RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingPBcastco
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Star dies that I make

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it's helpful not only for me but also for your fellow shooters. These dies are made by a caster for casters, and it's merely an interesting extension of my obscession...er, hobby.
    gds, just let me know when you are ready, I'll be happy to fix you up. Ted, while it is possible to make a slotted die, I don't think it would be very workable. For one, it would take extra machining time, which would make the die more expensive. Two, the smallest mill I have is 1/8", which I think would allow way too much lube to flow through it, and you wouldn't be able to shut it off. This would probably be quite messy, and not very satisfactory. I'll try to make anything you ask for, but on experimental projects like this you are kinda on your own. A better solution would simply be to have a series of 4 or 5 closely spaced rows of holes, you can lube all the grooves in the tumble lube bullets cleanly this way. I have actually tried this, and it does work fine.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    As an update here, I am now able to make the nuts for the top punches. These run $4 each when shipped with a die and/or punch order. I can make standard thickness, or "extra thick" for those of you who want to drill and tap these for a set screw. Just let me know how thick you want them.
    lathesmith

How about a nut drilled and tapped already so we don't have to mess with it?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    I forgot to update this. I now offer not only the plain nut, but also nuts that have been drilled and tapped for set screws.
    Thanks,
    lathesmith

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    As an update here, I am now able to make the nuts for the top punches. These run $4 each when shipped with a die and/or punch order. I can make standard thickness, or "extra thick" for those of you who want to drill and tap these for a set screw. Just let me know how thick you want them.
    lathesmith
    Lathesmith, How about the locknut with the turned ring for the auto feeder?

Boolit Master
    dd,
    I haven't seen one of these, so I don't know what size they are or what they look like. If you could give a location of some data on one of these, I'd be happy to take a look.
    lathesmith

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    dd,
    I haven't seen one of these, so I don't know what size they are or what they look like. If you could give a location of some data on one of these, I'd be happy to take a look.
    lathesmith
    I will take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it. My knee is killing me tonight and I cant get to the dungeon.

Boolit Mold
    How much for the drilled and tapped lock nuts?

Boolit Master
    Locknuts drilled and tapped with a set screw run $7.
    Thanks,
    lathesmith

Boolit Bub

molds

for lathesmith
    do you offer and boolit molds?
    Don
    e mail
    beekeeper4u2@wmconnect.com

Boolit Master
    F-b, no, mainly just stuff for Star sizers, and a few other odd lathe projects.
    lathesmith

Mine arrived late last week as scheduled. Worked like a champ last night. Thanks lathesmith.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

Lathesmith, funds in mail. Looking forward to these

Lathesmith,

Finally got round to using the .358", .411" and .452" dies You made for me back in late November. They are absolutely flawless. Craftsmanship and pride in ones work ISN'T a thing of the past! Thank You.

FN in MT

Boolit Mold
    I received my dies, punch and locknuts Thursday. I put them to use this weekend. I have this to say. They are top notch. I have never used a Star until this weekend. It took me 15 minutes to set up for 45. and 5 minutes for 9mm. With the locknuts my settings were saved so I can switch them out quickly. I was able to size and lube over 1500 boolits in about an hour. Now I have to cast more.

Hi All. I am new here. I decided to be a member of Castboolits becose i learned lot of things about casting etc. reading your posts. I read many posts about Star lubrisizer ( i did not know it. It is not for sale in Italy. We have RCBS Lyman and Saeco lubrisizers) so now i am Star lubrisizer enthusiast. Just bought a second hand one from U.S.A. (still waiting for it). Now i have a problem... i need sizers. Would like to ask to Mr. Lathesmith if he could contact me trought the forum because i want to order some of his sizer. As you all can see , i am not so good in english language....and not too many familiar with forum.... so be understanding please. Thank you. Regards.

Welcome aboard icm!

You have made a good choice with Mr. Lathesmith's sizer dies. Both the product and the man are top notch!

The Star is a great machine, but it does take a little getting used to.

For one thing, if you don't have a heater for it, you might want to get one.

I use a cheap clothes iron. I just plug it in and prop it against the sizer until the lube flows easily. Then I unplug the iron and set it aside.

Lots of little thing to learn with the Star, but it's well worth the effort!

Don't hesitate to post questions in here, but you might want to check the archives first, because chances are pretty good that if you have a question, someone else had the same question and has already asked it in here!

It's good to have you aboard!
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master
    icm,
    I would also like to say "hello" and welcome to the forums. I totally agree, this is a great place to learn and share our common knowledge about loading, shooting, and other related topics.
    I think the Star is a great lube/sizer, and that you will enjoy using it very much, once you learn how to use it. I will be happy to supply you with dies, punches, and locknuts for your machine, and shipping to Italy isn't a problem. So, send me a private message, and we can talk about what you would like for your machine.
    Good shooting,
    lathesmith

Lathesmith, I got a box with a bunch of hardware in it when I back from out of town. I couldnt wait to size some of them. I had some 357s and 30s sitting waiting on these. Do you know what size the Orings are in the Magma? I must have nicked my top ring and now its leaking bad.
    Thanks again for the dies!

Reply to Cayoot
    Thank you for suggestions. I was lucky, i found one Star with heating base and bullet feeder too, the guy that sold it to me insured me everything is 100% ok (hope it is true) I just saw few pics and it looks like new. I read about your solution to heat the lube and it is what i wanted to do to heat lube because i already have clotes iron, it is the cheapest way. I started to read the forum posts maybe 2 months ago. It is really great. Lots of interesting topics and discussions. And it is true I have lots of things to learn about Star lubrisizer because what i know is what i read.. never used one. just have to wait until i will get it at home and try it.

Reply to Lathesmith
    Will try to send you private message but as i told i am not too familiar with forum and did not yet find out how to send private message.... sorry...

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast