Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Star dies that I make

Boolit Master

me too!

lathesmith...please check your messages....

Thank You...Dale

Boolit Master
    The oversize lube die design from Cajun Shooter and Lathesmith looks perfect for what I'm casting. The boolits I prefer...#429667 and the 200 and 250 grain 44 wadcutters from group buys have oversize lube grooves. The lube grooves on 429244 and 429215 are tiny in comparison. I appreciate the advice and emails.

Is there a difference in density(?) of the lube if it is applied cold as opposed to using the heater base? The lube is darker if heated. I had prefered not to use the heater when I was using GAR 50/50 (I miss those good people to buy from!) because it took awhile to bring up to heat or it got too messy...I like using the STAR (or my DILLON 550B) because you can accomplish a lot in a few minutes while waiting for the wife to do something/get ready to go out...but LARS' 50/50 doesn't seem to require as much time warming. Forgetting to turn off the heater can create a lovely mess underneath!

Thanks again guys

Boolit Man

star parts

hi lathesmith,

am sending a pm with my needs..

thanks,
    mick27
    mick jones

Boolit Mold
    Can you give me a phone # or address for ordering dies for a magma star lubrisizer? Thanks Joe

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

OOPS, Thought you wanted the Sizer. PM Lathesmith.

Sam
    Last edited by Muddy Creek Sam; 10-28-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master

If the holes are lines up properly then the 3 regular holes work fine. If not then it can be hit and miss. I can lube this bullet with one pass, so I doubt anything you have holds more lube. It is all about getting them lined up properly for good flow, otherwise it is just squeaking in there instead of flowing easily.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Lathesmith,

you have a PM

cheers,

R

Boolit Bub
    Ordered a Die, Set Screw Nut, and L Handle, still waiting on my Star to arrive as well.

Ought to have a good setup when it's all together.

Glenn

Boolit Mold
    lathesmith,
    you have a pm, please check your messages

Thank You,
    Paul4895

Boolit Buddy
    PM for order sent.

Thanks,

Vern

Boolit Master
    Thanks Vern, pm now replied to.

lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    Check is in the mail.

Boolit Mold

410 Sizer Die for Star lubrisizer

I need a .410 sizer for use w/gas checks in the Star Lubrisizer for the 41 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    Hello all,
    I wanted to post this thread to show and discuss the two types of Star dies that I have been making for the guys here. First, there is the Buckshot c-clip die, and I also make traditional flanged-style as well. I make these from O-1 tool steel. I can harden these for you, or you can harden them yourself. Be aware, if you buy one unhardened and later decide to harden it, you may have to slightly re-fit it to your press, as it will "grow" arould .0005 or so. Also, the bore size will grow around .0007. This usually isn't a big deal but you do need to be aware of it.

I am going to start offering what I call the "standard" die configuration. This is a hardened die, with 3 rows of holes for 3 lube grooves (and less), spaced approx. .125 apart. The first row is about .750 from the top of the die. This configuration will cover maybe 80 or 90 per cent of bullets out there. I can still do custom spacing, on request.
    Pricing for these "standard" dies is $26 for the Buckshot design, and $34 for the flanged style. This includes shipping. I will still make available a non-hardened version; subtract $4 from either die price if you want this. I can take Paypal or money orders, your choice.
    I would like to take this opportunity to say a big "thank you" to all the guys on the boards here that have supported me and helped get this project going. Also, together we have made a nice financial contribution to the boards here, and I will continue doing this periodically in the future. There are many satisfied users of these dies to date.
    Thanks again,
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Hi Tom, that's no problem, I can fix you up. Just send me a PM (private message) with what you would like, and we'll get the details worked out.

Thanks,
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Chris! Got the 8mm dies and as usual they are a work of art! Thanks again and much appreciated!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Bob, I thought those did turn out rather well! I forgot to mention,I tossed in an extra punch, so you could play around with them and see which one you liked the best. Thanks again, and enjoy!

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    why not make a top punch that had a punch length with a shoulder. the punch length would put the lube groove of the boolit at the holes in the sizing die ?

threaded section with an under cut as it closes in on the step, .5 long .7 od step, punch just under boolit dia and just long enough that when the step stops on the top of the sizer, the boolit lube groove is at the holes in the sizer ??

screw it up against the ram body, when the .5x.7od hits the sizer, the linkage is aligned to actuate the lube pump....

a unique punch per boolit design instead of adjusting a universal punch.

yes no maybe ???/

i'm gonna build one unless someone can say why not......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    I sent you a PM & email, Lathesmith. I got a Star sizer on order, and need dies.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Boolit Mold
    I have been sizing 308 cast bullets to .299 for my 7.35 carcano for some time now. Lube and size to 308 and then push through tube that I taperd with taper drill.

Boolit Master
    Mike, as long as you have the lathe there handy, you should be able make the punch as suggested, that will work with one or maybe more slugs with a similar base thickness.

Got it Seth, thanks, check your pms.

Grasshopper, as mentioned I can make any size you need, odd sizes are not a problem.

lathesmith

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast