Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem 700 Ejector

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    i haven't shot it a bunch, but the few (10ish) factory rounds have gone off fine.
    I agree with those that say to get the gun checked out, but I think the problem is in the reloads, specifically the shoulder being set too far back, as M-Techs has already explained.

Just for peace of mind, you could have someone check headspace. If the rifle was rechambered, headspace could be long. If it is, your local gunsmith can fix it ricky tick.

Long headspace could case a failure to extract. In a push feed like a 700, the extractor must snap over the rim of the cartridge when the bolt is closed. If the chamber is too deep OR the shoulder is pushed too far back, the extractor can't snap over the rim. Light primer hits or no hits at all or the primer backing out is a sign of excessive headspace/shoulder problems. With higher pressures, case stretching and/or head separation would occur.

Excessive headspace is caused not only by cutting the chamber too deep, but also by having a shoulder set too far back on the cartridge, at least for cartridges that headspace on the shoulder.
    Last edited by John 242; 10-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12