RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loose bbl. band

Loose bbl. band

After almost 3000 shots, my 1377 has developed a fair amount of play on the bbl. band. Most of the play is from the front sight being in the upright position, to being tilted slightly left if you wiggle it by hand.
    The band was very tight when brand new and the gun was bought only a few months ago.

I shot a few more groups after noticing the loose band and all of a sudden, my groups were all over the place. It would shoot a few cutting at 20 yds., then throw a couple an inch to the right, then a few to the left, then back to the center.

Lol, i thought it was due to the loose band, so i tilted it to the left and it shot about an inch to the right, then back to center as the front sight straightened right back up after the first shot.

I put a shim between the bbl. and the pump tube and took the play out of the band and made sure the front sight was straight up.
    It shot right back to center for 3 shots, then started shooting all over the place again....the band was still tight.

After about 30 minutes of trying different shim thickness, i was ready to give up.
    I tried one more thing before pulling my hair out...i pulled 3 clean patches through the bore and it got better.
    Still wasn't shooting like it should, so i took the shim out and just let the band be loose....right back to driving nails with it. I guess the shim was putting too much pressure on the bbl.?

Evidently my accuracy problem was just a bit of lead in the bore, even though i didn't notice any on the patches i pulled through it and had nothing to do(so far) with the bbl band.

Is the band working loose like this something that gets worse with time on the 13xx guns?
    If so it's a matter of time before the sight leans side to side from shot to shot (since it's on top of the band) and does cause accuracy problems.

Will replacing the roll pins with solid pins stop this? Or maybe a metal band?
    The bbl. itself doesn't seem to rotate at all...just the band.
    At least at this point, the band doesn't seem to move around unless you actually move it with your hand.
    I'm surprised because it moves easily if you touch it.

I even thought about cutting the band off and just free float the bbl., then just epoxy the front sight centered on top of the bll.
    I'm not sure if the bbl. fits far enough into the plastic breech and is held tight enough by the breech to free float it though.
    I suppose a metal breech might?

Since it's back to shooting right again i wouldn't be worried about the loose band, except for the fact that i can turn it by hand enough to make it shoot an inch to the right at 20 yds.
    Don't want to gut shoot some poor squirrel because i bumped it against a limb or something in the woods before taking a shot and have it get away in a hole somewhere before i can pump and shoot again.

Guess i could epoxy the whole band to the bbl?
    Any suggestions to head this off before it gets worse? My bbl. sure didn't seem to like the shim option!

Boolit Master

Or silver solder? That will hold and put up with cleanings etc.

I agree with letting your barrel tell you when it is time to clean.

Couple of patch's of ATF is all I use. Then a couple of dry ones, and back to stacking pellets.

I don't know what is going on with your barrel band. My pair of 1322's are at least 3 years old, and have not been doing anything like what you describe.

Boolit Master
    +1 on cleaning the bores of pellet guns.
    Whatever dry lube some pellets use appears to clog the rifling after much firing.

I use a plastic bristle brush and swab soaked with lighter fluid. The swab always comes out black after the first few passes. I soak the swab and press it with paper towels to clean out as much residue as possible before each pass. A few dry patches finishes up.

I've also found what may be residue from the rubber pump cup mixed with oil in the bore during the breakin period. Avoid over lubing. The rubber residue thins out after regular use.

The front sight of the 1377 is part of the pump cylinder end plug held by a cross pin. It shouldn't be able to move if the pin fits tightly.

If loose enough to shift something is not right.

Yes, I think the pin holes were drilled a bit oversize, or the pins are a bit under sized. Either way some play has developed.
    I had thought of maybe replacing the roll pins with solid pins.
    Thankfully it doesn't seem to move on it's own while shooting.....at least not yet.

I just had a thought... Maybe take the bbl plug out and put a couple of wraps of masking tape around it and tighten it up that way.

Boolit Master
    Some prefer to replace the roll pin with a nut and bolt that can be tightened. That's how I'd go with it.

I had read about using a nut and bolt. While probably not much for looks, it should certainly do the job.
    That may well be what i wind up doing. A thin nylon washer on each side might help to protect the bluing on the pump tube.

Thanks for posting that.

Boolit Master
    Best to use a bolt with some of the shank unthreaded so it doesn't wear out the pump arm holes.
    A steel rod of the proper diameter threaded at each end and then case hardened might be best.

You might find something made for the purpose at online stores that deal in Crosman upgrade parts.

I tried one more time on shimming the bbl. band. I put in one extra piece than before and it's holding and shooting great.
    Guess i've got a bandaid on it for now till i do a more permanent fix.

GRRRRRR! I caught the shim shifting a bit that i put under the bbl. even though it was jammed tight in there. I guess from shooting vibrations, although that seems to be very light with these guns.

Anyway, drove out the pump arm and bbl. band hinge pin and put 3 wraps of electrical tape(all i had on hand) around the bbl. and put it all back together.
    The band has absolutely no play in it now and is as tight as a drum.

The strange thing was when i had the band out, i tried to "hand push" the pin back in it and it was a very tight fit. The pump tube holes were very tight too...i don't see where all that play was coming from.
    Oh well, it's jam tight now and i can't move it by hand at all. Shooting very tight groups and "should" be good to go.

Update on the loose bbl. band. My brother sent me one of a pair of steel pins with the screws in the end he ordered from AirWerks.
    Went in with a very tight flush fit and the screws tightened up right against the pump cylinder. Seems to be holding everything now and shot it several times this evening...so far so good.

Oh, and the last shims i had put in had worked loose too, so this hopefully is a permanent fix to the problem!

The last Mauser I owned had a loose band. I cut a sliver from an old inner tube and used that. Couldn’t see it and it stayed put.

Okay,
    Have put a couple hundred pellets through the 1377 since putting the steel pin with screws on to replace the original roll pins.
    Everything is holding tight and this little air gun is shooting very tight groups with crosman pyranahs 10.5 gr. pellets.

I think if i ever buy another 1377 or 1322, i'll just replace the original roll pins with these steel pins and screws right from the start...just in case.
    Anyway, if anyone else has this particular problem, this is at least one way to fix it.