WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Carrying percussion caps safely?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Carrying percussion caps safely?

I've been trying to get into BP rifle shooting, I was thinking of maybe putting extra caps in an Altoids Smalls metal can, maybe wrapped with a cotton cloth to pad them somewhat; Is that a decent answer or are there better ways? Buying a capper next time I order supplies, basically I have a few bits but will be getting the whole possibles bag set up. (Non static seems wise there so no nylon, probably leather. Harbor Freight welding apron as a leather source, or check Tandy leather ) I can deal with minor issues but would rather not have my caps all go off accidentally at once.

Boolit Master
    i keep mine in the original tin. BAM. and as for leather..... look for raw leather hide suppliers. I got a whole cow hide once for cheap. did a nice leather rifle sheath for my renegade, did a possibles bag, ball bag, and had leftover to boot.

If I make just one possibles bag & share it between rifle, pistol, and eventually shotgun, that could do. Had planned to decant some off (Partly because the Pacific NorthWET gets so darn moist, I doubt water is much good for caps...)

Boolit Buddy
    I keep them in their container and just put enough to use up in my capper as I need them. When I go hunting, I always take a fresh batch in my capper and even put it in a sandwich bag in really wet weather. You can keep a few handy for a quick re-load in one of those leather or rubber type cappers in a handy pocket when in the woods.

Boolit Master
    tomorrows experiment................. test caps for moisture damage. and for what it is worth............. all of my muzzle loader stuff is in 1 portable tool box. 50 and 54 included.(range use).

Boolit Master
    I carry mine in a Skoal can , stays dry/holds a bunch and smells great (used to chew)

Boolit Master
    In a TC capper. And not too many.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Don't over think it. Caps come in tins so they can safely be carried in the tins they come in or an alternate such as an Altoid tin which will be easier to open with cold hands. They can be carried in a straight line capper or one of the Ted Cash cappers. If you get one of Ted's cappers, spend the extra $$ and get the German Silver one - they don't tarnish and get crudded up with your dirty hands with fouling on them. Musket caps were carried in a leather cap pouch. That kept them dry and most tgood quality caps are "sealed" on the inside to prevent moisture from affecting them. When I hunted, I normally just put a few in the small inside leather "pocket" that I sewed on the inside of the back of the pouch that goes next to the body just so I could get at time easier. Normal handling of a percussion cap is not going to cause it to explode. I've handled thousands and thousands of them over the last 55 years with never an issue - whether they be carried in a pocket in hy hunting pouch, a tin or a military style cap pouch. If you want to put 'em in an Altoid tin in between a layer of cotton, that would work just fine as it would keep 'em from rattling around and making noise while you are walking on your hunt. I also have just put some in the "cap box" in the butt stock of my rifle if it had one and they were easy to get to when reloading - some used the cap box on a rifle for holding patches and some for holding caps - whatever works best for you. Good luck and enjoy!

Boolit Master
    I use a straight line capper. Holds about a dozen caps and much faster than opening a can to get one out.

Straight line or Cash capper is the way to go. If you want to carry a bunch of 'em, carry them in the original small tin with a cotton ball,or something on top to keep them from rattling. They won't detonate with normal handling, so don't worry about that.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle: leave the tin of caps in the truck & carry enough caps in a straight line capper for however many shots I'm likely to take during a given hunt ( a half-dozen extra caps work for me - YMMV).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Try the small round brass cap tin from Track of the Wolf, I use that and stuff a little cloth in it to stop 'em from rattling. Easy to access and secure. Enjoy!

Boolit Mold
    I keep a few in the tin they come in and a full straight line capper in my shot pouch. Always turns out to be more than I need.

That Ted Cash capper looks very nice. I plan on doing mostly paper targets to start with so that Cash capper will probably be what I snag for starters; One capper full = about a pound of BP used up, for a .50 BP rifle. That's a fair bit of shooting. Also that in "German Silver" looks a lot more period than Altoids cans ever will LOL!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    That Ted Cash capper looks very nice. I plan on doing mostly paper targets to start with so that Cash capper will probably be what I snag for starters; One capper full = about a pound of BP used up, for a .50 BP rifle. That's a fair bit of shooting. Also that in "German Silver" looks a lot more period than Altoids cans ever will LOL!
    Those Altoid cans have been around since 1780, so they work fine!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

They are not Blasting caps. Keep them in the container they came in.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep spares in the tin, my capper is a round chunk of leather belt punched and slitted to hold 5 caps. In a match I never need to worry how many did I shoot and hunting the first shot is usually the only one you get so 4 spares is more than plenty. The leather came from a yard sale belt 50 cents. I can load and fire in 22 seconds with this outfit.

I'm expecting to do more paper target stalking and less woods-stalking, since I have knee issues; Why I like the TC capper. Hoping to get knees better tho