Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45LC Loads for a S&W 25-5 Expert help Needed

Boolit Master
    I've loaded 5.6 gr. of Red Dot with 454190 sized .454" COL 1.6" and shot them through my Colt's SAA 's at 858 fps with a 7 1/2" barrel. The recoil was very light, I'd be comfortable with 6.0 gr in a Colt's, certainly in a Smith. I've shot 7.0 gr. of Red Dot with 452374 sized at .452" in Colt .45 cases at 865 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I'm sizing to .452 and might try .454, that's the size of my bullets unsized. And, I've had good experiences with BLL in S&W revolvers. You make a very good point about cases, 'would slide free with the gates opened.' Sticky cases are a good indicator of excessive pressure...

You can tell by the way the LC knocks steel plates over, that it means business.
    I size to correspond to measured throat diameters. The Uberti came to me with .453" throats/.451" grooves. The Ruger's throats were .448"-.449" (!!!) and grooves were .452". I honed these throats to .453", and life was much less complicated and a lot more accurate. If I ever stumble across a 45 Colt with .451" grooves and .4515" throats (they ARE rumored to exist), I would start with .452" sizing. I'll bet it does fine. Do a "tale of the tape" on your revolver, and go from there.

Another accuracy quirk I intro'ed to my 45 Colts was to size my brass in a steel RCBS sizing die rather than their tungsten-carbide sizer. The T/C sizer reduced diameter to .469", and after expansion and bullet seating the cartridges looked like pinched-waist Coke bottles. Cases didn't last long, either. The steel die reduces diameter to about .476", case life is enhanced, and though groups didn't shrink significantly flyers/spoilers ceased immediately. I made this move with 44 Magnum as well, for the same reasons. FYI.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I also don't like how the T/C dies size the case too much, but you can just resize only the amount the bullet will occupy. They still chamber easy, at least mine do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I have loaded as high as 9.0 grains with Unique in the 45 Colt, using Lyman #454424, #454190, and #454490, all @ .454". In my BH x 7-1/2" these run about 940-950 FPS. In my now-departed Uberti Cattleman x 4-3/4", 850-875 was the clocking. In both revolvers the primers had plenty of radius left, and unless the chambers were REALLY dirty the cases would slide free with the gates opened and the muzzle pointed skyward. I would call this a "full value" load in a Colt or S&W platform, and I would not exceed it. Let's remember--the 45 Colt running at this intensity with a #454190-like bullet was spec'ed to pass through a cavalry mount and strike a "hostile" on the other side of that mount using same for cover. The 45 Colt at 1873 strength is no joke.
    I've also used Linebaugh loadings in my Blackhawk with Unique, H110 and 2400. Works fine with no indication of erratic velocity, primers flattened etc. although the recoil got pretty stout. I approached with caution and would not recommend them for other than Blackhawks, Redhawks etc..
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12