Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: PC gums up ported barrels. True or False?

Boolit Master

PC gums up ported barrels. True or False?

I have not yet shot my 45 colt and .45 ACP PC coated boolits out of my ported Wolverine revolver.

I would be interested in knowing about the experiences members have had in this vein.

I believe that I read somewhere that lead boolits will leave heavy deposits in ported barrels and require extra cleaning. However this has not been my experience with my ported revolver at all. Maybe I was just lucky.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Shoot powder coated bullets in a M1 Carbine with no powder coat in the gas system after shooting a lot at one time. My grand son goes thru the M1 ammo when we go to the range.
    Shoot a few and see if there is in powder coat in the port. Have shoot thousands of powder coated bullets with out any lead or problems with the gun barrels.
    My wife and I shoot a lot of 38 Special with powder coated bullets with very good results.

I shoot full auto PC. I think it does more cleaning than gumming.

Boolit Man
    I shoot PC in a 300 BO and 458 with no problems. I am not sure of the round count, but has to be between 800-1000.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had my comps lead up with Hi-Tech and Randy's gray PC paints but I don't get any build up using Smoke's PC.

Boolit Master
    I have written about this several times. Before I started powder coating I was shooting a 440gr Lee from my 500 S&W using 13gr Unique. The load is amazingly accurate. Since it was a basically low pressure load I didn't gas check them. Even at this low pressure the base was getting pressure cut when the boolits were leaving the bore and entering the muzzle brake. The results was a lead painted muzzle brake.

Then I switched to PC. I shake and bake so the entire bullet gets covered. This stopped the fouling in the muzzle brake.

Most recently I tried a new load. 27.5gr Lil-Gun (start load from Lyman manual). This load produces over 30,000 psi. I'm still using the 440 without gas check. This load is also working perfectly. Accuracy is great and the muzzle brake only has carbon fouling in it.

Motor

I have a Redhalk in 44 mag with a 7 1/2 inch Magna ported barrel.

I shoot the Lee 310 gr powder coated SWC w/gas check with a max load of H-110 with no leading.
    Barrel or ports.