Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scpoing the SMLE

Scpoing the SMLE

Who has one with a good scope setup.
    Mine is shooter grade so drilling and tapping is ok.
    I've looked at old threads but nothing has jumped out as solid to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Williams Gun Sight company sells a side mount plate that will fit the flat sided #4 style actions and there is another piece that fits the plate. Weaver may still sell a one piece base that fits on the charger guide and requires holes in the charger guide and front receiver ring. You can use either Weaver rings or Burris Zee rings that have the polymer inserts to prevent ring damage to the scope. And failing all that good old angle iron. Don't laugh as there are few threads showing how the angle iron was modified to fit on the #4 action body. Frank

Boolit Master
    S&K Scope Mounts makes "bolt on" bases for most of the SMLE patterns. Both of these replace the original rear sight with no alteration to the rifle. As the #1 has a barrel-mounted rear sight you will need an extended eye relief "scout" scope. I have used their bases on several of the #4 patterns and find them very satisfactory. Considering there is no alteration to the rifle, no machine work to be done, and the process can be reverted to original configuration, this may be your best bet.

Boolit Grand Master

Go to the SMLE Collector site to see some that work including one made of angle iron. IMHO the screw on mounts hold zero better than the clamp on. The Weaver uses a tip off mount and 22 rings and is not as sturdy as the side mount.

Here's the last one I did:

Attachment 205485

First I tried an S&K mount, because I've always had good luck with them, but then changed it out for an ATI because the method of attachment seemed more solid. On the rifle both look very similar. There is no drilling/tapping involved, the charger guide is used. I just checked and the ATI is available from Walmart for just under $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

Attachment 205485

First I tried an S&K mount, because I've always had good luck with them, but then changed it out for an ATI because the method of attachment seemed more solid. On the rifle both look very similar. There is no drilling/tapping involved, the charger guide is used. I just checked and the ATI is available from Walmart for just under $35.
    I was thinking of the ATI mount but wasn't sure of the solidness of the clamping. I don't like the IER scope setups and thanks for the replies everyone but I did state it was a SMLE not a #4. Der Gebirgsjager; if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me. Thanks all!

Boolit Master
    I have used the Weaver TO-1 that fits the charger bridge and the receiver ring on several rifles with no problems, it will work on both the #1 and the #4. The rifle does have to be drilled and tapped. I added a piece to the butt stock similar to the sniper rifle.

It does use tip-off rings but it has a stop crimped in the rail. On one I added a stop to place the scope for proper eye relief. Just buy a set of quality rings.

I would just look at all options, not one size fits all and once those holes are bored, well you know. With a bit of tinkering and load work a good Enfield will do much better than most people think. Hope you find what works for you.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.I'll check into that one also.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

Attachment 205485

This is the way to mount a scope on a #4 Mk1

It is the easiest way and you can go back if you want to. Either S&K or ATI will do the same thing.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Who has one with a good scope setup.
    Mine is shooter grade so drilling and tapping is ok.
    I've looked at old threads but nothing has jumped out as solid to me.

This is a Williams mount I installed a while ago on an SMLE. I've done a couple more since and have only used the Williams, so I can't comment on the others.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smaller 1.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	206361

Name:	Smaller 2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	206362

Although installing them is easy (using a mill), you must remove the charger guide.
    The ring caps are a little thin, but serviceable. When installed, the mount is rigid.
    What I don't like about this mount is that it is VERY high above the bore. You end up with a "chin weld" to the original Enfield buttstock, as opposed to a cheek weld. I suppose an aftermarket stock with a cheek rest would make the gun more shootable, but... the scope is very high.

Looking at Der Gebirgsjager's pictures, that scope looks high as well.
    Last edited by John 242; 10-22-2017 at 12:53 PM.

I have an idea to low mount a base on top of the front ring with the rear part inside & pinned to the charger bridge. Wheels are turning because I like low mounts too.

Boolit Master
    The SMLE is less easy to scope with home-made mounts than the flat-sided No4.

On a rifle like this I would like the 1950s external adjustment Bausch and Lomb scopes, in which I have a great belief. They are suitably archaic and yet have good optical performance. They did make bases for both Lee-Enfield actions, but I would be wary of this firm, which I have heard was taken over by someone of uncertain reliability after a fire and the owner's retirement. It does give a good picture of the merchandise, though, and you might find the right mount on eBay if you put up a followed search with e-mailed notifications. That is how I got one for my Mannlicher-Schoenauer. They also used to be marketed under the name Kuharsky.

http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts.....com/index.htm

Thanks BiS. I've had a couple of B&L scopes over the years; they were optically perfect but in my youthful ignorance I sold or traded them because of the fine crosshairs. I do remember making profit on both however!

Boolit Buddy
    This guy may have something of interest:

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/i...ld_accessories

I built this for my wife many moons ago. The scout mount works very well.

Name:	303 Brit Action And Scope.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	206553
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

I love the stock on yours. What make/model of receiver sight is that?

Williams but I don't remember the exact model, it's one of the flat sided ones though. That was one of the first projects I did when I was apprenticing as a gunsmith. Set the barrel back a thread, re-chambered, cut the bridge, reshaped the trigger guard, peep rear sight, scout base soldered on, polishing, rust blue, stocked(w/cross pin and ebony tip) from an almost exhibition grade piece of walnut that I got for cheap because it had a few small visible checks. I hand rubbed that stock a few drops at a time for more layers than I can remember till it felt like my fingertips fell off. Engraved the grip cap...it seems like an eternity ago now.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Not sure how much you want to spend on the project, but if you want a high quality mount you might want to look into Addley Precision. He might have a US distributor that sells his mounts?

http://addleyprecision.com/
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Here's another vote for the S&K no gunsmithing scope mounts. I have two and they work well.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have an idea to low mount a base on top of the front ring with the rear part inside & pinned to the charger bridge. Wheels are turning because I like low mounts too.
    That is an idea which has always appealed to me. It is a short receiver ring, but one that escaping gas can't get into as it can with a front locking action. I believe I would use Redfield-style mounts with the rotary part at the front end. Then you only need to get the rear mount level with it, as you have coarse windage adjustment in the mount.

I believe I would keep the charger guide, or something replacing it. Temporarily remove it, and you could silver solder the rear mount to it. I must admit I would prefer to keep anodised aluminium alloy away from a rifle like this. In the words of Gilbert and Sullivan, true love must be without alloy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast