Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
ADvertise hereStainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shortened .223 for low noise purposes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    So what you want to do is reinvent the 22TCM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM
    yes and no. The case size is fine, except id rather have a true .223/5.56x45 parent case, that rim and all on the TCM isn't right in my eyes.

TCM is about pushing small bullets as inhumanly fast as possible. I want to push bullets slower, with a more efficient chamber capacity. think 45 cowboy case for reduced power loads instead of doing the double charge dance with a full size 45 colt case

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    gah.. no one wants to chop the .223 down... what a sad situation.

The shortening does make a new rifle needed, and dies and all. but the pellet mod always seems to NEED a person to use shotgun primers. The shorter case would let ya use any crappy regular rifle primer on hand.
    What do you think the .221 Remington is? You can build one if you want, but loading Red Dot or Bullseye (with NO filler in either case) will do what you want.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1861771
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 10-12-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    anyone get any luck with regular rifle primers?

IS there a case resize needed here?
    I've used regular primers and .22 pellets in an AR. Pretty good to clear a backyard of tree rats.Single shot of course, and it didn't occur to me to use a chrony, but they did the job.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    yes and no. The case size is fine, except id rather have a true .223/5.56x45 parent case, that rim and all on the TCM isn't right in my eyes.

TCM is about pushing small bullets as inhumanly fast as possible. I want to push bullets slower, with a more efficient chamber capacity. think 45 cowboy case for reduced power loads instead of doing the double charge dance with a full size 45 colt case
    So the 5,56x45 NATO which is the parent case for the 22TCM is not original enough???
    The rim is from the NATO case and unaltered, what about that dont you like?
    If you can download the 223/5.56 then it just might be possible to download the 22TCM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	330px-22tcm_prm.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	205723
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600px-5.56x45mm_NATO.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	205724

Here is my take on it.

If I want lower noise, slower loads, I can simply adjust my load. Red Dot powder, standard bullets, cast or jacketed. And with some load development and some range time I can find a load that works.

No change to the rifle is needed. Worst case scenario I may adjust POA or scope. But that is an easy change to undo, to go back to where I was. So I now have a rifle that will do both, full bore loads, and low noise, low cost closer range varmint loads.

To do it the other way requires a change in the barrel. I suspect the barrel would have to be removed, take some off of it, rethread it, get a chamber reamer for the new size cartridge, reassemble, set head space.

Then you have to trim the brass, and when your done you will still most likely end up shooting small amounts of fast powder to get that noise down.

And you end up with a rifle that shoots ONLY that. You can't go back.
    So you have the cost of all that rifle work that maybe you can do yourself. In my case I would have to pay to have it done. In your case maybe that is the reason you chose that approach. You want to do the work. In which case it is your time and your dime and go right ahead.

But you will end up with a rifle that won't shoot standard .223 ammo.

Your call, for me it does not make sense, for you perhaps it does.

YMMV.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    22 Reed Express is what you're contemplating.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying (leap) at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."- The Dark Tower, Steven King

Boolit Master

Sometimes people just have the itch to make a wildcat, even though it has probably already been done or can be done with a different cartridge and/or loading. .22 TCM or a .22 Hornet already do what you are asking for with factory brass, dies, etc., or even just a .25 ACP rifle that a few have made on here. You want to get a little wild, go for a .22 Flea or something.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    wasn't this the place that advocated purchasing a new gun just because you found a set of dies for a new caliber at a flea market?

The 22 TCM in PHOTOS has been nothing like a .223 Remington/5.56x45mm case at all in the groove section. On some comparison photos it looks like they could have necked down a 9mm case.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    wasn't this the place that advocated purchasing a new gun just because you found a set of dies for a new caliber at a flea market?

The 22 TCM in PHOTOS has been nothing like a .223 Remington/5.56x45mm case at all in the groove section. On some comparison photos it looks like they could have necked down a 9mm case.
    22 TCM most certainly IS a shortened .223 case. It was either Tuason or the other guy that had his hand in the reject .223 cases bin lamenting scrapping the brass that put him on the road to the 22 TCM,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying (leap) at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."- The Dark Tower, Steven King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12