Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving up to 45-70 since 356 Win is a failure with cast?

Boolit Master
    Back on topic. I just started loading cast for my 45-70. I chose the Lee 340gr and am very happy with it. The load is not mild but still kicks less than a 300gr HP at 2100 fps. (Marlin 1895 Guide Gun)

I'm sorry but I simply don't see a smooth transition for your wife here. She's going to have to withstand a lot more recoil and deal with a lot more trajectory.

I say buy her a box of bullets and let her continue on.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edctexas View Post
    That main gun doesn't leave much of the deer to eat! I have chased deer on a range with the 0.50 spotting rifle. Pretty hard to hit one unless it stays still long enough. The booms did not really scare them like I thought they would.
    PS we did not kill any deer. Against army rules and range rules. We did get in trouble for scaring them.

Ed C
    That spotting round would have over-penetrated anyway. I'd suggest you didn't scare the deer, but rather edumacated them a little. That would have been my line of defense anyway.

On a lighter note, I had occasion to witness a pot bellied pig join up with a 17# 2.75" FFAR one day not far from Chu Lai. Weren't much left for the mess kit and that's a fact.

The 1895 Marlin CB was a fine gun when introduced, what with the Ballard rifling and such. It would spit out 510 gr paper patched lead easy at 1600 fps and with minor courage wander up close to 1800 fps. I did not find the recoil objectionable, but a lady probably would. The accuracy was a stunning suprise; sub MOA at 100 yards most days of the week and usually twice on Sunday.

Put me in the "buy another box of bullets" camp.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Bub
    I have a real nice little compound bow that i'd be happy to swap for any of those rifles all tuned up and ready to go and it only has a 90 pound draw weight! She could get off'n the porch and actually go huntin'! and you may even make it to the end of the driveway before she gets it pulled back!
    Then again if she aint scared of a 45-70 with a 500 gr. boolit goin 1500-1700 fps you make not make the end of the hallway, then if she finds out where her favorite rifle went my days may be numbered too! Buy the Lady a box of bullets! It aint your rifle anyway, Tightwad!

Boolit Master

so does anyone really think the 356 Win is a failure?
    one guy with one bullet in one particular rifle ain't much of a sample.

Boolit Master
    Well if demand is any measure it's a failure compared to the .30-30. Application is another story I suspect.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Being as it only shares brass with with a couple of obscure European work around the laws/drilling cartridges and unlike the deceased 25,30,32 Rem you can't just make it out of a cousin or extrude it down or swage it up , yeah it is kind of a flop .
    As a 35 Remington magnumized it's pretty impressive and I'd say a great success .

A rimmed 308 case even with a whole family of cases is either insanity or genius , it should have been genius in countries where the law says no military cartridges like Italy .
    Insane here where the 308 is so available and found on the shelf in nearly every caliber from 22-45 .

The twist may be the caliber killer for the OP . My 14 twist is very happy around 2100 fps with a 35-250 .
    Many 35 rifles are 12s and you may have to step up to an even heavier bullet to compensate for the lower MV .......the 200,225 and 250s don't have any trouble making holes in stuff . Mine will punch an inch of plywood and a 1/4" of cold rolled steel at 100 yd so I suspect even one of the fabled armored eastern whitetail would be greiviously injured by any hit between the base of the skull and the 8-9 rib .

It's a soft cast bullet it doesn't have to be going mach 2 to open up, 1.5 is plenty .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Moderator Emeritus

Pretty sure you can make them out of 444 marlin brass though you may need to turn the rim. Before I sold mine I had 350 rds of brass, several fired 10 times with no primer stretching. It is a lever so you are more susceptible to brass loss while hunting but that is that. Many guns will chamber and eject 358 brass though it is rimless.
    I had accuracy with 180-250 gr bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

It is very easy to make 356 win from Marlin 444 with a Redding Form and Trim die. Requires no trimming of the rim.
    .358 Win, 7mm Express, Marlin 336ER 356win

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    so does anyone really think the 356 Win is a failure?
    one guy with one bullet in one particular rifle ain't much of a sample.
    No, it's not a failure. It's another great cartridge that's looked over. It's perfect for lever guns. Who doesn't want a 358 Winchester that can be fed from a tube? But even the 358 is over looked by most. There are so many cartridge options it's ridiculous.

I have a converted Marlin that will feed converted 308 LC brass. But I use 356 brass for hunting. If I didn't have it I wouldn't hesitate to use the converted brass. I've also formed if from short 444 brass. Didn't have to do anything to the rim.

There is a long list of great cartridges that are either gone or getting there. A lot of this is driven by people's short attention spans. It's also from people not reloading. So when they can't buy ammo they move onto something they can buy ammo for.

I have a good 300 gr. gc load. Pm me if you want it. I moved up to 370 gr. hollow points.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123