WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4th Ed. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Review

Boolit Buddy

4th Ed. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Review

I got my copy last Friday. Read it over the weekend. My overall impression is very good.

Mike Venturino wrote most of the chapters which are easy to understand and does contain info of interest to experienced casters, but as others have opined the book is more geared towards beginning casters. Bryan Pierce wrote a chapter on lead fouling which I found interesting and provided a better understanding of reasons for fouling in revolvers. There is also a chapter on the physical properties of lead and lead alloys. Also included is an updated burn rate chart for powders in the back of the book. A cross reference provides top punches matched to individual bullet molds which I found handy also.

While there was a chapter on bullet lube, it was general in nature. I wish Mike had included more info on how to actually lube a bullet using a lube-sizer as that is an area that I have always had problems with. I just can never seem to get the lube-sizer adjusted right to lube bullets without making a mess. I gave up and switched to pan lubing as a result of my problems in this area.

In the load data section, all Lyman moulds are covered for each caliber, while normally at least 2 Lee molds, 2 RCBS molds, and 2 SAECO molds are included also. The new .327 Fed Magnum, 6.5-284, 30 AR, and other new calibers have data included. I was disappointed that some of the older BP cartridges were left out, i.e. .40-90, any of the Sharps Bottlenoses, etc.

As expected, the handbook extolled the virtures of Lyman products, but I did not find that a problem. All of the Lyman products I have used work well and as Lyman published the book that is to be expected.

For the price, I believe the book is worth purchasing, if for no other reason than the updated load data in the back half of the book.

Moderator Emeritus

Were new powders included?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    How does it compare to the 3rd edition????
    Anything new in it????
    I have the 2nd and 3rd, and the're almost the same.
    3rd had a little more info, but not much more load date.

Moderator Emeritus
    I suppose I had better make room in the bookcase for a copy. The only problem would be which book to get rid of or should I just build another bookcase.

I think I need a new bookcase.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the review! I was going to order the book this week. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to casting, so I hope theres some good beginner info!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    Paladin, if the 4th Edition is anything like the Cast Bullet Manual 3rd Edition, it will be perfect for beginners. That's how I got into casting, still have a copy at hand. They're good reference material, for sure.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post

I didn't look through it all yet.....just got it from Midway today. But, I did see trail Boss listed on one.
    TCG
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    Paladin, if the 4th Edition is anything like the Cast Bullet Manual 3rd Edition, it will be perfect for beginners. That's how I got into casting, still have a copy at hand. They're good reference material, for sure.

Ron
    i was on this forum for a few months before i bought the 3rd edition.

it was a let down. from the few months on this forums i learned far more than that book contained.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I probably should have said new loads worked up with powders that I had not seen used in that cartridge before in anybody else's data. For instance a lot of loads for Trail Boss in calibers I have never seen it used in before. Another instance is that I have never seen load data for the .22-250 using 5744 before, but it is included with all cast bullets in that cartridge and listed as the potentially most accurate load with all the bullets listed. I have used a lot of 5744 in my big bores (.45-70 and .40-65) but was surprised to see it used in a .22 caliber.

From what checking I have done from the 3rd edition to the 4th, there is considerable difference in powder selection in the cartridges I reload for. I am sure that there is probably a lot of overlap in some cartridges, but there is enough new data to make the book worth buying.

Boolit Master

It is out of stock at Midway already.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    It is out of stock at Midway already.
    I ordered one from Midsouth Shooter's Supply Sunday, got an e-mail yesterday saying it shipped.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master

Just ordered mine at Midsouth, cheaper than midway too.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    ...Another instance is that I have never seen load data for the .22-250 using 5744 before, but it is included with all cast bullets in that cartridge and listed as the potentially most accurate load with all the bullets listed. I have used a lot of 5744 in my big bores (.45-70 and .40-65) but was surprised to see it used in a .22 caliber
    5744 is Mike Venturino's favorite cast bullet rifle powder. If you read his articles, you'll see it a lot in the load tables, and he has pretty much said so outright. He claims it is one of very few powders that can be loaded in rifle cartridges having enough bulk that it nearly fills the case, eliminating fillers, and has never caused him a hang- or mis-fire. His choice of this powder doesn't surprise me.

I haven't used it enough to comment one way or the other.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 11-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Paladin, the Lyman book is good to have as they all have plenty of material that you will use and go back to for reference. Thank You For Your Service And WELCOME HOME!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold
    My copy must be missing a Page. Only 3 different boolits for the 30-30. Come on Lyman it is perhaps the most reloaded round in North America. Three new undersized molds in a row and now this I am about done. RCBS how but stepping up and showing Lyman how to put out a real Manual!
    Last edited by Leadbelly; 12-01-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    I would be unstoppable, if I could get started.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    I suppose I had better make room in the bookcase for a copy. The only problem would be which book to get rid of or should I just build another bookcase.

I think I need a new bookcase.
    New bookcase, my friend. New bookcase.

I'm adding another wall of bookshelves upstairs in our loft and library area. The wife wants to *gasp* get rid of some books, and I told her SHE might go before some of those books might go.

To be fair, she is willing to get rid of her books, but I'm not giving up any of mine.

I'm gonna have to check out this new Lyman book. It sounds like a good addition to the (already crowded) shelves.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    thank you for your service and welcome home!!
    ditto
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

I have Lyman Cast Bullet books numbers 1,2 and 3. Number 4 is a must have for me. I am really glad they got Mike to do it.

Boolit Master
    A big brown truck delivered mine today. I will begin reading it this evening.
    ph4570

In Remembrance

Only had a chance to skim thru mine that came yesterday from MidSouth. Couldn`t help but notice the virtual disappearance of most, if not all, the old Lyman molds. Only new and currently made Lyman molds listed, as far as I can see. Some calibers are only listed with a LEE or RCBS or a Saco mold for their load data. I did notice a few newer powders listed. I`ll read and compare data more carefully tonight. Don`t get me wrong, I`m glad they have made a new manual. Just saddened to see the dropping of the older molds and data.Robert

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast