Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a 22 rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Hit the Local Gun Shops and Pawn Shops, Look at and handle as many different models and styles as possible to see what feels right to you. Determine the uses for this rifle before hand, Hunting, small game , stalking or stand hunting, Informal target shooting or plinking, Formal target shooting. There are a lot of different .22 rifles out there and all can be usefull and a lot of fun. weight can vary a lot from 4lbs up to 14 lbs for a full blown target model. Watch the auction sights, also check the CMP store as they have used 22 target rifles from the military at times. Mossberg, Winchester, and Remington, I believe the kimbers are gone now. Local guns shows, GunShops Pawn Shops and even some dept stores ( wall marts, Ace hardware, tractor supplys) all may have a deal at times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    When you get yours check to see if it is drilled or if it has cuts in it. If it is drilled it does take a Weaver NO. 24 mount. Actually two of them. [...]
    Actually, the info I've put together on my Savage MkII has all of the following as being compatible:
    • #15: 0.195" height
    • #16: 0.205" h
    • #43: 0.265" h
    • #45: 0.396" h

IIRC, I've used (& still have) three of the four sets above, for when I was swapping different scopes (& their associated objective bell diameters).
    If you are saying #24 as well, I guess I have to add that one to the database as well, lol.

Banned
    Here you go: This is the one that is on my gun and working just fine.
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...fType=&from=fn

Banned
    As there is no need for anything different than a basic mount the #24 is all you need. If you want to make the scope higher you can use those elevated scope ring mounts that attach on top of the mount. I don't know the correct term for them except that when you order rings they will state if they are elevated or not.

I have talked with the seller and he tells me there are 3/8" dovetail rails on the receiver. He is also a small dealer and has offered to put a scope on it. What he has offered is a Simmons 8 point 3X9 for $40.00 and bore sighted or either a 2X7 or 3X9 FM scope for $35.00. What do you folks think? Should I take it or pass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have talked with the seller and he tells me there are 3/8" dovetail rails on the receiver. He is also a small dealer and has offered to put a scope on it. What he has offered is a Simmons 8 point 3X9 for $40.00 and bore sighted or either a 2X7 or 3X9 FM scope for $35.00. What do you folks think? Should I take it or pass?
    That is different than mine. Maybe an older (and better) model. I would go with the Simmons 8 point scope. But others may disagree. I believe that is a 1" scope so you would need special mounts to mount it on the 3/8" rails which are made for a 3/4" 22 caliber scope. But as he is a gun smith he would have access to the different mount. As far as "do you want a scope?" If your eyes are like mine you do.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Weaver, Redfield, (my 1st choice) and several foreign brands, make 1" rings to clamp onto the 3/8" dovetail. They are readily available at most any gunshop worthy of the name. You just have to make sure they are high enough to clear the objective bell and the rear sight may have to be removed in some instances.

Be aware that at typical 22 RF ranges, with a non-AO scope, parallax can be an issue.

For economy scopes with AO, I have found BSA to be a good value, especially their Essential Air series, although almost any of the economy scopes will pretty much be the same, dollar for dollar. Pay your nickel and take your choice.

I believe, were I doing this, with your level of knowledge, I would hold off on the scope till a bit more research was done.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

hands down, the savage mkII fv. cheap and mighty accurate. its bull barrel is a plus. add in some decent 4x32 glass and yer good to go. while not at all required or needed, i swapped the plastic stock for a boyds barracuda and added simmons 4-12x44 glass. very accurate at 100 yards with cci standard .22lr ammo. sweet.

The rifle is now in my hands. I'm pretty impressed with it's overall condition for a used $115.00 rifle. I passed on the scope. Last night I read some reviews on the Simmons he had to offer and I wasn't that impressed. So there is no hurry to get a scope on this I will take the time to educate myself a bit more about scopes before I buy one. A case of I'd rather spend a bit more the 1st time than have to do it twice. But I'm still thinking a 2-7 or a 3-9.

Boolit Master
    When you scope your rifle, I would most likely be able to send you a set of RF dovetail rings, for free - which should accommodate most typical scopes. Just send me a PM anytime.

Thank you for the offer Kestrel.

Did a lot of reading last night, especially on 22 rimfire rifle scopes and close ranges. So for right now I have my search narrowed down to 2 makes. The Nikon and the Barska. Leaning towards one of the two Barska models of either the 3X9 Plinker 22 or the 17 hot Magnum. Both have had excellent reviews.

Banned

like most things in life, only FAR more so with rifle glass, you will get what you pay for for the very most part. having seen and used barska glass, i would feel lots luckier with a nikon product. but don't listen to me or anyone else - if at all possible, check glass out in person, then do yer buying at the vendor's store or online.

for a .22rf, one need not go further than a simple but decent 4x32 fixed power scope. the glass will probably be better than a variable and so will the extended power view. lots less to go wrong with fixed power and a 4x is fine out to 100 yards, with a larger field of view. i have a 4-12x44 on one of my .22rf's, and it's really overkill. but, to each their own. enjoy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    like most things in life, only FAR more so with rifle glass, you will get what you pay for for the very most part. having seen and used barska glass, i would feel lots luckier with a nikon product. but don't listen to me or anyone else - if at all possible, check glass out in person, then do yer buying at the vendor's store or online.

for a .22rf, one need not go further than a simple but decent 4x32 fixed power scope. the glass will probably be better than a variable and so will the extended power view. lots less to go wrong with fixed power and a 4x is fine out to 100 yards, with a larger field of view. i have a 4-12x44 on one of my .22rf's, and it's really overkill. but, to each their own. enjoy.
    As long as we are on the subject of scopes. I am a casual shooter. I have used 4x and 6x scopes on the 22 rifles that I have. I bought a 3x9 because my eyes are really that bad now. This is a $30 scope with an adjustable parallax. It sure enables me to see and hit a 100 yard target like none of the open sights or 4x or 6x scopes that I have previously used. It seems to hold zero just fine. So being quite naive about these things, why would anyone need anything better than that?

I too am of the failing eyes camp.

We had to run out to Walmart this morning to pick up a few things so I wandered back to sporting goods. There in the cabinet was the Barska scope I had been looking at online. Only instead of being the $50.00 that it was listed on their website it was only $25.00 so I bought it. Again everywhere I looked, Midway, Amazon, Walmart this was in the $50.00 range. And again all the reviews were excellent so I figure for the money it was worth a shot.

It mounted right up on the Savage and it looks very clear and bright. Still will have to get out and sight it in. Range report will be due!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    As long as we are on the subject of scopes. I am a casual shooter. I have used 4x and 6x scopes on the 22 rifles that I have. I bought a 3x9 because my eyes are really that bad now. This is a $30 scope with an adjustable parallax. It sure enables me to see and hit a 100 yard target like none of the open sights or 4x or 6x scopes that I have previously used. It seems to hold zero just fine. So being quite naive about these things, why would anyone need anything better than that?
    They aren't all bad. You just don't know until you try it out whether it is a good one.
    The odds are just better with more expensive glass.
    That said, the most expensive scope I own cost me $470. It is a Weaver t36 target scope and it sits on my long range rifle. I use scopes up to 20X on my 22rimfire rifles. Usually, cost is around $200.
    A couple of my older 22s wear scopes that cost $30-50 and work just fine for what I do with them.

Well I'm going to look at it from this viewpoint. I only paid $115.00 for the rifle so it doesn't make much sense to put a $100.00 scope on it to basically shoot bottles, cans or paper punching. I also don't believe adding a $100.00 or better scope to it would have increased it's overall value. One of the primary concerns that I'd read about rimfire scopes is the distances that they are normally shot to. The Parallax issue to be more precise.

So with my eyes and rifle skill level I will be more than happy to be able to see the target at 50yds. and to be able to hold 2" groups.

Also I can't say enough about the reviews I'd read on this scope from Midway, Amazon and one other site that I don't recall. Very few with a don't buy it. I then also compared those reviews to the Simmons scopes, The BSA scopes and some of the Bushnell scopes made for the 22 rimfire and as best I could tell this scope rated the best.

I understand this is not a "top of the line" product but then I'm not a top of the line shooter either. You also will not see me bash it if it doesn't perform. That goes for the gun also. Anyways that's my perspective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12