Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Star dies that I make

Boolit Master

I had Chris make up some Star dies for me a couple of years ago. He does great work. None of my dies have shown any signs of wear and perform extremely well.

Chris is a master at his craft.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    Lathesmith I got my die, nut with setscrew & dished punch in the mail yesterday.
    Now I will have to cast some more 45-70 bollits to try it out this weekend.

When I get the funds I will have you make some more dies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast some boolits last weekend, setup the NEW Star die.
    It works great I had Lathesmith make it to .460.
    Nice to have a sizing die that only does minimal sizing.
    Last edited by Swede44mag; 03-22-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added die satisfaction report

I got the roller handle for my old Star...man should have done that long ago!
    Thanks Lathesmith

Boolit Buddy

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    Hello all,
    I wanted to post this thread to show and discuss the two types of Star dies that I have been making for the guys here. First, there is the "factory" flanged-style, by far the most popular, and I can also make the c-clip style on request. All of my dies are made from tool steel, I won't use anything less. These are typically hardened to 50+ Rockwell, and are quite wear- and abrasion- resistant, and make a nice long-lasting die.
    I am going to start offering what I call the "standard" die configuration. This is a hardened die, with 3 rows of holes for 3 lube grooves (and less), spaced approx. .125 apart. The first row is about .750 from the top of the die. This configuration will cover maybe 80 or 90 per cent of bullets out there. I can still do custom spacing, on request. Remember, you can always plug unneeded holes with 7 1/2 shot, this is easy to do, and this can always be (carefully) removed later if you need the extra row.
    Pricing for these "standard" dies is $37 for the flanged style, and $33 for the C-clip design. This includes shipping. I will still make available a non-hardened version; subtract $4 from either die price if you want this. I can take Paypal or money orders, your choice.
    Of course, I also offer punches for the Star; these run $13 each for the flat punch, and $15 each for the dished style that is popular with gas checks. I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion.
    Plain punch nuts run $4, punch nuts with setscrews are $7, and the roller "L" handle is $26 shipped. I can also make you a die removal tool if your sizer is missing this, they run $19 each.
    I would like to take this opportunity to say a big "thank you" to all the guys on the boards here that have supported me and helped get this project going. Also, together we have made a nice financial contribution to the boards here, and I will continue doing this periodically in the future. There are many satisfied users of these dies to date.
    Thanks again,
    lathesmith
    How do I order from you? I need a .314 die for my 327 Federal Magnum, using 115gr bullets. What's the turn around time? What forms of payment do you accept? If payment is by money order please reply to my email address with your snail mail address. I do not use Paypal. Thanks....tchepone
    Last edited by tchepone; 04-24-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added info, changed size.

Boolit Master
    Hello, ordering is easy, just send me a Private Message or email, and let me know what you want. Check or money order is fine for payment, and other arrangements can be made as needed. Normally it takes about 7-10 days from when I receive your payment to when your dies and things ship.

Thanks,
    lathesmith

Dished punches

Quote from lathesmith "I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion. "

Just read this, after I have received all three of my latesmith dies with dished punches. I dont recall seeing any distortion on base of bullets all my cast bullets are at 14 bhn or up per my Cabinetree hardness tester.

Question will it be worth while to trade and buy new flat base punches??
    We dont need no stinking store brought bullets.

Boolit Master
    tackstrp, my philosophy when it comes to the Star is simple: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or in this case, if what you are using works for you, there's no need to change it. Distortion can be a problem with softer slugs, and/or those that require a lot of effort to size down. Like I said, if the setup you are using works for you, keep using it.

lathesmith

changed dies according to the instructions using the die removal tools provided with my magna star sizer . Simple and easire to do than stuggling to use a wood dowel to push out from the bottom.

Been thinking using the set screw "nuts" on the punch allows changing dies and still have the orginal setting. I have an extra new unopend magna star sizer stored in a box. The only reason is can see keeping is to keep my wife from seeing the cash in my wallet. For some reason I thought I needed. So simple to change sizer dies that was a dumb reason to buy. Only plan on using Carnauba Red.

to continue my last post. I ran across this sample of how to set up air clyinder for an Arbor press. I happen to have that exact arbor press, the handle is turned backwards. Been looking and reading, seems that some one could put together a kit to automate the star sizer or other kinds of presses with a handle. Clippard will send sample products to OEM should you want to try building a kit. Would need a air clyinder, foot air valve, a air controller for the return stroke on a double aciton clyinder. a few fittings and a air mainfold. if you have the Air feed. I have been using weights, a pully and leverage to make a foot operation for my sizer . Push with my foot to pull handle down, then the weight on a pully brings the lever back to the up posistion.

Only problem is the height of foot pedal is so high it is unconfortable for me. Will keep working on the problem. I think i can replace the return weight and pully with a door closer thing a bob. need to work on the project over nest week or so . will try to post a picture or pictures of what i have so far. Think i spent maybe $10 on parts. rest is scrap laying around.

I am trying to find out the exact model for the Air Clyinder, Looks like a 10 or 12 incl stroke with a Double action clyinder.

http://www.clippard.com/downloads/ge...pplication.pdf
    Last edited by tackstrp; 04-26-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Boolit Master

Got the .431 Chris. Great job as always!!!!!
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Thanks Chris, glad to hear your dies have arrived!

L Ross
    Lathesmith, I ordered dies from you and I feel they are superior to any others I have. I'm going to sell off my Star and Stiwell dies, inventory what I really need and order all new ones from you. I commend your excellent workmanship, thank you.

Duke

Boolit Master
    Duke, thanks for your confidence and kind words, I appreciate it. I wouldn't be able to do what I do if it weren't for all the great guys that hang out here on this site that help make this the best place in the whole internet. The collective wisdom and experience here is really amazing, it's really great to be able to learn from some of the best!

lathesmith

thanks for the email that my custom threaded rod/handle is on the way. Will finalize my plans after it arrives.

parts on order to do the project. should be here few days. Looking forward to getting all my stuff set up in tool shed. got kicked out of the garage.

Lathesmith,
    Got the dies I ordered and started sizing last weekend. The .357 is perfect! Can I trade my .356 for a .358?

Last thing.. What can I do about the big honkin' blister I've got now!!!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmon-boy View Post
    ..................... Last thing.. What can I do about the big honkin' blister I've got now!!!
    Have you tried the roller handles from Magma? They make a world of difference.....

Boolit Master
    Thanks Chuck, I also make a roller L-handle for the Star, one of these may help with the blisters; they run $26 shipped. PM me about your die, we'll see what we can work out.

lathesmith

Boolit Man
    Lathsmith,

It seems there are a TON of very satisfied customers of yours. What makes you dies so special? I just ordered a star and so I know little to nothing about them. I am curious about your bullet punches, and your die extractor tool as well as your dies. Thank you.
    Respectfully,

Powell

Boolit Master
    Hi Powell,
    I guess you just stated what makes my dies so special--"a TON of very satisfied customers." I try and make sure that you get what you are looking for, and don't mind working with you to help you get your dies and punches set up the way you want. When it comes to dies and things for your Star, I'm not happy until you are, it's as simple as that. I think shooters are some of the best people in the world, and I want to do what I can to help ensure future generations can also enjoy our shooting sports. I know I can't do much by myself, but I do what I can, and I very much enjoy being a part of this great website.

And, of course, if you need some stuff for your Star, let me know, I'd be happy to make your dies, punches, and whatever else you need that I can make!

Sincerely,
    lathesmith

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast