Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What was the first press, that you owned, that you reloaded on????

Boolit Master
    First used - MEC 650 for shotgun ( 12ga) around '77
    First owned - RCBS RS3 for handgun/rifle around '87
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstreed View Post
    A Lee Loader in .30-30. It was bought by my Dad for my younger brother and me when we were around 12 and 13 years old, around 1965 or so.

Then about 1969 I walked out of a gun store with a new Remington 700ADL in .270, a Leupold 4X scope, a couple boxes of ammo, a new RCBS Jr. press, a Redding powder scale, RCBS dies in .270, a few extras like lube pads and a shell holder, a pound of DuPont IMR 4831, some primers, a box of bullets (disremember the brand), and a lighter wallet. My older brother was with me, he might have had to sign for the 700ADL, I don't remember, since I was only about 17 then. He walked out with a Remington 700BDL in 7MM Rem. Magnum, a Redfield 3-9X scope, RCBS dies for 7MM Magnum, a pound of powder and some bullets in case I got bored with loading for that "whimpy little .270".

I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning but I can remember that day in '69, summer's worth of hay-hauling wages burning a hole in my pocket and all those articles in gun magazines tumbling around in my head.

Truly the best of the days.

Boolit Master
    My first press was an RCBS Junior. It served me well until a Rock Chucker became available from an estate. Following that, another Junior found me. Our older son-in-law is expressing interest in learning how to handload, and cast boolits, to feed his interest in affordable ammo. He will wind up with one of the Juniors and a bot of other gear that is surplus to my needs.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Lyman Spartan, Lyman "All American" 06 dies, Redding powder scale & measure. All bought in about 1965. I have used all of the above in the last week. Although the Spartan is not my everyday press it still gets used to deprime rifle cases and process pistol cases and occasional small batch reloading.

Boolit Mold
    I started out with a Lee Loader (Whacker?) in 44mag/spl. Years later I mentioned hand loading 30-30 to my brother, and he gave me a box 'o' stuff.
    It was two Lyman Spartan presses, hand made case gauges for 30-30 and 300 savage and a pound of 3031 powder.
    Great Times! I soon got a Lee Classic Turret press and bunches of accessories to take advantage of capping and charging etc.
    Then a Hornady Progressive which is set up for .357
    Still I bought Lee Loaders in many calibers, Lee Hand press, Turrets, Dies, and more dies, bullets, powders, primers, bullet molds, furnace, more molds...

A Forster CoAx for 300 Win Mag and I hated it. Press ergonomics were not for me. Not saying it wasn't a good product but I learned a lot about blood blisters when seating bullets.

Switched to an Ultramag and have been smiling ever since.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

My 1st. was a Lyman Comet. I liked the large opening, but the shell holders were a problem. Finances were tight then ('60 or '61) & I always wanted to have the ram converted to "RCBS type S/H" but never did.

I loaded rifle, pistol & shot shells (yes, shot shells) on that press. I have the 20 gauge die set now.

Henry

First loaded on a 3 station H press - CH I think - it's been awhile - First one I bought was an RCBS "kit" Jr press which when I moved to Arizona I gave to my hunting buddy back in Oregon.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Man
    Herter's Model 3 - with shell holder adapter.
    Still use for different tasks.

Boolit Master
    converted orange juice squeezer and home made dies to load 30-06. Then lyman 310 tool for 38spl
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Lyman #310 tool, then a TruLine Junior press when I got serious 50+ years ago. They did not have Dillon 650's back then.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    RCBS Rockchucker II. Started with it in 1985, it's still my primary press today.

Motor

Boolit Master

CH "C" press and a CH "Magnum" H press, both bought in 1960.

Boolit Master
    Lyman Orange crusher.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Bub
    I started with a Lyman turret and now have a Bonanza Coax.

Boolit Bub
    Christmas present 1966...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Loader.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	210320

Christmas present a couple years later:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...62&FORM=VRDGAR

I still have the "Lyman Easy" I still use it occasionally. It has loaded hundreds and hundreds of shells. Its the press I used when I was a young guy, and shot in a trap league.. Imagine how busy that kept me.. the LYMAN First Complete Edition Handbook. Funny when many consider the latest edition the "Bible" when it comes to shotshell loads.. Some of the old loads, Primers, powder.wad combinations are fun to look through..

Name:	horizontal.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	210321

Front cover

Name:	Horizontal Front cover.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	210323

Rear Cover

Name:	horizontal rear cover.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	210324

Full instruction section for Lyman "Easy Press

Name:	horizontal instruc.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	210325
    Last edited by Moosegooser; 12-26-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    lee hand loader then worked my way up to a lee pro. now I use a dillon 650. still use my lee to test loads

The first one is still the one I use. When I got the press I read everything I could about reloading in the library; at that time, they even had a copy of Sharps Complete Guide To Handloading. Online continues to be an unending source of information. Thirty years ago I got a Pacific C press, older than me (73), complete with the primer attch and tubes for large and small primers, a Lyman 55 powder measure and a Lyman 45th edition Reloading Handbook. It came with 2 dedicated rams one for 30-06 and one for 38spl. Later, I bought a RCBS ram so I could use shell holders for other calibers. I prime right on the press and never had a crushed primer, or primer failure to go bang. I've never had a short / empty round, double charge, or upside down primer. When the powder goes in, the case doesn't leave my hand until the bullet is seated. I also have an old Herter's press that will accept the standard dies, but I don't have room in my reloading closet for 2 presses.

From this site, I got a primer catcher from another member that 3D prints them; no more spent primers on the floor. I don't shoot thousands of rounds a year so my single stage works great.

Reloading for me is relaxing and fun. Used to come home from work and could chew nails; then go to my closet, turn on the radio and work on case prep, priming or reloading 50 to 100 rounds and I became a mellow fellow. Now retired, just mellow.....

Boolit Bub
    Summers in N.E. PA, Winters in Central Florida
    My first press was bought way back in 1958, it was a Herters "C" press, single stage, a real cast iron boat anchor! It was stolen, along with all my guns, when I was called up to serve in the Army, and was stationed in Germany--
    When I got home, I bought two discontinued Lyman turret presses, which I still have and use, then got into Lee Pro 1000 progressives. Since then I have bought 4 Lee Reloaders, one Lee "O" single stage, a Lee turret 4 hole, and an old Herters turret, which will anchor a BIGGER boat than my original Herters single stage!

Started reloading with my Dad back in the early to mid 1970's on his then new Rock chucker.
    Today, I still use his RC and I've added 2 more RC's and a piggyback system on one of them.

Tried a lee and a lyman several years ago but always come back to the RC.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast