RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.8, 6.5, or 300BLK

Boolit Buddy

6.8, 6.5, or 300BLK

I want to build an AR upper to use for deer hunting and target shooting mainly for my missus to use but just to get some use out of my AR. Should I go with 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel or 300 BLK and why? The Grendel really appeals to me because one day I'd really like to start playing with long range shooting but Im not sure it's worth the extra expense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Grendel for hunting. Plus if you want, for target shooting too.

From the Wikipedia web page:

Boolit Grand Master
    6.5 Grendel. Accurate and not that expensive to load for. I use 7.62 x 39 brass I get 3K fps with a 90gr tnt out of my 24" barreled Model 1 sales upper with groups hovering about 1/2" if I do my part.

IMO- in order of effectiveness on game; 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, and .300 blackout. I have a .300 and love it, my cousin has the 6.8 and has 16 one shot kills on pigs(he loves it), and a buddy has the 6.5 and it's more accurate than ours and the cartridge mimics the .250 Savage on game.
    The .300 is the easiest to get into and does a good job within 100yds. On your build for the wife; concentrate on light weight and simplicity and she will like it better.

Boolit Master
    6.5 grendel all the way for me!

Boolit Master

How about .277 Wolverine? About the same as a 6.8 but no special mag or bolt needed. Ammo is available albeit from limited sources but many of us reload anyway.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on 6.5 Grendel. It's what the Army should have chosen instead of the 6.8 SPC. It has better down range accuracy and ballistics. Easy to load for using 7.62x39 brass. But I wouldn't knock the 6.8 either since it has 50% more energy than the 223 and it does its job well. The 300 is OK but has limitations for hunting.

Toss in the 40WT also. 223 brass and 2400 fps with 120 tsx (?) or blacktip factory stuff. 1200 ft-# @ 150 and 2" drop. I use a 145gr cast @ 2100 fps, 1200 ft-# @ 100. If I need longer than 100 yd shots, I'll take the 308 with 168gr. @ 2400 fps. X39 brass in 223 lower?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    6.8 is a fantastic round for deer and low recoil especially In a the AR platform. I have all three calibers you mentioned and the 6.8 is an effective round for pigs or deer or treed bears. TSX is great bullet for the 6.8 out too 250 yards in a 16" BBL

Why is there not a 6.5x 45 on the .223 case? Gotta be one out there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Why is there not a 6.5x 45 on the .223 case? Gotta be one out there?

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2414

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Ok this really peaks my interest where can I find a barrel chambered in this round? A quick internet search turns up naught.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like my blackout, it's a fun gun with subs and supers in a short barrel and a suppressor. Good round for playing with cast boolits as well. 6.8 has a lot of potential as a great hunting round. I always liked the 270 but thought it was a bit more than I needed so the 6.8 fits that niche. The 277 Wolverine is a good round close to the 6.8 with just a barrel change much like the Blackout is for a 223 rifle. They are like Chiclets you can't have just one!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Grendel has my vote. It does well with cast bullets also.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Although the Grendel will be my next upper, I believe for hunting I would go along with popper in choosing the 30X40 Wilson. Gp

Nope. One based on the .223 case.

Boolit Master

6.8 and 6.5 would be better for hunting than the 300 unless you are wanting to use a suppressor. I had a 6.8 and my son has a 6.5, we both have 300's. I sold my 6.8 upper to get a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my Encore.

Boolit Master

.277 Wolverine has caught my eye. I want to experiment with it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    .277 Wolverine has caught my eye. I want to experiment with it.
    Has caught my eye as well
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I have used the 6.8 SPC from 11.3”, 16”, 18”, and 20” guns it is a great round for deer, antelope, and coyotes. I don’t know what you consider long range but I have had no problems hitting 700 yards steel with the longer barreled uppers. I currently only have a 16” Ruger bolt action and a 11.3” Wilson Combat, if I want to shoot long range I just get something else out of the safe.

300 blackout is joke of a cartridge, not great (but not bad) for super Sonics only worth shooting subs if your shooting suppressed and I don’t personally trust subs for hunting. I have a 9” barreled upper for my SBR and don’t do anything with it other than blast plates. I did kill a couple antelope with a 16” 300 whisper I use to own before the 300blk was cool, bullets have come a long ways for it in the last 8 years at the time 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips were the best choice. If subs are what you want to do I’d look at building a 45acp AR, range would be limited but you wouldn’t need to worry if it was going to expand when it hits. 200gr SWC going 1100fps would be pretty effective through the shoulders of a deer.

THE best round for a standard AR is the 6x45, if you want something other than a 223. Shoot the 85gr partition or 80gr Barnes TTSX and you have a killer hunting round.

I haven’t played with the Grendel for various reasons if I did I would just build a 6.5x6.8SPC instead.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 10-15-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast