RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scpoing the SMLE

We are thinking along the same lines but I'm not opposed to the windage end being on the front if need be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If any of you Enfield tinkerers have one, I need a dark walnut forearm or cutoff forearm tip for a No.4 Mk1. I'm trying to restore a Long Branch No.4 that was sporterized by cutting the forearm just forward of the barrel band.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303mount  old pic off the early internet.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	207278
    This is a pic off the early internet ~~ 16 years ago.
    Google search image... it was exactly 16 years ago
    http://www.303british.com/id32.html

Name:	DSCF0001ScopeMount303.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	207279
    Here is a pic of my early gunsmithing, trying to copy that pic. It works... but not as elegant.

Boolit Bub
    I had used the ATI "friction" mount on my SMLE. I could not keep it from shifting. At one range session, after about 15 shots, the mount popped off the gun. I then dimpled the loading charger guide for the set screws to rest in, but still found it would not hold a zero. My SMLE is now just set up with open sights.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	DSCN5657.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	207647 Not the best picture and I have no idea what base that is on it, or who might have done the work , but it is solid and it has some version of an Alpine scope on it. It belonged to my cousin who passed last year. I was fortunate enough to buy it before it went to the public market. Hope I helped you some. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Caster I'm sorry anout your cousin. That sort of looks Weaver-ish. I like how low it sits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Caster I'm sorry anout your cousin. That sort of looks Weaver-ish. I like how low it sits.

Texas by God, i think your right about it being weaverish. It shoots jwords pretty well and when i first took possession of it my dad and I shot quite a few PP boolits through it. After a severe barrel scouring. Years of grunge built up in there. It still isn't like a mirror, but it looks WAY WAY better than it did and accuracy has improved dramatically with jwords. Looking forward to shooting some cast out of it(non PPthat is).- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    TBG,
    Checkout this thread, I posted pic of one I made for a No4, one similar could be fit to a SMLE.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-No-4-Enfield

I made this scope base from an alloy bicycle crank arm. It's keyed, glued and screwed onto the charger bridge and glued and screwed onto the receiver ring. You can see the receiver ring part has been turned to suit the radius of the ring. That thing is so solid it survived the drop test.

I machined the dovetails after mounting. It wasn't quite finished at that stage.

I happen to have a long neck so for me a high scope is better plus the butt fits me well. Recoil is no problem since the gun is fitted with a semi-suppressor.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

I made this scope base from an alloy bicycle crank arm. It's keyed, glued and screwed onto the charger bridge and glued and screwed onto the receiver ring. You can see the receiver ring part has been turned to suit the radius of the ring. That thing is so solid it survived the drop test.

I machined the dovetails after mounting. It wasn't quite finished at that stage.

I happen to have a long neck so for me a high scope is better plus the butt fits me well. Recoil is no problem since the gun is fitted with a semi-suppressor.
    Nice work there 303guy. Looks good. Just goes to show how if ya have the will there is a way. Of course the proper tools make it a lot easier. Lol Thanks for sharing . - CASTER

I'm taking 303guy's lead sort of. I'm using a #82 (HandiRifle) Weaver base. Here I've glued it using ductseal and candle wax to keep the JBweld in place. I'll drill&tap the front and blind pin the back, then re paint the old girl.

Every time I see my mis-typed title of this thread I envision a spring getting launched who knows where.....

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

DIY SMLE scope mount

You need a milling machine to make it but this is my version of mounting a scope on an Enfield. It's secured at the center with a small L-bracket and a screw and at the rear I used the same cross-pin that secured the factory peep site.

The very front is secured simply by a layer of two-sided tape. Since the recoil force is upward toward the underside of the scope mount, the two-sided tape serves both as a sort of vibration dampener and a semi permanent attachment point. I've had it in place for a few years now and it's held solid. This particular rifle is strictly a cast bullet shooter so the recoil is generally not that great.

HollowPoint

I've made notes of all the #4 mounts and thanks to all who showed them; but this thread is about a #1 mkIII SMLE- very different.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple of No1 rifles that I've had came to me w/scopes on them. They were both fitted with a Weaver base (#TO-1 I believe is the Weaver base number).
    Simple 2 screws into the rec'vr ring and one into the charger bridge.
    They held fine and shot accurately. They'd be simple to install. The SMLE recv'rs are not hard.
    Bolt needs no alteration with any reasonable mount height, the manual Safety a non-issue of course.

Don't know about the #4 rifle,,never had any interest in those.

I did remove the scope and mounts on both and plugged the holes making them go away as the rifles were being restored.
    But if I were to want a scope on one, that is what I would use. I'm not a fan of optics so it may never come to pass.
    But age has a way of changing your mind sometimes..

Boolit Buddy
    What are you all doing to raise the comb/cheek piece on the stock? I removed my scope and mount cause I just did not like having to lift my head to see through the scope. Thought about finding a cheap stock and add some wood, them shape to suit me. But would love hear about any other options. Be well all.

Duster, that's why I'm trying to get this mount as low as I can.
    I can't stand high mounted scopes. I had a Romanian PSL and I had to bite the stock and use my left eye to use the scope.

Here it is glued and screwed. I don't feel pinning is needed. I made anchor points in the mount and filled the stripper notches with JB weld. I hope it works, it looks as good as the gun does. In keeping with the economy theme my scope choice is a 4x I had in the cabinet. It's still higher than I wanted but hey.
    Thomas

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Every time I see my mis-typed title of this thread I envision a spring getting launched who knows where.....

My first No 4 Enfield scope base had an epoxy connection. That scope popped off with the first shot. That was ~ 17 years ago.

Since then I have epoxy in compression. The shear and tension forces in any center fire are countered with drilled and tapped holes in the receiver.
    I could probably get away with an epoxy connection in rimfire, but I have not done it.

I plan on shooting 40 full power rounds on It's first outing. That should tell me something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast