Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 308 Ruger Gunsite Scout with CGC

Boolit Bub

308 Ruger Gunsite Scout with CGC

Just got the Ruger Scout 308 with the 18 inch barrel and decided to load some 311291 CGC 180's with IMR 4895 using the Lyman 49th reloading Handbook. I loaded 50 rounds starting at 33.5gr and increased one grain for each set of 10 ending at 37.5gr. According to Lyman the OAL was suppose to be 2.510, but the bullet was into the rifling about .125. I seated the bullet until it was just off the rifling with an OAL of 2.405 and is in the case about .5, compressing the power. Is this going to be safe to shoot.
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it will be safe to shoot. Whether it will be accurate at any distance is questionable.

Given the 10" twist and short barrel you would be better served starting at 25 gr 4895 and work up to 32 gr in 1/2 gr increments and using a .7 to 1 gr dacron filler. You'll find the best accuracy in the 1800 to 1900 fps range.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't increase loads by that much personally, you could completely miss your accuracy node going in whole grain jumps.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Banned

You are going to find 28-29grs the sweet spot for the 308 and 4895. Like Larry said, the twist and short barrel are holding you back.

Boolit Bub
    Great rifle