MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 375 win, or 35 remington.........

375 win, or 35 remington.........

I am thinking..........going to buy one of the above mentioned calibers in a lever action. Looking for recomendations and advice on what caliber you would buy.

Thanks Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

375 Win is effectively dead. Just look at the price of ammo on GunBroker. I believe there was a recent production run of brass. But it was many many years since it was last produced.

35 Remington production is seasonal. It's always available here but it's a popular cartridge in the North East. It's on life support but it's still around.

I have both. I never shoot the 375. For what I hunt the 35 Remington will handle it. And if it won't I have other rifles that will.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 35 Rem, 375 Win and 45/70 lever guns. For hunting with cast I normally use the 45/70. For jacketed the 35 Rem. The 375 doesn't see much hunting use.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...375-Winchester

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/v...hp?f=1&t=24492

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=159
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-08-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Cool guns, just a point to look at:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/375-winchester/br?cid=7540
    https://www.midwayusa.com/35-remington/br?cid=7538
    https://www.midwayusa.com/45-70-government/br?cid=22388
    three calibers the 375 and 35 a neck and neck on performance. If you are reloading then either one will work. However, I've been looking at the 35 for a while as well as a 38-55. The two 35 cal's only have one and 5 ammo options from Midway, however, the 45-70 has 39. I also have to put the plug in for the 44mag lever. All will get the job done.

Banned
    slownsteady22,

While I've never owned a .375 Winchester, I have owned & hunted extensively with a Marlin 336T in .35 Remington & liked it very much. - Personally, I don't think that there is a better WT/hog/black bear cartridge in a moderately priced carbine/LA rifle that won't "kick your head off" for hunting out to 150 M & perhaps 50M more than that.
    (In the area where I routinely hunt, ranges are close & the brush is thick. - Imo, a quick second shot is IMPORTANT & the LA carbines/rifles fit that requirement well.)

Looking at the paper ballistics for the .375 Winchester, there seems to be little to choose from between the .35REM & the .375 Winchester.
    (In fact the .35 REM a has slightly superior ballistic coefficient at ranges beyond 150M & therefore has better wind resistance & deeper penetration, given a similar bullet.)

All that said, I prefer my pump-rifle in .300 Savage with 180 grain bullets over the .35 REM or the .375 Winchester. = My 60+YO Model 760 is the rifle that I routinely reach for hunting in the south TX brush country.

just my OPINIONS, tex

Boolit Buddy

The 35 Remington is far and away the more common of the two. The 375 Win is the more powerful as it was designed as a high-pressure alternative of the 38/55. SAAMI specs the CUP Max service pressure for the 35 Remington at 35,000 CUP where the 375 Win is up at 52,000 CUP. The latest SAAMI specs are in PSI and I don't even see the 375 Win listed anymore. The 375 is expensive to buy and factory ammo is likewise expensive and often hard to find. Most folks who shoot the 375 Win on even a semi-regular basis reload. Also as was mentioned the 35 Remington is much more pleasant to shoot as far as recoil. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

Even though brass is hard to find, it can be had in a pinch by reforming other brass. The 35 Remington can be made from 308 brass. 375 can also be formed from 30-30 brass, but may not handle the higher pressures of the 375 Winchester.
    If I had to choose on just brass or Ammo available, I'd go with the 35 Remington.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    My choice would be .35 Rem, the deer just hear the shot and fall down dead. But don't get an old fashioned lever gun, get the modern Model 8 Remington, the rifle the cartridge was designed for!

Banned
    Gewehr-Guy,

ROTFL.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I have and hunt with both, but the 35 is a Rem 141. I like my 375 BB94 for its light weight and handyness. My 141 is scoped and weighs 2 lbs more. Both rounds are sure killers and for my use the brass is equally available. I load the 375 with 3855 starline, the 35 I have no trouble finding brass. Factory ammo availability is a no issue, we cast and reload. Pick a rifle you like and load it with whichever it's chambered for. Better yet, get one of each like a lot of us fickle folk !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I've got both as well as 44mg & 45/70. In my state 375w is legal deer cartridge, that's the only
    reason I own them. I would much rather use the 35Rem than any of the 3 legal calibres I own.
    I have shot a lot of deer with the 35cal , it's excellent choice for eastern woods deer hunting.
    I used the 200gr RN bullet in all my 35s.

Boolit Master

I'll have the straightwall case with the rim please! just trim .38-55 brass to length, and revel in not sweating where the gas checks or lube grooves sit in the neck.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Thanks for all the information, seems to me a 35 remington is the wiser choice.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

The .35 Remington is my pick due to bullet choice alone.
    If I didn't own a .358 (which I load to .35 Rem levels)- I would definitely have a .35!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    But it was many many years since it was last produced.
    Far from true. Winchester does annual "seasonal" runs (of this and many other calibers), and our local Sportsmans Warehouse just went thru a case of new Winchester Super-X. I was able to buy quite a few boxes of it for my own Marlin 375. It is best if you reload. Buffalo Bore also does a "heavy" load for the 375 Winchester.

I own both, and while you could probably get by with just the 35 Remington, the 375 Winchester makes a very nice sized hole in game. Both rounds are improved with handloads, however.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

That was the first run of 375 ammo in a long time. Buy it now while you can get it.

Banned

The .35 Remington has the advantage that any bullet for .38/.357 revolvers works in it for plinkers.

Brass for both seems uncommon. I did get new Starline brass for .38-55 which could be used for the .375. I have enough .35 Remington brass to last a long time, but it does seem hard to find new.

If I had to choose, I'd take the .35 Remington every time. It's a wonderful little cartridge that kills deer way better than its paper ballistics would lead you to believe.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If I had to choose, I'd take the .35 Remington every time. It's a wonderful little cartridge that kills deer way better than its paper ballistics would lead you to believe.
    This is exactly why it's a popular cartridge in the North East. The term brush gun is over used. And you want to avoid shooting through it. But the 35 Remington performs admirably in thick woods.

On the subject of 375w and use of 38/55 brass. This will work but the 38/55 and 30/30 are both
    drawn on same button. Instead of buying 38/55 brass 30/30 can be easily fire formed to 375w.
    The draw back to this is the 38/55-30/30 cases are not as heavy as the 375w case. I would not
    advise firing full power 375s / Jacketed bullets from these cases. I know a lot of guys claim they
    do, that's fine. Me with these cases I load cast at 38/55 power levels. 5gr bullseye with corn meal
    filler will blow 30/30s out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The .35 Remington has the advantage that any bullet for .38/.357 revolvers works in it for plinkers.

Brass for both seems uncommon. I did get new Starline brass for .38-55 which could be used for the .375. I have enough .35 Remington brass to last a long time, but it does seem hard to find new.

I have 4, 35R rifles- Rem 8-81-14-141. I have found all these rifles shoot the 200gr RN bullets
    much better than 35 spire points. I have a 141 and have loaded it with 357 JHPs 158gr / 37.5 gr
    of IMR-3031 at approx 2300fps. It would make a mess out of groundhogs. The lighter 357 bullets
    I couldn't get them to shoot good enough to suit me. I have also used Speer 180 Fn, accuracy
    was ok but expansion wasn't as good as 200gr Horn. RN. My deer load is 200gr RN/ 36.0 gr of
    IMR-3031 at approx 2000 fps. I have used other powders but 3031 seems to be best for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast