ADvertise hereRotoMetals2Graf & SonsTitan Reloading
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationLee Precision

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not paying it forward!

Boolit Master

Oregon. Hate the politics, but love the weather!
    There is PIF and Helping Hands. I prefer the second, as it requires no action on the part of the recipient. If my next door neighbor (if I had one!) was just getting into reloading and had a limited budget I'd just give him my excess stuff. Plus, it's all on the honor system anyway--
    does the recipient really need the item(s) being given, or is it just greed-- there's no way to tell. Hopefully they'll do the same for someone down the road when they recognize a need, or just want to move something off their bench. Being concerned about if a PIF is followed up and whether or not the item offered is of comparable value kind of takes the pleasure out of having given originally. The PIF creates an obligation, but with Helping Hands there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Agree that in a self policing PIF situation, banking only confuses the system. It should be take one, give one and it should be done within 24 hours or an explanation is warranted. This doesn’t mean necessarily someone is scamming the system , but at our advanced ages forgetting is getting more common.
    I was going to comment on this post, but it slipped my mind. I might remember what I was going to say later (of course I'll have forgot where the OP is by then).
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I'm behind on my PIF, can't find the darn brass I was going to list.

I'll post 2 to make up, hopefully this weekend. Life also gets in the way more often than we'd like.

Boolit Master
    I have been the recipient of one PIF and while I have not specifically posted up another PIF on this forum, I have sent items to members of both this and other forums at my own expense and just to help them out. I believe the goal of anything like this is to help each other out, not necessarily to keep score. Yes, you will always have a freeloader or two. That is the nature of our current "entitled" society, but for the most part, the community involved here and in other like forums is going to honor the intent of the PIF concept.
    Protecting this country and it's communities isn't just the job of soldiers and police, but of every patriot who is capable.

A few people here have given away a lot of stuff and not taken anything. I don't think it's unfair for someone like that to take something and not immediately offer something in return so there's always that to consider.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    There is PIF and Helping Hands. I prefer the second, as it requires no action on the part of the recipient. If my next door neighbor (if I had one!) was just getting into reloading and had a limited budget I'd just give him my excess stuff. Plus, it's all on the honor system anyway--
    does the recipient really need the item(s) being given, or is it just greed-- there's no way to tell. Hopefully they'll do the same for someone down the road when they recognize a need, or just want to move something off their bench. Being concerned about if a PIF is followed up and whether or not the item offered is of comparable value kind of takes the pleasure out of having given originally. The PIF creates an obligation, but with Helping Hands there is none.

I agree with The mountain infantryman,

I always felt that term PIF was a way to take the burden off someone you have just helped suggesting that they help someone else in a time of need when things were better for them and a situation presented itself.

In this forum none of us really need anything gun related.

We all really want (gun related items), some more than others

So this PIF forum is confusing to me.

Just my opinion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I really like the way you think!

how about the people that have one or two "in the hole"

i have posted 2 things now and have not taken anything....

maybe the people in question are in the same situation...

Honestly, I still don't know what Pay it forward really entails. When I give someone something, I just give it to them. That's it. No expectations, nothing. When someone gives me something, I didn't realize that I was obligated to do something in return. I will decline any offers of free stuff if that is the way it works.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    A semi-newbie perspective, take it for what it's worth.

Threads like this are why I stay out of the PIF and helping hands section. I don't even bother looking, I just move past them, not interested! Sorry, I'm still fairly new, I don't have much I can part with, if anything. There have been times I've been in a rare position to help members out, and have tried to be refused? But that's in the general forum, not tracked in the PIF forum.
    I've been the VERY lucky recipient of things on other forums, with no expectations from the senders, but have gone out of my way to help other members in need, quietly, as I could through pm's as I chose to be altruistic. I don't feel the need to break my wrist patting myself on the back.
    So I'm new, I don't really get how "it's supposed to be", and I certainly don't want to be called out for a deadbeat, I stay out of them.
    For whatever it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Honestly, I still don't know what Pay it forward really entails. When I give someone something, I just give it to them. That's it. No expectations, nothing. When someone gives me something, I didn't realize that I was obligated to do something in return. I will decline any offers of free stuff if that is the way it works.
    Here is the current rules, pretty simple and they cover pretty much every point everyone is making here....

PIF "suggested rules"
    I used the word "suggested", as this is all on the honor system.

Generally, if you claim a PIF item you, are obligated to "Pay If Forward", by offering a new PIF item. (yes this has become more of a pay it back thing, we have a "Helping Hands" forum for gifting items where there is no return item suggested).

Generally, the member offering a PIF item will pay the postage to ship it to the recipient (if you want to give something away, but want the recipient to pay postage, you should offer that in the sellin' and swappin' section)

If you prefer to offer a PIF "lottery style", because you are offering a valuable item or one that you believe many people will want and you wish to offer many members a more fair chance at it, that is allowed (be sure to post details, including a dead line)

This forum area is not for posting wish lists or for trading a specific item for one you want because we have a WTB forum for that, so please don't post wish list items.

I am asking everyone that claims a PIF item to have a return item available for PIF as soon as possible...like 24 to 48 hours. Members that can't post a PIF item right away, please post "I will post an PIF item ASAP" in the post you claim it, but please don't forget about it.

When posting a PIF item for one that you claimed, please list the PIF item you claimed and person that offered it, at the end of your post, so other members will know what it is for. If its a new PIF that you are just offering, to create a new PIF stream, Congrats! just mention that it is a new PIF item, at end of the post.

If a PIF item you offered for another item is sitting dead for a while, please add to it, or offer another item (in either case, be sure to bump the thread ...or close it & start a new thread).

Please limit your PIF claims, you don't want to look too greedy, a previous suggestion from years back was to limit PIF claims to no more than one per month...but this is on the honor system, use your best judgement.

This forum section is self moderated, so please dont take advantage of it and let everyone down. Thanks, Mike
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

well i will repeat myself , i think this is great as you can and do find stuff maybe you can use or have been looking for and besides it's a fun section and everyone should set back and enjoy it. this is the first place i go and it's not to find something i need but to see what you got just like a garage sale. enjoy it life is too short.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    when i myself "pay it forward" ...i don't blow trumpets.
    most generally if somebody needs something i have (and i don't need it) i'll ask for their mailing address and tel them via p.m. that it's on the way. no big hullabaloo.

end of story.

Sorry, don't want to offend, but to me it's more trouble than it's worth.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    While I have never PIF here on this site, I have many times helped people get started by giving them some of my starter stuff. The condition was, that when they out grew or no longe used, to PIF to another newbie. No time limit demanded.

I never knew it had to be done right away, glad I never took advantage of it.

When I buy an LEO's his lunch, I don't expect him to buy someone else's..Just my .02

Boolit Buddy
    I have two pay it forwards banked and have three ready to go.when i see something i could use I'm to slowLOL. Other times i say to myself someone else can use that more than me.The two i banked were taking up shelf space and i figured some one could use them the three i have ready will most likely go one at a time also i never look to see if who got mine comes back with a PIF.
    Last edited by dpoe001; 10-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm a couple of PIFs ahead, but I don't consider them to be banked, just donated. I also have a couple of items on the shelf if I ever do get another one. I think that is the best way to go.

I have had people give me stuff here. I didn't know if it was for pif or what? I have given people stuff here with no strings attached. Once I posted that I was looking for old dies that were of standard 7/8 14 thread in order to make adapters from them because I make dies with 5/8 18 bolts and need adapters to use them in a standard press. Wow, I was almost overwhelmed by people offering to give me stuff. I had several people send me dies. Those dies have enabled me to make the necessary adapters to get my dies built and working. I am very grateful for their generosity. Again, I have no idea if I was supposed to give something back. But I have given stuff to people, some of which has taken many many hours to build. In face I spent most of the summer making stuff for people for free. So am I in violation of some code of ethics here?
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    A semi-newbie perspective, take it for what it's worth.

Threads like this are why I stay out of the PIF and helping hands section. I don't even bother looking, I just move past them, not interested! Sorry, I'm still fairly new, I don't have much I can part with, if anything. There have been times I've been in a rare position to help members out, and have tried to be refused? But that's in the general forum, not tracked in the PIF forum.
    I've been the VERY lucky recipient of things on other forums, with no expectations from the senders, but have gone out of my way to help other members in need, quietly, as I could through pm's as I chose to be altruistic. I don't feel the need to break my wrist patting myself on the back.
    So I'm new, I don't really get how "it's supposed to be", and I certainly don't want to be called out for a deadbeat, I stay out of them.
    For whatever it's worth.
    Helping Hands is very simple. There are only four rules. You won't be called a Deadbeat for asking for help or receiving help.
    PIF is a little different. In PIF, you are expected to quickly post something in return.

It's easy enough to track activity in the PIF threads when you check posting dates...when it was asked for and when that person put a PIF back up.
    There's more than one gap in it...I'd imagine that's why Texas by God started this thread...he's tracked the transactions.
    If you don't know the rules it's because you haven't bothered to look.

As usual, the intent of this thread to get things back on course has turned into a back patting blow your own horn thread.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast