deer hunting with a rifle requirements for 2017: Any straight walled case is permitted from .357 to .502. Prior to last year, they were more cartridge specific. This year they opened to include any and all. This is the third year that rifle hunting for deer has been permitted in Ohio
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Some wise person will point out this is an old thread.

I have a 35 Remington and a 375 Winchester. I believe the 375 with 220 grain Barnes has more power than the 35 Remington. I have 4 or 5 molds in either caliber. The 375 has the 35 beat there too.

As far as deer cartridge either will work fine, in my opinion. The 35 would likely be flatter shooting, especially with the flex tip ammo.

I like my 35, 358, 350 etc cartridge rifles. I also like my 375 Win, 375 AI Whalen, & 375 H&H AI cartridge rifles.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    On the subject of 375w and use of 38/55 brass. This will work but the 38/55 and 30/30 are both
    drawn on same button. Instead of buying 38/55 brass 30/30 can be easily fire formed to 375w.
    The draw back to this is the 38/55-30/30 cases are not as heavy as the 375w case. I would not
    advise firing full power 375s / Jacketed bullets from these cases. I know a lot of guys claim they
    do, that's fine. Me with these cases I load cast at 38/55 power levels. 5gr bullseye with corn meal
    filler will blow 30/30s out nicely.
    That was (is) the accepted story, when I bought my 375 BB many moons ago, I quickly became allergic to the cost of proper brass, had a 30/30 at the time and upon dismemberment of some PMC 30/30 brass and a couple of Winchester 375, + diligent use of a micrometer we discovered (wait for it !) yay - the 30/30 PMC was actually a teensy bit thicker in the wall than the proper stuff. I reformed a hundred of those with a 3/8 expander rod I made from a HT bolt,worked up to full throttle reloads as per the Hornady manual at the time using 220grain gascheck boolits and RE7 powder - that gun was really well built and I dont believe it was any harder on brass than the 30/30 I had at the same time - mine (375 BB) was the top eject model so it had that bit extra meat in the action where it counted. So ----was that PMC brass better than the winchester ? who knows - its gone now - the guns are gone too - we went off playin with blackpowder........

The main difference between 30/30 and 375W is in case head area, not necessarily case walls. About 3 shots of stout 375W, which means 4x brass. We saw signs of perforation that would lead to separation. Most likely the next loading. I was shooting 235-270 & 300gr jackets. I was working on 235gr Speer semi spitzer in #3 Rugers. I have shot a lot of deer in Eastern states. Most deer are shot under 100yds. So a 300magnum is no more a deer killer than a 30/30. A HV rifle in the woods is a waste, in open it has advantage. Neither the Deer nor the bullet cares whether it was fired from a 30/30 or 300. It’s all in the shooter and the hit.

Boolit Master
    The main difference between 30/30 and 375W is in case head area, not necessarily case walls. About 3 shots of stout 375W, which means 4x brass. We saw signs of perforation that would lead to separation. Most likely the next loading. I was shooting 235-270 & 300gr jackets. I was working on 235gr Speer semi spitzer in #3 Rugers. I have shot a lot of deer in Eastern states. Most deer are shot under 100yds. So a 300magnum is no more a deer killer than a 30/30. A HV rifle in the woods is a waste, in open it has advantage. Neither the Deer nor the bullet cares whether it was fired from a 30/30 or 300. It’s all in the shooter and the hit.
    top eject gun or angle eject ?

Jackets shot in Ruger #3 falling block. I did have both Marlin 375Win and Win BB. I shot the Jackets in the Marlin, single loaded. I ended up trading both levers for Ruger #3s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast