Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: WTS: Linotype-typeset and mixed

Boolit Bub

WTS: Linotype-typeset and mixed

I want to sell the following packages of linotype. The usual procedures will be followed--sales and shipping to wherever a USPO flat rate package will go to. Post "I'll take XX" and confirm with a PM to exchange payment and shipping info. I will accept Paypal F/F, USPO M/O or cash at your risk. I will combine packages for the most economical shipping.

A word about spacers: Many 'experts' on this site proclaim that 'spacers' are low in tin content or are completely devoid of tin. I have taken the time, effort and expense to prove or disprove this theory regarding the 'spacers' that I sell. The results from two different XRF testers and two different guns on two different batches reveal a tin content of 3.1%--3.5%.

That said, here's what I have to offer--

1. 8.5 lbs. lino typeset $17 + $7.00 shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED.

2. 15 lbs. lino typeset and spacers $30.00 + $7.00 shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED.

3. 10.5 lbs. lino typeset and spacers $21.00 + $7.00 shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED.

4. 5 lbs. lino typeset $10.00 + $7.00 shipping. SOLD SHIPPED.

5. 22 lbs. spacers $44.00 + $7.00 shipping. STILL AVAILABLE-SEE COMMENTARY ABOVE AND IN POSTS BELOW.

6. 40 lbs. lino typeset and spacers $80.00 + $14.00 shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED .

7. 25 lb. lino pig $50.00 + shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED.

8. 25 lb. lino pig $50.00 + shipping. SOLD-SHIPPED.

9. 20 lb. lino pig $40.00 + shipping.

10. 20 lb. lino pig $40.00 + shipping.

Note on shipping pigs: If you want it in one piece, shipping is about $50-$60.00 each. Otherwise, I can cut them into two pieces and ship up to two pigs for $14.00 or--three pieces for $7.00 (may be able to get two pigs into that package-???). Local pickup is always an option.

PM any questions on any item--don't forget--I'll combine smaller packages to save shipping cost!!

Steve
    Last edited by durango; 11-08-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: sales

While spacers can often be softer lead, as noted by seller testing is only way to know. I had some spacers I scrounged up that when checked with XRF gun were richer in both tin and antimony than linotype.

Oh yeah. Bump.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    While spacers can often be softer lead, as noted by seller testing is only way to know. I had some spacers I scrounged up that when checked with XRF gun were richer in both tin and antimony than linotype.

Oh yeah. Bump.
    Thanks for the positive comment and the bump.

Boolit Bub

Sunday bump to the top-Thanks for looking

Boolit Bub

Bump to the top for the weekend

Boolit Bub

Up to the top for another weekend. Buy yourself an early Christmas present!!

Boolit Bub

Number 3 is sold pending funds.

Boolit Bub

WOW!! No buyers--is everyone hunting or saving for Christmas? This stuff usually sells pretty fast--is there a problem with my listing? Thanks for looking, Steve

Boolit Bub
    Just a bump with a comment.

IMHO this is a good price for a very useful alloy. I'd be interested if I hadn't recently purchased a 60lb box of it and cast it into ingots.

Linotype is an excellent casting alloy in itself for rifle bullets intended for high velocities and ditto for magnum pistol loads. It is also very useful as a "sweetener" to improve the hardness and casting qualities of softer lead alloys. In a fairly recent edition of "The Fouling Shot" ( written publication of the "Cast Bullet Association") a writer shared his experience of mixing 9 parts wheel weight/range lead and 1 part linotype. It improved the Brinell hardness and casting quality and worked well for him.

A benefit of the small pieces is that they are easy to cast into ingots (not so with the large "pigs") and are easily weighed for directly adding to casting alloys. Elsewhere in this Forum are tables that show the formulas to mix lino with other alloys and come up with the desired Brinell hardness.

Just my 2 cents.

Fort Reno Kid

I'll take 6 & 2. Pm on the way.
    To much work, not enough time for guns.

I'll take 1&4 also if they will go at the same shipping.
    To much work, not enough time for guns.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by fortrenokid View Post
    Just a bump with a comment.

IMHO this is a good price for a very useful alloy. I'd be interested if I hadn't recently purchased a 60lb box of it and cast it into ingots.

Linotype is an excellent casting alloy in itself for rifle bullets intended for high velocities and ditto for magnum pistol loads. It is also very useful as a "sweetener" to improve the hardness and casting qualities of softer lead alloys. In a fairly recent edition of "The Fouling Shot" ( written publication of the "Cast Bullet Association") a writer shared his experience of mixing 9 parts wheel weight/range lead and 1 part linotype. It improved the Brinell hardness and casting quality and worked well for him.

A benefit of the small pieces is that they are easy to cast into ingots (not so with the large "pigs") and are easily weighed for directly adding to casting alloys. Elsewhere in this Forum are tables that show the formulas to mix lino with other alloys and come up with the desired Brinell hardness.

Just my 2 cents.

Fort Reno Kid
    Thanks for the free bump and your comments.
    Your comment about the difficulty in handling the pigs is well taken--I use a carbide miter saw (chop saw) to reduce the pigs into manageable sizes for melting and pouring into ingots. I've also used a rope and pulley system to lower the pig into my pot--a little more cumbersome, but it works and the pigs are fairly easy to store.
    Steve

Banned
    The pigs will be a cleaner/more consistent alloy than the loose letters.
    Cut into 3 pieces they are very easy to handle and smelt.
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-08-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    What is the physical shape/dimensions of those 40-lb pigs?

I really hope one could fit in a large flat rate box, filament-taped or something to a piece of 1/2-inch plywood cut to fit the bottom of the box... Yes, I have received an alloy shipment that way.

Boolit Grand Master

@durango

I sent a reply PM, but have not got a response. I need to know your paypal email to send funds.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    What is the physical shape/dimensions of those 40-lb pigs?

I really hope one could fit in a large flat rate box, filament-taped or something to a piece of 1/2-inch plywood cut to fit the bottom of the box... Yes, I have received an alloy shipment that way.
    GRUMP--The pigs are 20 & 25 lbs. and are 25 1/4" long. The LFRB is 17 1/4" diagonal corner to corner. Trust me--I've tried all the FRBs and the best that you can do is with the 'shirtbox' MFRB. I can cut the pigs in half and get two into the 'shirtbox'--I can physically get three into the box, but then you're overweight. Cut them in thirds and I can get one into a padded FR envelope-$7.15. I do my best to keep my weight under 50lbs.--FRBs are a tremendous bargain and I don't like to abuse the system or my postal employees-seems that most are girls and older women these days.
    Thanks for your comment, Steve

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    @durango

I sent a reply PM, but have not got a response. I need to know your paypal email to send funds.
    I sent another (#3) PM. If you don't get this one, send me your phone number by PM and I'll call you. Steve

Boolit Grand Master

It says your inbox is full.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It says your inbox is full.
    So it did. Just cleared some space. My bad-sorry

Boolit Bub

Back to the top for Veteran's Day weekend. To all my fellow veterans--THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!