Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 22 rifle

Buying a 22 rifle

Don't know why but suddenly I feel the need for a 22 rifle even though I have never been a rifle shooter.

I'm not in a hurry or need to rush out and do this and as I'm retired now and on a fixed income I have set a budget of no more than $200.00 and do not have an issue with buying a used one which is what I will most likely do.

Last weekend the wife and I went to a local gun show and I didn't see anything I liked or that was within my budget. At this time I believe what I would like is a bolt rifle rather than a semi-auto, pump or lever. I also think I would like to stay away from single shots. Mag fed or tube fed doesn't seem to matter.

I have been watching Armslist for rifles in my state that would eliminate having to have it shipped and then have to deal with an FFL transfer fee. Which just that alone would most likely add $40.00 to $60.00 to the cost of the gun. Having to pay sales tax would be much less.

So for now I've looked at many of the new and old model Marlin Bolt rifles, Some of the Savage rifles and a few old rebranded Sears, Wards, and such other store brands.

Any input you fine folks can provide will help. Right now I have a line on a used Savage MKII that looks pretty good with the right price only minus a scope. Some of the Marlin model 25's and 80's are fetching close to the same price as a new XT.

Boolit Master
    IME, the best new-mfg 'budget' bolt-action .22LR may be my Savage MkII FVSR (16" bull bbl).
    With regards to accuracy, it /approaches/ (but does not quite match) my CZ's, Ruger 77, etc - but at ~half the cost.

The one thing to keep in mind about those, though; for any of the newer inexpensive plastic-stocked versions, $100 needs to be budgeted for a wood or wood laminate stock IMO, to get the accuracy & consistency that is desired.

I am less familiar with the various older budget models however, and it certainly is hard to beat a basic old-school quality .22 bolt.
    There are so many of them on the used market that prices will in most cases be very reasonable, for what are usually very solidly-built, lightly used examples - the Marlins are the first that come to mind.

-----

Edit: Are you looking for a field rifle, or to primarily shoot from a bench?

My trim CZ 452 & 455 Americans are /far/ superior for a carry rifle, but my heavier laminate-stocked heavy-bbl Savage MkII is much nicer for serious bench work.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 10-05-2017 at 03:28 PM.

The one I'm looking at I believe is just a model F pre Accu-trigger. Priced just over $100.00 used

Check out the Marlin XT22 Series, many dealers offer great sales on the models (BassPro, Cabela's, Davidson, etc.) usually from $160 to $199. I have one with heavy barrel, clip feed, and Pro-fire trigger. The stock is (was) plastic (switched to Boyd's thumbhole). A very nice rifle at a reasonable price, also, it shoots great...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    IME, the best new-mfg 'budget' bolt-action .22LR may be my Savage MkII FVSR (16" bull bbl).
    With regards to accuracy, it /approaches/ (but does not quite match) my CZ's, Ruger 77, etc - but at ~half the cost.

The one thing to keep in mind about those, though; for any of the newer inexpensive plastic-stocked versions, $100 needs to be budgeted for a wood or wood laminate stock IMO, to get the accuracy & consistency that is desired.

I am less familiar with the various older budget models however, and it certainly is hard to beat a basic old-school quality .22 bolt.
    There are so many of them on the used market that prices will in most cases be very reasonable, for what are usually very solidly-built, lightly used examples - the Marlins are the first that come to mind.

-----

Edit: Are you looking for a field rifle, or to primarily shoot from a bench?

My trim CZ 452 & 455 Americans are /far/ superior for a carry rifle, but my heavier laminate-stocked heavy-bbl Savage MkII is much nicer for serious bench work.
    +1 on the Savage mark II. If there is a more accurate out of the box .22 in this price range, I haven't found it. Combined with the Accutrigger it is a tack driver. Look around the web, they can be had new for what you want to spend.

Here's a good site to start your search:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_...20II?view=list
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 10-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I think for a new rifle the Savage with Accu-trigger would be hard to beat.

+1 on the Marlin XT22. Heavy bbl, laminate wood stock, $199.99 new a few years ago. Shoots well on CCI Std. Vel. And Blazers too! Used should be well within your budget and leave enough for a rim fire scope. I like the Simmons 44 Mag.
    http://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/44_mag.aspx

After reading and watching youtube videos and contacting the seller I just purchased that used Savage MarkII for $115.00 and I can pick it up somewhat locally. It's about 1.5hr drive but it's nice country and the leaves are turning colors already. It's also on the way to a Cabela's and also Titan Reloading so that will make for a nice road trip.

Now I need to figure out a scope and mounts for it. Suggestions please?

For those suggesting it I really was looking and watching for a Marlin 25 or XT22

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Now I need to figure out a scope and mounts for it. Suggestions please?
    For the price, the Simmons 22Mag rimfire scope is hard to beat. Usually a 4x32 or 3-9x32, they run about $49 and are superb. One of the best buys around, but also consider any old Bushnell 3-9x40 take-off. Used scopes can be had pretty inexpensive.
    Last edited by Scorpion8; 10-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

No doubt I'll be spending time in ebay scouting scopes. Anyone know which mounts I'll need?

Banned
    I bought 2 22 rifles in the past year and a half. One is a semi auto. Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Very reliable, accurate little gun. But I really don't care for semi-autos. I paid $99 for it NEW at WALMART. That was less than 2 yrs ago. They still offer them for sale at that price. The next gun I bought was a Savage MK II. It is the Walmart one, bull barrel, but no accutrigger. (I found a mod on youtube that will make the trigger as good as a accutrigger for $0 investment.) I paid $149 or $147 for it. NEW at WALMART about a year ago. They still have them at that price. These guns are not built like the old ones. They have some cheap feeling stuff but they are very fine guns. If taken care of will last a long time, certainly more than a lifetime. I use the Savage to test high pressure loads that I am working with. They have a fail-safe designed into them that is a small portion of the face of the rim is not supported by steel. WHEN THEY BLOW OUT CASES the gas goes down into the magazine and not into the face. I have only blown out cases when pushing a 40 grain bullet at over 1650 fps or equivalent. According to our calculations that is over 22,000psi. No factory ammo will cause case failure in this gun. It is a strong and safe gun. Bolt action 22s are more expensive than semi autos. Unless you find a used bolt action that someone doesn't realize the value. You will not get a better deal than a new Savage MK II. And actually I find that the Mossberg Plinkster is a more pleasant gun to shoot. Very lightweight. Very ergonomic. It is a little small but fits a normal adult just fine. Where as I had to extend the stock of the Savage about an inch to make it fit well. I am not a really good marksman so I can't tell you first hand how accurate these guns are but I have read that people consider both of them outstanding in accuracy. The Mossberg has microgroove rifling like Marlins. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Traffer; 10-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Banned
    A word of Caution! The Savage MK II is drilled and tapped for a standard 1" scope mount. Don't buy a typical 3/4" 22 Rimfire Scope for it. You need a regular 1" Scope. I got a Tasco 3x9x40 "Pronghorn" Scope for mine for real cheap money. I am pretty sure it was under $30 at Walmart. It takes a Weaver # 48024 or NO 24 Scope Mount. Standard 1" rings fit on that mount. I believe that it's 22mm. Not the 3/8" or 11mm standard for 22 rimfire and air rifles. Here are some pictures of the scope and mount:
    Attachment 205297Attachment 205298Attachment 205299
    Last edited by Traffer; 10-06-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Marlin 60 semi auto. Feels like a full size rifle but perfectly portioned. Accurate as heck. $150 should get you a nice used rifle. Why work a bolt action when you don't have to? It's not like your saving your brass.

Boolit Master
    No doubt I'll be spending time in ebay scouting scopes. Anyone know which mounts I'll need?
    I have inexpensive Weaver bases (~$10), and inexpensive Weaver Classic rings (used for ~$10 at a gunshow, new for ~$15 shipped via eBay).

It's really difficult to improve on the Weaver system without spending /much/ more money.

Thank you everyone. This is going to be interesting for sure as I have never done this before..

Seems I am seeing conflicting info in that some pages I see with the Savage show it with dovetails while others do not. That it is drilled and tapped.

Also seems I have a lot to learn about scopes. Which are good, which are good, which are OK and which to avoid altogether..

I am rather excited about picking this little rifle up and checking it out.

Boolit Buddy
    You should be. A block of 22 ammo and a good 22 rifle is like being a kid in the bathtub with a Dixie cup. Endless cheap fun. Save up some old tin cans, soda cans, or any old targets and make them dance. The scope will help immensely, and these rifles (on average) are extremely accurate. We use these Savage rifles in our Hunter's Ed classes for the live fire quals and they routinely put 3 shots into an area the size of a penny at 50 feet.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Banned
    Thank you everyone. This is going to be interesting for sure as I have never done this before..

Seems I am seeing conflicting info in that some pages I see with the Savage show it with dovetails while others do not. That it is drilled and tapped.

Also seems I have a lot to learn about scopes. Which are good, which are good, which are OK and which to avoid altogether..

When you get yours check to see if it is drilled or if it has cuts in it. If it is drilled it does take a Weaver NO. 24 mount. Actually two of them. I think I bought a packet of two for like $6 at a place that sold that stuff. When you put those on (two screws on each one which come with them) you will have the mount. Then get standard 1" rings. Also inexpensive in the right place. I bought mine on eBay for about $3 for the pair. Then you are set up for any 1" scope you want to put on it. Even the cheapest 1" scope is better than almost any of the 3/4" scopes out there. For a 22, unless you are going to do some crazy world class match shooting, any 3x9 power scope will be PLENTY. As I said I bought the cheapest one they had at Walmart. I think it was under $30. Now for under $200 I have a rig that probably could do very well at a match competition. Enjoy!

Thanks Traffer. Going tomorrow morning to pick it up and yes I am excited. Been a long, long time since I've fired a rifle of any kind. We have a club nearby that runs a target league during the summer which sounds like a lot of fun.

Boolit Buddy
    It will probably not be your last 22 puchase. Look around for a ruger 10/22. They are just fun. I picked up a couple they go for around 130-150 with a scope down here.

Boolit Buddy
    I also agree woth kestrel4k. The CZ 452 is the real deal but the price will be more than 200 for a good used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast