Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Blue Dot question in 10mm.

Boolit Master

Blue Dot question in 10mm.

Just reloaded some 10mm,180g fmj' with 10.6g blue dot to shoot at a friends place this weekend along with other guns. While he was shooting my glock 29 I took a video of him shooting. When we went to view it we noticed that while most of the shots had nice flame BUT some of the rds had NO flame. This was slow firing not blasting away.
    All of the shells were loaded at same time,all charges were checked on scale +\- .1g and same OAL & crimp fer all.
    Any ideas why? We just curious.
    In the past we had some good pictures of Fire ring when shooting a Blackhawk .357
    I'm almost afraid to think photo shooting might be a future hobbie ! Lord help me.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Blue Dot question in 10mm.

I can't help w/ the answer but that's really odd. The only two things Blue Dot is good at in pistols is making a lot of noise and a large fireball.

Boolit Bub
    I can't answer the OP's question, I would suspect case length and crimp,but I will dispute Dragon's assessment of Blue Dot. It has a near perfect time/pressure curve for the 10mm. in a 1911 style auto-loading pistol.

Boolit Master
    FWIW We tried to take photos and video of muzzle flash with a digital camera and sometimes the flash just doesn’t appear on the replay even though everyone actually saw it.

Banned

Blue Dot is an excellent powder in the right applications.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend uses it in the 10. Mostly with heavy cast. I have no resource to send you.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have had some of the newer Hornady 10MM180 gr XTP ammo and pulled one. It had Blue Dot powder. No mistaking it.
    Now if it was commercial grade or canister grade I don't know. IF Blue Dot was so bad would they be using it?
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    The only two things Blue Dot is good at in pistols is making a lot of noise and a large fireball.
    You forgot the THRILL of the really freaky and unpredictable pressure excursions in .357 Mag. Almost had to buy a whole new set of clean underwear before I used up that pound of powder...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot suppose to be more stable from lot to lot now. At one time several years ago it was jumpy but one should be careful with any cartridge that has a small capacity such as the 9MM with any change of lot numbers of powder. Some more than others.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Timeing is everything especially when speaking about fractions of millisecond.........

Boolit Master
    iPhone video using the slo mode and a snap shot of the selected area of flash. I only had video of 3rds being fired but the 3 shot had no fire at all. Maybe the bbl temp plays a part in fireball ?? Way over my pay scale.
    Last edited by myg30; 10-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ruger SBH, .357,H110, bullet ?

8gr. of Blue Dot works very well with 180gr. cast bullets in my 40 S&W Hi-Point carbine. Also, My SILs 40 S&W High Power likes the same bullet with 7.5gr. BD. To each their own. Gp