RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Star dies that I make

Boolit Master

Nope, the "Buckshot" design means the die is stopped from being pushed through the sizer by a snap ring, instead of a solid flange. All the dies I have gotten from Chris have been the "Buckshot" design and they work great.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    ah so there a little cheaper to manufacture , but work just as well. sounds good.

Boolit Master

Exactly, if you made a traditional "flange" style you would have to start out with a larger diameter blank. BUt with a snap ring you can use a small diameter blank and you have less to machine off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I bought the flanged style from him and they are great! I considered the Buckshot design when ordering.

Are the Buckshot style easier to remove? (Can you remove the snap ring and then push it straight through?)

Boolit Master

I reckon you "could" remove the ring and push on through, but I have had zero issue swapping mine out in my star. I can change to a different size with in a minute or two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I reckon a little clarification is in order here guys. Your comments are generally pretty close to the mark...but I would like to add a few things. I have had a few field reports of guys popping the C-clip off of these dies, when they have to apply a lot of force to size a slug, as in a large and/or very hard slug. For this reason, I don't like to recommend these to beginning Star users, or for slugs much larger than, say, .401 diameter.
    However, I don't like to tell more experienced users what they can and can't do with their machines; I like for each man (or woman) to determine that for themselves. But if you need to ask, then you are probably better off sticking with the flanged style 'till you feel confident that you know more about what you can and cannot do with the Star.

I always say, it's great to have choices, and that's why I still offer the two styles of dies.

lathesmith

Boolit Mold
    Chris

Well I went to the mailbox today expecting bills as usual but there was a nice surprise there today. Die looks very nice now just waiting on the Star to arrive. Will probably be getting more after I play around with the first die.

Thanks again

Creekrider

Boolit Mold
    I do not believe my luck. The postal truck came back a half hour later and had a box I had to sign for and on the outside it said Magma Engineering. Hmm, what could that be? I know what I am doing this weekend.
    Last edited by Creekrider; 09-11-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I just used my first new Lathesmith die last night. Got the flanged design. Worked very well. Had no die problems at all. Very nice. Great work. I'm happy. I'll buy more. enjoy Mike

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the report Mike, sounds like you are now getting some "quality time" with your Star!

Creekrider, it must be your lucky day! Thank goodness it does happen occasionally...

lathesmith

Boolit Mold
    I ran about 500 rnds of 45 through the die and punch. Very happy and will be ordering some more soon.

Thanks lathesmith

Boolit Master

My .452" flange die arrived in the mail today, and my new Magma heater base was waiting for me on the back porch! I was gigglin' like a kid on Christmas morning! -- The die is really nice quality. I cranked out approx. 1 K boolits in a snap. Thanks for making these dies, and selling them for a really fair price. I WILL be returning with my business...more dies and a roller handle! Thanks!!!

Boolit Mold
    G'day lathesmith,

I've been a long time RCBS lube-sizer user but I'm about to get myself a Star. I reckon I could use 3 of your flanged dies (.356, .357, .358 @$34 ea), 3 punches for a .356 die @ $9 ea and 4 of the tapped locknuts @$7 ea. The prices on page 1 of this thread are a few years old now but include US shipping. I'm in Australia. What price to ship this order to me?

Cheers,

Boolit Master
    Hi Ion, welcome to the boards here. Yes, I can definitely fix you up with Star dies, although the prices have changed. I can't edit that first post, so that's why they are out of date. Anyway, I'll send you a PM(private message) about pricing and shipping details, and we'll get that squared away.
    Again, welcome to the forums here, it's a great place to hang out.

lathesmith

Byron Cromwell
    Lathesmith:
    I have a star tool with its original .358 die in place assembled at least seventy years ago. I purchased some original star dies over ten years ago and I want to swap them out. If I understand the discussion correctly, I am able to simply tap current die out from the underside through the top with a rubber mallet and a length of dowell rod to change calibers. Is that correct? this is an unmodified STAR lubrisizer with STAR manufactured dies.
    If Lathesmith is unavailable, I'll take instruction from any other STAR user, or PM me.

Thanks,

Byron

I would think so,
    here is a link to the Magma Star directions.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Boolit Master
    Hi Byron, yes, that is correct. Two things I might add that would be helpful: 1) On the older machines such as yours, be SURE the small setscrew on the side of the die chamber is loosened, otherwise you WILL damage your machine as you fruitlessly beat on the die trying to get it out! and 2) Applying a little heat, from a hairdryer or heat gun or whatever, will help make die removal somewhat easier.

lathesmith

Byron Cromwell
    Lathesmith:
    Thanks for the advice about the setscrew. I would not have thought to look for one. Now another question. I am going to lube .30 caliber RCBS 180 grain flatnose for .30-30. They use a gas check, too. Any advice on dealing with a boolit that long? will the sizer seat the gas check?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

It will do them. Put the boolit in nose first. Put a GC on the butt of it and pull the handle down to squish it through.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Byron, like Doby suggested, they usually work fine sizing them nose-first. There are several guys on-site here that use the Star for all kinds of gas-checked bullets; I don't really have much experience with them, but if handled properly the Star machine will handle them fine.

I can tell you that many guys prefer using a dished punch with checks, especially rifle ones. They feel it seats the check better, and gives more consistent results. I would be inclined to agree with this.

lathesmith

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast