WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: washing boolits before hi tek coating

Boolit Master

washing boolits before hi tek coating

How many do this? The reason for my question is that, while I'm mostly happy with the hi tek system, I have maybe 5% of the boolits that have a small patch that will scrub off on the driving band in the sizer. The rest are fine. I was thinking that these few may have something on them (hand oil etc). My alloy is accoww/sn. Thought maybe washing them might cure this. Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Do you touch the projectiles with bare hands before they are fully coated? I make sure i use gloves till mine are fully coated.

Even with doing that, there are times that you will get coating that will come off a little.

If you use mould release lube, washing them before coating is a good idea. My dad was messing around near my coating area, he managed to spray oil over a batch..... So i washed them with acetone to get the oil off. they seemed to work just fine after the wash.

I generally don't touch the bare bullets. Even if you do, unless you are sweating like a pig & never wash your hands, not much oil is transferred to a bullet. I don't do anything special to my bullets prior to coating, HT or PC.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I touch all my boolits in the sorting process. Been casting and lubing more than 20 yrs. This hi tek stuff is new, and so far I like it except for the few that don't turn out. I shoot Bayou Bullets Hi Tek coated boolits in my 2 9mm that I buy. None have any scrub marks on them and they shoot great.I figured I may need to modify my method.

Boolit Master
    In my case when first started coating the coating was too thick. Now use a very thin coat with 50% more acetone. Only shake a short time before pouring coated bullets on screen wire to dry. The thin coating with little shaking has resulted in better coating with no spots that are not coated. The acetone may clean the bullets a little while making the first coat.
    Thin coating requires to coats but the bullets look better and shoot fine.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    How many do this? The reason for my question is that, while I'm mostly happy with the hi tek system, I have maybe 5% of the boolits that have a small patch that will scrub off on the driving band in the sizer. The rest are fine. I was thinking that these few may have something on them (hand oil etc). My alloy is accoww/sn. Thought maybe washing them might cure this. Any thoughts?
    Ive never needed to wash boolits and i touch every single one because i often size before first coat. I DO make sure they dont come near any of my bench that i use to clean guns near, most all of the cleaners have oils in them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Never had a problem with touching bullets prior to coating.
    But... now wear latex gloves as bare hands touching lead is bad juju for your health.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    The only reason for washing is if the lead gets contaminated between casting and coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    i often size before first coat.
    As has been mentioned before, this isn't really a good idea as it can close up the "pores" on the surface and could affect the coating's ability to bond. Better to size after the first coat (I now do it after the second coat, just to make my life easier).