RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Optics Suggestions

Optics Suggestions

I’m in the final process of acquiring all the components to complete my new build. All the major decision but one have been made. I need some help with the optics. I just can’t seem to narrow the search enough to hit the “buy” button. Instead of listing scopes that I feel will work, I’m asking you all for help in what, I’m sure many of you have already determined, will work.

Here are the basics:
    The rifle is a Remington action with Timney trigger. It’s chambered in 260 Remington with a 22” Heavy Barrel.
    I’ll only be shooting paper from the bench out to 600 yards.

Because I promised my wife not to exceed a certain dollar amount, and having already gone overboard on some of the items, I’m limited to a purchase price of $500 for the glass.

I would like something that has magnification of at least 18x and plus 20x if possible. I prefer variable but would consider fixed. If variable, it must have a side parallax. SFP is acceptable since I don’t think anything in FFP is available for my price limit.

I dislike busy reticles and prefer one that has a thinner cross hair. BDC is OK. I really like the style of the SWFA reticles. Illumination is not need. My eyes are getting older by the minute so larger eye relief that isn’t contingent on perfect cheek weld would be appreciated. A decent warranty is always a plus.

I’m not a brand name snob so I’m open to all suggestions. So…. what do you all have for me?
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 10-04-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy

Vortex Viper 6x24 They go on sale occasionally at Cabela's and are close to your price point.

Banned

Thank you for the responses. Usually, at least for me, smaller objective lens with higher magnification equal very small eye relief. One must be perfectly positioned with a perfect check weld every time. I was hoping to find something with a 50mm objective lens. I have a SWFA 16x–42mm that I really like but the window box is very finicky. The perfect scope would be at least 18x with a 50mm objective, side parallax with a BDC style reticle.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz64 View Post
    Buzz,
    Thanks. This was on my original short list. Anyone have experience with this scope?

Boolit Buddy

I do. Have this same scope on a CZ 527 in 223 and a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. Hundreds of rounds through the .223 and a couple hundred through the .308. Both held steady and have are great in lower light. BTW, like most good scope manufacturers, life-time no questions asked warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz64 View Post
    I do. Have this same scope on a CZ 527 in 223 and a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. Hundreds of rounds through the .223 and a couple hundred through the .308. Both held steady and have are great in lower light. BTW, like most good scope manufacturers, life-time no questions asked warranty.
    Thanks for the testimonial. Real world experience was what I was looking for. The other considerations where:

Nikon Prostaff 7 4.5-16 x50 . A little less max magnification than what I was hoping for.
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Thanks again for the input Buzz
    Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield E1
    Bushnell Engage 6-24x50

Any first hand experience with these?

Boolit Buddy

Only other scope of this class worth mentioning that I owned was a Leupold VX-II. It was the best at the time that I knew about. It is a great scope but then (80s), again a lot more expensive, comparatively. I worked at the gun library at Cabela's for three years and saw LOTS of scopes on guns that came in for trade. Seldom saw a vortex come in - when asked folks said they kept it for "their new rifle". Guess that says a lot too. I did a lot of comparison shopping myself behind the counter and decided on Vortex. For me it is great - for the price point. You can do better but you pay a lot more for a little step up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    I’m in the final process of acquiring all the components to complete my new build. All the major decision but one have been made. I need some help with the optics. I just can’t seem to narrow the search enough to hit the “buy” button. Instead of listing scopes that I feel will work, I’m asking you all for help in what, I’m sure many of you have already determined, will work.

Here are the basics:
    The rifle is a Remington action with Timney trigger. It’s chambered in 260 Remington with a 22” Heavy Barrel.
    I’ll only be shooting paper from the bench out to 600 yards.

Because I promised my wife not to exceed a certain dollar amount, and having already gone overboard on some of the items, I’m limited to a purchase price of $500 for the glass.

I would like something that has magnification of at least 18x and plus 20x if possible. I prefer variable but would consider fixed. If variable, it must have a side parallax. SFP is acceptable since I don’t think anything in FFP is available for my price limit.

I dislike busy reticles and prefer one that has a thinner cross hair. BDC is OK. I really like the style of the SWFA reticles. Illumination is not need. My eyes are getting older by the minute so larger eye relief that isn’t contingent on perfect cheek weld would be appreciated. A decent warranty is always a plus.

I’m not a brand name snob so I’m open to all suggestions. So…. what do you all have for me?
    I picked up a Vortex 4-14 (Crossfire II) for my spare 10/22 and I have to say I would choose vortex over Leupold again. My other Leupold scopes are the VXII 2-7 and before that I used a VXII 3-9. The Vortex is clear enough at 14 to see my hits with the .22 at 50yd.

The Viper HS LR 6-24x50 sounds like it would fit the bill nicely.

To one and all, thanks for the insightful feedback. Looks like I'm going to pop for the Vortex. Think I found a good deal. Camera Land has them on line $319.

Boolit Master
    I have an swfa scope on of my bolt actions and 0 complaints. On the average though I pull off whatever junk scope I get on my trades and replace with Leopold. They have all treated me well and my dad has been ticked when I outshot him on his old 3006
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    To one and all, thanks for the insightful feedback. Looks like I'm going to pop for the Vortex. Think I found a good deal. Camera Land has them on line $319.
    For the money it's a darn good scope. Iv'e got on on an AR with White Oak Armaments 1/12 20" Bull varmint barrel. I've been very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I have an swfa scope on of my bolt actions and 0 complaints. On the average though I pull off whatever junk scope I get on my trades and replace with Leopold. They have all treated me well and my dad has been ticked when I outshot him on his old 3006
    I'm a fan of SWFA. One of their 16x42 is mounted on a HB 223 build I did earlier this year. Hard to beat for the price even though I wish the eye relief was a little bit better. I'd have looked to them again for the 260 Rem build but they don't offer the magnification along with Objective lens size I wanted.