Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: I have my Chunk Gun sorted out very well

Boolit Master

I have my Chunk Gun sorted out very well

A board member here sold me a 50 caliber chunk gun he bought years ago after an old fellow died but never had the chance to shoot it. I made a new stock out of some very fancy walnut and this past Wednesday had some real fun with it at 100 yards shooting patched round balls. Here are the specs: 38 in 1.125 across the flats Douglass XX stainless steel 1 in 48 twist barrel with a false muzzle. The lock and trigger are from Ron Long in Denver. I put an Unertl scope on it as it was drilled and taped for those blocks. With 80 grains of Goex FFG and 0.495 round ball and pillow ticking patches it was shooting one large hole at 50 yards and then later at 100 yards about the same.

So this past Wednesday I had shot half a dozen shots hitting the magic marker X's I was putting on my home made Shoot-N-See targets when a fellow shooting an AR15 asked how well it really shot and I said about the best I have at 100 yards. He said "oh yah" so I said how about you shooting my Shoot-N-See and I'll see if I can hit your bullet hole. He laughed and said well okay so away we went. He shot then I did and hit his bullet hole but not exactly. He shot again and so did I with better results and we repeated this several more times. Each time I hit his bullet impact and by this time we had 6 or 8 guys watching us. Finally I had to quit as I had trouble lifting that 18.5 pound rifle and the spectators said that was one of the best shooting guns they had ever seen! I agreed and said it came from WI where the rifles are made to really shoot!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on owning a gun few will see offered , it must be nice to own a shooter such as that and wish I had your abilities ! Sounds like a good day at the range .

Boolit Master
    I think the whole thing is that barrel. I called Douglas after I bought it from Emery to see how to take care of it and they remembered making it! Seems they do not make a lot of stainless XX muzzle loader barrels that large. When I shot it on my Lead Sled to get things sorted, it was shooting 5 shots in one ragged hole right away at 50 yards so I was pretty happy. That shooting the other day was with no wind which is very rare out at our range in the afternoon.

Boolit Grand Master

Black powder whipping up on black rifle, I like that, good job!
    Charter Member #148

Why it's called "Holy Black" - CONGRATS ! !

I'd like to see your chunk gun - especially the new stock you made for it !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thumbs up

Good for you, old racer!!! I'd like to see the rifle too.

In Remembrance
    I'm just glad to see that old rifle go to someone who put it to good use! Just goes to show you can't tell a book (or rifle) by its cover!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Here are two posts I made, first one is how the rifle looked when I got it from Emery. He said he thought it had shot pretty well?! The second one shows two pictures of the stock I have made to replace the original one. My mentor said the "parts" are pretty darn valuable so grab the rifle now! Thanks again Emery.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-BY-The-Stock!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...50-caliber-PRB