WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 375 win, or 35 remington.........

Banned
    Drm50,

TRUE & the 200 grain RN doesn't tear up/bloodshot much edible meat (in my experience) with a shot into the thorax.
    (I'm likely going to look for another Marlin LA carbine to carry on horseback.)

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by slownsteady22 View Post
    I am thinking..........going to buy one of the above mentioned calibers in a lever action. Looking for recomendations and advice on what caliber you would buy.

Thanks Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk
    You could buy the 35
    And then spend the rest of your life thinking " Damn, I could have had a 375!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

skipper,
    that dosent help my friend lol

Moderator Emeritus

I concur 100% with Drm50 re using IMR3031! I use the same bullet (in addition to those I cast) -- the 200gr RN -- in my Rem-141, but load quite a bit lighter: thirty-two grains. Been a while since I chrony'd shots, but my data indicates the Oehler 35 clocked this load at a median 1,650fps -- only 350fps slower than Drm50's -- but, I'm sure the condition of the almost 80-year old firearm employed and loading variables (primer, case, crimp, etc.) come into effect. I use Lee factory crimp die, too.
    geo

skipper,
    that dosent help my friend lol

Nope. I have a 336 in 375, rebored by Wayne York and a 38-55 Sharps. If I had it to do again, I'd buy the 375... especially if you're a handloader. Brass is available if you keep your eye open. If you shoot cast, there's no reason to not use trimmed 38-55 brass. There's no shoulder problem with the straight case and it's just fun to shoot. If you're hunting, you can use cast, Vollmer or hawk bullets...Sierra or Hornady if available. With the Vollmer 255, it hits like a truck.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Have both, the only advantage to me in the 375/38-55 is the heavier bullet option. You really need to be a caster and loader of each to see the full potential

I have both. If forced to choose between them, I would go with the 375 since it works very well as a 38-55, using 250 grain plain base boolits (Lee mold) and a healthy dose of 2400 or Unique. As long as 30-30's exist, I'll be able to make my own brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have 4, 35R rifles- Rem 8-81-14-141. I have found all these rifles shoot the 200gr RN bullets
    much better than 35 spire points. I have a 141 and have loaded it with 357 JHPs 158gr / 37.5 gr
    of IMR-3031 at approx 2300fps. It would make a mess out of groundhogs. The lighter 357 bullets
    I couldn't get them to shoot good enough to suit me. I have also used Speer 180 Fn, accuracy
    was ok but expansion wasn't as good as 200gr Horn. RN. My deer load is 200gr RN/ 36.0 gr of
    IMR-3031 at approx 2000 fps. I have used other powders but 3031 seems to be best for me.
    Drm50: Try the 180 gr. full jacketed 357 bullets with the lead tip exposed. The full jacketed
    will feed through the magazine of most rifles. Over 20 grs. 2400 powder. Out of a Remington
    141 scoped, I get nickel sized groups at 100 yds. All the deer we have shot have been bang/flop
    dead. Very accurate and hits hard, try it I am sure you will like it.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master

I use a .375 in a Ruger #3, 200 grain Sierra and a max load of RL7. I use Starline brass 38-55 trimmed to length. Never lost a case after many many reloads. I shot several deer with this combo and all dropped in their tracks.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

I killed two deer in thick S.C. woods about 20 years ago. I was casting by then, but not like now, frankly, I didn't know better, but the bulk packed Remington 200 grain Corelokts from Midway and IMR 3031 sure worked well through that 1950 vintage Marlin.

I still have that rifle and will until I die. I also have a Remington 141 now I like a lot too. Haven't hunted with it yet.

Not much experience with it in the .35 Remington, but that RCBS 200 grain flat point works great in the .358 Winchester at .35 Remington velocities.

Boolit Buddy

When the Jamison (JBA) 375 Win brass was last available I picked up some. This is heavier than the 38/55 brass from both Win and Starline and it will take max 375 loads. As was mentioned in this thread, you can make 375 Win brass from 30-30 but it is thinner and will finish a little short. I also have a 375 Super Mag revolver and I make most of its cases from 30-30. The 250 RCBS FPGC and the NOE 235 FPGC molds both are excellent performers in my 375 Win 94 and 375 revolver. 3031 powder was mentioned and it does well. I have had good luck with 4198 also. The revolver and rifle both like AA-1680, XMR-5744 and IMR-4227 with the cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    35 Remington, there are plenty of good Marlin's out there, factory ammunition is still made by Remington, Winchester, Federal and Hornady. Cases are not really a problem if you pay attention, Hornady does make them. The 35 can use all those 38/357 bullets along with the many 35 bullets. The NOE clone of the RCBS 200 Flatnose is ideal in the 35. It is an OK elk rifle with the 220 Speer at 2200 fps. Accuracy is outstanding, MOA with some jacketed and cast bullets. Size to .360 to start, the Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is just one of a 'classic old reliable' with a solid reputation of getting the job done, just a pleasant rifle to work with. Most Marlin's will mount a scope easily( a small scope please).

Boolit Master
    My 375Win is a top eject Win BB94. It’s chamber is cut long enough to use 38-55 so that is what brass I use in it. Prices on a nice 375 seem to be above what you could fine a good 35 Remington for.

Boolit Buddy
    If I wanted to hunt deer in Iowa I would get the .375 Win as it is legal for deer and the 35 Remington is not.

How do you like those regulations?
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Brass for both seems uncommon.
    Our SW has bags of the 35 Remington Hornady brass, and the one LGS that keeps used shells has thousands of 35 Remington shells. 375 Winchester is another issue, but I got some new brass off MidwayUSA (not Starline) just recently and there are folks out there making it.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

well won a GB auction on jm 336 in 35 remington, now the real fun starts, molds, dies, brass and whole lot of range time.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ok Slownsteady22, here is my two cents worth. I am assuming you have no long gun at this time, and I am assuming you plan on shooting cast as the main diet for this new toy. I have had my 375 since 1984. They still offered both the 200 and the 250 grain at that time. The 250 was and is the best of the two IMHO. I started casting for this back in 99 as I was in the firearms industry and started to see the direction this caliber was going, but I really liked having a short lever with a potent caliber. But I digress, I think much has to do with what you will be hunting most with the new caliber, I have taken both mule deer and elk with this caliber, abet at short distance, but then again I got it for up and close work in the woods. With the cost of finding one of these today and unless you are ready to deal with reforming brass or drop a large dime for a one time purchase of two to three hundred pcs of brass when they are available then here is what I would do if I were in your shoes and knowing what I know. I would look to find a Marlin lever, full length tube magazine, cowboy action rifle with ballard rifiling in 38/55. Here is my reasoning, (1)your talking calibers that are short range woods calibers, (2) heavy for bore bollits are in order, 264 grain or so fills the bill here, full length magazine gives you enough rounds to get the job done, straight wall takes care of new state laws for deer hunting ie Iowa, and the Marlin allows top mount for scope if you want a scope on it. Brass is available, moulds are available, and you will have a ball casting, shooting, and hunting with it. Look for a Marlin 336CB

Last edited by MOA; 10-12-2017 at 10:20 PM.

I am thinking..........going to buy one of the above mentioned calibers in a lever action. Looking for recomendations and advice on what caliber you would buy.

Thanks Ryan.

Ryan......Buy the 375 BB Winchester ! 4-600$ pick up the 38-55 brass or use 32WS. or 30-30 brass and re size !!! easy work and lots of cheap once fired
    brass to choose from or New!!!! Reduce the Max load 10% and it will shoot forever !!! and If you blow out a brass No Big Deal ! Nothing Lost !! just add
    another brass of your choice !!! The 10% reduction you will never know the difference unless you have a Recoil Meter LoL Real Rifling. Ya cant go wrong!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

In Remembrance
    Did I hear someone say you can scope a marlin CB, that is just plain wrong, even with old eyes. lol

Boolit Master
    What I would buy.>Neither.
    I'm a practical kind of fellow. I shoot a couple 300 Savages. One's a carbine. The other is a (long barreled) rifle.
    Never found a 35 Rem that could match the old 300 Sav for putting "Brown on the Ground." Just the 35 owners always bloviating that they can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast