WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better RCBS or Lyman Lube sizer????

Boolit Grand Master

Which is better RCBS or Lyman Lube sizer????

I've been using a Lyman. Just got a RCBS.
    Which is better??????

Boolit Master
    both work but they like their own dies . will interchange BUT will find the seal dont work perfect

Boolit Buddy

I like the Lyman 4500 with a dimmer switch to control heat. Once you find the right setting mark it on the dimmer dial then just turn it to the mark and lube has just the right flow and no mess. Use white label red carnauba.

Banned

out of the two the rcbs would be my choice if for no other reason then when and if it broke id have rcbs to back it instead of lyman. Best advice I could give you is to save a bit longer and buy a star.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    both work but they like their own dies . will interchange BUT will find the seal dont work perfect
    This isn't the case at all. I have four RCBS LAM1s and all my dies are Lyman. Nothing leaks. The choice is preference. But the RCBS is a more robust design w/ a warranty. When something breaks RCBS will replace it. Good luck w/ warranty service from Lyman.

Gosh I generally can simply watch these pissing matches. I'm in. Why not ask who has a beautiful wife or ugly kid.
    Attachment 205227
    In one week from now this Lyman 450 will celebrate its fiftieth birthday. It has seen continuous duty with a thirty year streak of producing 2500 lubed and sized projectiles a month. This is a very conservative number based solely on primer receipts. The projectiles from this press has allowed me to win many gold medals at Florida state level shooting competitions in several different shooting disciplines. When used conscientiously, it is beyond me how any of the tools could become broken.
    No I'm not a Lyman salesman. My Dillon press is 38 years old and going strong.
    Attachment 205232
    The Lee casting pot is over forty now and I will probably replace the heating element many more times. I am still feeding a Ruger flat top that will soon be a senior citizen. All the equipment mentioned are good. Whatever you get will end up the best in your opinion. The point is, take care of the tool and it will perform.
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 10-05-2017 at 06:51 AM.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

Who's brand bashing? Nothing wrong w/ pointing out Lyman's lack of warranty service. Beyond that it's all personal preference.

I have a LAM2, LAM1 and an old Lyman 45, all serve me well.

Thumbs up

"This isn't the case at all. I have four RCBS LAM1s and all my dies are Lyman. Nothing leaks. The choice is preference. But the RCBS is a more robust design w/ a warranty. When something breaks RCBS will replace it. Good luck w/ warranty service from Lyman." ...dragon....

Exactly right!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    out of the two the rcbs would be my choice if for no other reason then when and if it broke id have rcbs to back it instead of lyman. Best advice I could give you is to save a bit longer and buy a star.
    Bingo
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I prefer the RCBS and old Lyman 45s. I also prefer RCBS dies. The chamfered entrance is nice for GC boolits. Next prchase though, will be a Star.

Veral Smith likes the RCBS one. That's what he told me about 18 mos. ago.

Boolit Grand Master

I have gotten good service from my Lyman 450. I replaced the "O" rings this past summer. Between the two, I would probably buy the RCBS because the handle linkage looks stronger and because of their warranty.
    Last edited by lightman; 10-05-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Banned
    “In one week from now this Lyman 450 will celebrate its fiftieth birthday.”

That’s because it was built when Lyman still was made in the US and had a high-quality standard.

Like other are saying, I love my OLD Lyman & Ideal products BUT will not but new Lyman products due to their lower quality, poor quality control, poor warranty and unacceptable customer service.

There was a time when Lyman and RCBS were both quality products.

Now I’d go RCBS, STAR or almost anything else before the new Lyman.

Boolit Master
    Of the two I'd go with the RCBS as it is more robust......but the Star is easily my first pick, I have 2 Lyman, 2 RCBS, and 3 Stars and the Stars see the most use by far.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lyman lube sizer.I have a 45,2 450's and a 4500.The 4500 is newer and made in the USA.I haven't used the RCBS sizer but they are a good choice as well.The only problem I have with a Saeco is the price of dies and top punches.I have never broken a handle or any other parts on a lube sizer.That would probably only happen thru abuse.

Boolit Master
    I have a beautiful wife. She didn't get so lucky..........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I own 3 Lyman 450's. I've been using them for 40 yrs. I like them.

I've got both. The RCBS is my preference. They both work fine, I just prefer the RCBS. You'll be turning out good bullets and happy with either.

Boolit Master

Currently have two Lyman 450's and a Lyman 45 but, in 45 years of casting, have never bought a new lubrisizer...all were used when they came to me. I think the key may be "old" Lyman vs. "new". Yeah, over the years, I've replaced a part or two here and a few O-rings there but my Lymans have served me well. That said, if I were to buy a new sizer tomorrow, it would probably be an RCBS simply because of Lyman's poor reputation for customer service.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast