Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: .38 Special boolits

.38 Special boolits

I just picked up a .38 Special, and would like to try a few common boolits before settling down and buying a mold. Anybody have some .38 wadcutters in the 150gr range, and maybe some other style in the 125gr range?
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    I just picked up a .38 Special, and would like to try a few common boolits before settling down and buying a mold. Anybody have some .38 wadcutters in the 150gr range, and maybe some other style in the 125gr range?
    Got some Speer commercial 148gr hollow base wadcutters, lubed, probably swaged & dead soft. Would that work? How many do you need?

Don't have anything as light as 125gr, in cast. (Or J-words, for that matter.)

I've got some commercial cast (Georgia Arms) 158 gr round nose & flat point, I think. If you're interested I will check and verify.

Ed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I could send you some Ideal 358156 gas checked boolits to try out. That mold is an oldie but goody. I'll watch for a pm if you are interested.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Make sure you check out bullets from a Lee 125 gr RFN. They just seem to shoot good for me in .38 Spl or 9mm. And, the 6-cavity mold can make them in a hurry. I'm all out of these right now, but I have several bullets already cast up from some odd molds if you are still searching. Just PM me for a box of samples.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Make sure you check out bullets from a Lee 125 gr RFN. They just seem to shoot good for me in .38 Spl or 9mm. And, the 6-cavity mold can make them in a hurry. I'm all out of these right now, but I have several bullets already cast up from some odd molds if you are still searching. Just PM me for a box of samples.
    This Lee boolit is a good one!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    The 125 grain RFN with 3 grains of Trail Boss shoots well with very little recoil.
    My 10 year old grand son shoots this off of the bench with a large frame pistol. The wife and her sister shoot this a lot at the gun club.

I PM’d a couple of ya’ll. I really appreciate everybody’s generosity and offers to help me out.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Boolit Master

I've got about a ton of 158gr.SWC if you want some to try pm a address.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Have you slugged your barrel? Let me know what size you need. I may have some SWC PC in the 125 gr. range soon.

Boolit Master
    I have a love for .38/.357 and more so, .38 Special wadcutters! I don't have any of the following on hand but can cast some up.

• Hensley & Gibbs #50, A 148gr. Button-nose target WC, plain base.
    • Hensley & Gibbs #50BB, same as the #50 but this one is bevel base.
    • Hensley & Gibbs #251 (rare mold!) 148gr. double ended, beveled WC, 3 groove, designed for .38 Special Mid-Range for S&W Model 52 and other 38 mid range WC bullseye guns.
    • NOE 360-148-WC, a 148gr. hollow base WC (can be cast as a heavier solid base as well.)
    • Also have both LEE .38 WC molds, conventional grease groove, and TL
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Thanks for the help and generosity everybody. I really appreciate it.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

MP 360640 125gr HP mold is hands down my favorite 125gr class boolit. Same basic bullet as the lee but...better.

Very accurate and useful IMHO, Holds its weight when cast in WW's and run up to 2000 FPS out of .357 carbine barrels. Also does one shot wonders on ground hogs

I'll see if I have any lubed and sized, let me know if you're interested.
    My firearms project blog

Banned
    I have had good luck with Lee 6 CAVITY 358-148 WC

Boolit Master

Tinhorn resend your address your pm was deleted???
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Hollow base bullets are really slow to cast compared to plain base. You didn't say what type of 38 special you acquired. That may effect your decision such as if your gun has fix sights or adjustable. 90% of my 38 special shooting is done with 148 plain base wadcutters and or 158 SWC. The classic 148 wadcutter with 2.8 grains bullseye works as a cowboy action load and for recoil sensitive shooters in snub nose alloy frame guns.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Hollow base bullets are really slow to cast compared to plain base. You didn't say what type of 38 special you acquired. That may effect your decision such as if your gun has fix sights or adjustable. 90% of my 38 special shooting is done with 148 plain base wadcutters and or 158 SWC. The classic 148 wadcutter with 2.8 grains bullseye works as a cowboy action load and for recoil sensitive shooters in snub nose alloy frame guns.
    I’m shooting a Taurus Model 85. With so much talk about Bullseye, I guess I should probably pick up a pound.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70