Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Eddystone 1917

Boolit Mold

Eddystone 1917

Anyone shooting a Eddystone 1917?

I had one years ago in full military trim, stupid me sold it! Great shooting rifle.
    I inherited my fathers eddystone years ago. He bought it in the 50's it had already been sporterized.
    His was the first centerfire I ever shot, I was about 10yo. Still shoot it every chance I get.

I've shot a lot of different brands in 30-06, but I always come back to the eddystone, just seems to fit me better and seems more accurate than most.

I'm sure it dosent help that I've been shooting it on and off now for 40 years and know what it likes and where to point the darn thing!

Boolit Master

Yep,and mine has a brass plate with number on the heel of the stock.Looks like a unit designation,but not sure.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    I am sure it is true that Eddystones have more of the quality control problems sometimes found in US Enfields. Receivers can be of burnt steel, and weakened, or they can be excessively hard and develop cracks. If you are buying or rebarrelling one, it is worth wiping it over with gasoline and seeing if any weeps from a crack as it dries off.

But these are yes-or-no affairs. If you get a good one, it is just as good as Remington Ilion or Winchester manufacture.

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up in my teens shooting my fathers. I could hold 2" at 100 yards back then and wasn't as disciplined as I am now. I enjoyed lobbing them out at several hundred yards at buckets and what not on the power lines we would shoot at from time to time.

In Remembrance

Back when I had dark hair I looked for `sportered` 1917 and P-14 rifles to make a better looking sporter out of and usually rebarrel them to a different caliber like the .338-06.Robert

Boolit Master
    Rayolamp,

I have always preferred the M1917 to the M1903 and I own several of both. My best cast boolit in all is the Lee 185 RN 312 sized .309" and lubed with Alox. I have M1917s by Eddystone, Remington and Winchester. One Eddystone is my favorite as she hits point of aim at 100 yards with anything I shoot out of it with the Battle Sight. I will hunt PA bear, again, this year with that Eddystone.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    I just shot my sporter today. I'm working the bugs out since I bought it last year. I think I just about have it figured out. The groups are down to about 1.5", which is about all I can expect. It has the original milled receiver, barrel, bolt and trigger guard. The barrel has been shortened and turned down, and it has a nice walnut Monte Carlo stock. I put a Timney trigger in it, but still have the original. It was sporterized in the 50s(?) in California according to the sticker still on the stock. I think I will deer hunt with it this year for the 100 year anniversary of America entering WW1.
    Last edited by reivertom; 09-27-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I just found one. Or did it find me?

Been wanting one forever, and it just appeared... Usually I get things like slightly shop worn stray cats or a 3 legged goat with a bad attitude like that, not a rifle?!

Pictures shortly.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have an Eddystone in full military trim that I bought about twenty years ago for $200. It came from a collector's safe, complete with the single shot adapter that sits on top of the magazine follower and cleaning kit in the butt. It's about as nice an example as you could want, and do you think I've shot it yet?? Noooo.

Looks like I'd better get to work and see how it likes lead.

I don't own one, yet, but I did shoot one in a few CMP matches....the rifle shot well and I have gotten a fair amount of X's with it.....I think I need to add one one to my collection

Boolit Master
    I have 4 Model of 1917 and 1 Pattern 14 rifle. There are among my very favorite shooters. They are just really good rifles in my opinion.

Well made, smooth action. It's worth a formal cleaning and magnaflux, I saw one that failed and the results are really bad...

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 M1917s, 2 Eddystones and a Winchester, in .30-06. I also have a .22LR Eddystone M1917 single shot (soon to be a repeater) and 4 P-14, 2 Winchesters, 1 Remington and 1 Eddystone. I have always been fascinated by these rifles and why they were considered the red haired step-child nobody wanted. They have pulled both the US and Brits butts out of the fire more than once in WWI and WWII. These rifles with Parker Hale PH5B or Twin Zero rear target sights are tack drivers.
    --fjruple

I have always liked them.
    And by golly it was good enough for Private York.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sigh, I sold the one I had before I knew what two groove barrels were capable of.
    Fortunately he wanted it for military matches.

Boolit Buddy
    My son inherited one from his mother's family that's a total mixmaster: Eddystone receiver, Winchester bolt, Johnson barrel. Plus it had a sporter stock installed in the past, probably in the 60s. Should be complete junk, right? No, it shoots very well, thank you.

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/g...ng-answer.html

Check out this chromed drill/parade 1917

Boolit Buddy

One of the great things about this rifle is that the safety locks the striker. Very nice! Not to mention that the action locks up like a bank vault.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill*B View Post
    One of the great things about this rifle is that the safety locks the striker. Very nice! Not to mention that the action locks up like a bank vault.
    Yes indeed, it is one of the best on any high power rifle. Changing to a trigger safety would be a big mistake. I fitted the Dayton Traister all-steel trigger and cock-on-opening speedlock unit, which includes a replacement cocking piece. I found that the safety would no longer engage, so I did about the tiniest diamond burr job of my life on the notch with which the safety engages. I got it so that it would engage silently, which it didn't quite do before, and yet would lift the cocking-piece off the sear just that minute amount which is essential ng-for safety. If it doesn't, you can operate the trigger and leave the cocking-piece held by the safety alone.