RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 375 win, or 35 remington.........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The main difference between 30/30 and 375W is in case head area, not necessarily case walls. About 3 shots of stout 375W, which means 4x brass. We saw signs of perforation that would lead to separation. Most likely the next loading. I was shooting 235-270 & 300gr jackets. I was working on 235gr Speer semi spitzer in #3 Rugers. I have shot a lot of deer in Eastern states. Most deer are shot under 100yds. So a 300magnum is no more a deer killer than a 30/30. A HV rifle in the woods is a waste, in open it has advantage. Neither the Deer nor the bullet cares whether it was fired from a 30/30 or 300. It’s all in the shooter and the hit.
    How did the 235 Speer work as far as expansion?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Old thread - I have Savage 99 in 375 Win, Marlin's in 35 Rem, 444, 45-70. Starline or Hornady, others, make brass for all. 35 Rem is current in Marlin production. Most are leverguns - if you need 'straight' case, then 375 Win, 444 or 45-70. If you just want a good deer/black beer rifle, not much difference between 35 Rem or 375 Win, but take a look at the 300 Savage in used rifles, might be better than either in almost all cases with jacketed bullets, though if you MUST kill with cast boolits, the 444 or 45-70 are better than either.

Boolit Master
    I`d keep an eye out for a used .356 Winchester, a better cal. than those other two esp. with a 250 grain flat point cast boolit.

Boolit Man
    For those states that require a straight case Starline is currently making .375 cases and it is in stock

Boolit Master

I know this is an old thread but something I have not seen anyone mention concerning the .375 winchester, 1 winchester put it on a 20 inch barrel which limits it ablities, 2 put a 26 inch barrel on it and it becomes a totally different rifle, 3 winchester should have put a 24 inch barrel on it and also retailed its ammo for less cost and it would have faired much better. For that matter if I could find any of the bb winchesters it would be fun to see what they could do with a 24/26 inch barrel instead of the 20 inch they came with. YMMV
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    375 Win is effectively dead. Just look at the price of ammo on GunBroker. I believe there was a recent production run of brass. But it was many many years since it was last produced.

35 Remington production is seasonal. It's always available here but it's a popular cartridge in the North East. It's on life support but it's still around.

I have both. I never shoot the 375. For what I hunt the 35 Remington will handle it. And if it won't I have other rifles that will.
    375 winchester only dead if you want it to be - can make any amount of workable brass for it from 30/30
    all it takes is 3/8" bolt that fits one of your reloading dies - put it ina drill press and file/sand/polish a nice taper on it and they will form in one pass

Boolit Master

If you only want to shoot what is on the gun store shelves then 2024 should be an interesting year for you. Maybe we should only talk about what is currently available and all the old stuff, 44-40, 32-20,25-20, 256 win mag,225 winchester,375 winchester, 356 winchester, 307 winchester to name a few should never be mentioned because it takes effort to still shoot these fine calibers. For me if I could would love to be able to find one of these fine firearms and find a way to still shoot them. Sadly they are out of my price range and many I haven't seen for sale for a very long time. So have folks just put them in the back of gun safe and forgotten them? Or are they still being used and just not talked about much anymore. You know at one point in time they said the 220 swift was heading into the dead pile. Just saying because it is a little harder to find brass for a firearm doesn't make it dead. YMMV
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you can only use factory ammo, then there is no reason to consider anything other than the standard bolt action cartridges ('06, .308, .270, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc.) or .30-30. Maybe .45-70, if you don't mind paying $2.50 a shot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Starline has 375 Win. on back order which means they will be making some in the not to distant future. https://www.starlinebrass.com/375-win.

I have about 400 pieces of Win. 375 Win.brass, just ordered 250 pieces of 38-55 Win. to try in my Win. BB 375 Win. It will have to be trimmed, I wanted to try B/P so a thinner case and annealing should give good results.

I started reading this thread not realizing it was old at first. I was blown away at how many people posted about the availability of loaded ammo. I thought, what website am I on? Weirdos
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Very old thread, now the 360 Buck Hammer has been created to solve the PROBLEM?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    I know this is an old thread but something I have not seen anyone mention concerning the .375 winchester, 1 winchester put it on a 20 inch barrel which limits it ablities, 2 put a 26 inch barrel on it and it becomes a totally different rifle, 3 winchester should have put a 24 inch barrel on it and also retailed its ammo for less cost and it would have faired much better. For that matter if I could find any of the bb winchesters it would be fun to see what they could do with a 24/26 inch barrel instead of the 20 inch they came with. YMMV
    just winchester playing to their market I think ...american shooters on the average want short barrels
    supposedly to improve handling in the bush/brush
    When I go bush it is imperative I can hear whats going on around me - with a light 24 or 26 inch barrel in these calibres I can do that - fire a few shots and still hear the twigs break under my feet when i get clumsy. Fire one shot from a 16 or 20 inch even in 44/40 and the bells are ringin - if you gonna wear ear protection out there and put it on for a shot - ................................................he s long gone and laughin before you get organised

The brass for both is available on order, if necessary. For most folks in the lower 48, the 35s will do nicely. However, If reloading, I personally can always load down. So would, on equal basis choose the 375, say, with an old Marlin 336 in 375 VS a 35 Rem. But for cast, there is not much difference at all if you are hunting hogs or deer. I have a Win 94 XTR 375 and several various power levels of 358 rifles so am very framiliar with the comparisons. The cast bullets make the higher power levels, a moot point, but more power is always an option, with a bullet change, plus with a stronger rifle action and more case capacity.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If the OP can reload (almost a given on this forum), I say .375. .38-55 brass can be used as per Buffalo Bore and is usually much easier to find that either .375 or .35.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Nothing at all against a .375 but I'll take a .35 Remington all day long.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Nothing at all against a .375 but I'll take a .35 Remington all day long.
    that would mean a marlin in my safe ? ...........................not happening

FWIW the 375 is long gone too - sad story there - sold it to a little islander guy in our club -- him and his mates had a messed up weekend on the kava and other craziness - neighbors objected - the boys acted up some more - cops came - guns confiscated - that Big Bore Winchester went in the crusher (maybe?) I prefer to think one of the cops with good taste "saved" it .

I upgraded to a 38/55 (fell onto a bunch of once fired winchester brass on a trade blanket first) then found a 94 with 24" octagonal barrel

Boolit Bub
    I have 375BB in the Model 94 carbine. It's a beauty from the 90's. I am the only owner. I reload for it and have found great accuracy from it. It's light weight and can bring down practically any NA animal with exceptions of course. It does kick smartly. I'll never let it go. It's totally reliable and capable. It won't die here. I have a lot of brass and never had a failure after reloading quite a lot. My next mold will be for that rifle.

Boolit Master
    I use the .375, but only because that's what I have. Either one will certainly get the job done.

Just a quick note on using .38-55 brass in the .375 Win. Check chamber depth in your rifle.
    I have switched over to using Starline .38-55 2.08" cases for full throttle loads. They chamber freely and most rifles I examined have chambers cut longer than necessary for the 2.02" .375 Win. case length specified. I never had any 2.125" .38-55 cases also produced by Starline, so I can't say whether they are usable as-is, but trimming is always an option. I hear comments that .38-55 brass is weaker, but they are all solid head cases and have noticed no reduction in case life or other irregularities. They do tend to be a touch thinner at the case mouth, which allows me to load a fatter boolit for better centering/sealing/accuracy.

My general practice is to paper patch boolits in both the .35's and the .375, which reduces metal fouling to zero and makes any cast boolit of near diameter a candidate for use. I don't have a .35 Rem, but I always wondered how improved the terminal effect of a 180gr RNFP boolit I have a mold for would be coming out of one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234