Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt by gawd....

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt by gawd....

Just like He and Elmer intended. I wonder how Elmer would have experimented with the New Model Super Blackhawk? Kinda looks good atop my 1955 edition. Saw this up at a gunshop in Renton, WA and it was lust at first sight. One of Lipseys exclusives, 3 3/4" 45 Colt/ACP convertible. Headed to the range tomorrow with 100 assorted Category 1 and II handloads under 255 gr LSWCs. The chamber throats are .452, as near as I can slug. Fit and finish are exemplary, trigger pull right at 3.5 lbs on my gauge. I'll run a few hundred through it before trying any mods. I'll be shooting off of a rest over a chronograph for 5 each of the test loads (Unique, 2400, AA9, Trail Boss). H110 and others will come later, if at all, depending on accuracy results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	205157

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice! I want one.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Excellent! One of my favorite single actions is a Colt/ACP convertible, although certainly not as robust as yours, but that Uberti is one that will stay in my possession. Enjoy your range time, we look forward to the report to follow

Boolit Master

What happened to the rest of the barrel? LOL.

My first centerfire pistol was a .45 convertible Ruger Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel back in 1974. Really liked it, but was relieved of it by two legged varmints while going to college on GI bill, and the money went elsewhere.

Now, decades later, I'm enjoying .45 Colt in Uberti revolver and cowboy action shooting. I plan on carrying this revolver while deer hunting this fall in hopes of getting a close shot. I don't doubt the round, just my marksmanship.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice woods gun for up in the NM high country.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Banned

hard for me to come up with the money or justify another 44 mag but one just like that in 44mag was at the local gunshop and it took a lot of effort to keep me from selling something to buy it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    hard for me to come up with the money or justify another 44 mag but one just like that in 44mag was at the local gunshop and it took a lot of effort to keep me from selling something to buy it.
    Life is too short Lloyd. Buy the darned gun!!

I managed to get into a little trouble with the wife over the weekend when I came home with yet another 44 mag. A 629-3 this time with a unfluted cylinder and a trigger that brings tears of joy to your eyes when you fire her. The wife was upset for about 2 minutes when I brought up her second 22-250 she then understood that sometimes you just have to have that gun.

Go buy it Lloyd..

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Finnmike View Post
    The chamber throats are .452, as near as I can slug.
    You would want a .452" to slide into the throats from the front with finger pressure. If it can't do that, then there is some degree of downsizing happening..

Nice Ruger!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Nice lookin' piece. Wonder if the front sight is tall enough for heavy loads.

Banned

its long gone. It was actually there this spring. I already have a 4 inch 629 a 4 inch 29, 2- 4 5/8s super blackhawks, a clements custom 4 inch 44 spec. a 696 so I'm pretty flush with short barreled 44s
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Life is too short Lloyd. Buy the darned gun!!

I managed to get into a little trouble with the wife over the weekend when I came home with yet another 44 mag. A 629-3 this time with a unfluted cylinder and a trigger that brings tears of joy to your eyes when you fire her. The wife was upset for about 2 minutes when I brought up her second 22-250 she then understood that sometimes you just have to have that gun.

Go buy it Lloyd..

Banned
    You owe it to yourself to find yet another toy that fits your fancy.

Banned

problem anymore pal is to get a gun I about have to trade a gun. For me to just buy one it has to be something that REALLY trips my trigger. that and every new gun about comes with months of load development that I used to enjoy. But anymore its just work and id rather just shoot.

Banned
    Attachment 205228Attachment 205229Attachment 205230Attachment 205231

I managed 4) 44 magnums

A ruger super redhawk, a S&W 629-3 with unfluted cylinder, S&W 629-6, and a Desert Eagle with scope.

The most recent was the S&W 629-3 which I received a call on and bought it within 8 minutes of the phone call,

Banned
    45 LC?

Yup a S&W 25-5

I absolutely love 45 LC's but do appreciate a 5-6" barrel unless ported. There is just something about a good 45.

Banned

if were just counting ANY 44 mag add to my list a 5.5 inch accusport bisley, and old 3 screw 7.5 inch super and a 10 inch TC contender. Also a 44p marlin
    Attachment 205228Attachment 205229Attachment 205230Attachment 205231

I managed 4) 44 magnums

A ruger super redhawk, a S&W 629-3 with unfluted cylinder, S&W 629-6, and a Desert Eagle with scope.

The most recent was the S&W 629-3 which I received a call on and bought it within 8 minutes of the phone call,

45 LC?

Yup a S&W 25-5

I absolutely love 45 LC's but do appreciate a 5-6" barrel unless ported. There is just something about a good 45.
    What he said, I want at least a 5.5 barrel on my 45 colt with 250 grain bullets going out at 900 FPS or more, of course the bisley grip helps a bunch with recoil. But that's a nice packing gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice lookin' piece. Wonder if the front sight is tall enough for heavy loads.

Looks like it; I had to crank the rear sight down to the frame to get it sighted at 15 yards. Out of the box it shot 7" high and 3" Left at 15 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Range report: all 5 round groups fired at 15 yards over sand bags, all loads under Silver State 255 gr SWCL
    8.5 Unique - Ave 888 fps, 63 ES, 25 SD, 1.7" group
    9.0 Unique - Ave 945 fps, 18 ES, 8 SD 1.3" group
    9.5 Unique - Ave 1052 fps, 26 ES, 9 SD 1.3" group

16.5 2400 - Ave 1000 fps, 62 ES, 23 SD, 2.5" group unburned grains
    17.5 2400 - Ave 1112 fps, 51 ES, 20 SD, 1.8" group unburned grains
    18.8 2400 - Ave 1128 fps, 93 ES, 34 SD, 2.1" group unburned grains

7.0 Trail Boss - Ave 807 fps, 11 ES, 4 SD, 0.87 group!

17.0 AA9 - Ave 991 fps, 89 ES, 36 SD, 2.2" group sharp recoil
    18.0 AA9 - Ave 1135 fps,82 ES, 33 SD, 1.85" group, sharp recoil

Commercial WW Silvertips - Ave 846 fps, 11 ES, 5 SD, soft shooting, 2.5" group

Takeaways - the sight radius is very short for my old eyes, a diopter may be useful in the future. There is a fair bit of creep to deal with in the future. Best way to eject the brass is to rotate the cylinder just to the point where the rim is caught on the upper recoil shield, so when one applies pressure with the short ejector and completes the cylinder rotation, the round "pops" clear. Otherwise brass has to be picked out due to short ejection.
    A heavier crimp may be necessary for the 2400, but I suspect the barrel is too short for this powder
    The AA9 was unpleasant due to the sharpness of recoil
    Trail Boss was a pleasant surprise; more work needed
    Unique is still a great powder for the 45.
    I found some HS 6 to work with.
    More work to be done. Now to get a holster - I think Barranti's Longhorn Companion will be a great winter holster here in
    the PNW. https://shop.barrantileather.com/pro...horn-companion

Boolit Master
    I shoot a bunch of different calibers. The 45 colt is in my opinion the finest cartridge ever invented. I live casting and loading that round just as much as shooting it. I have 4 platforms for that cartridge and I am always looking out for number 5. Long Live the 45 Colt!!!!!

And a very nice and accurate piece by the way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I shoot a bunch of different calibers. The 45 colt is in my opinion the finest cartridge ever invented. I live casting and loading that round just as much as shooting it. I have 4 platforms for that cartridge and I am always looking out for number 5. Long Live the 45 Colt!!!!!

And a very nice and accurate piece by the way.
    Like I think I've mentioned before I also love the 45LC. Too me its special because I watched my dad put one together when I was a young kid and I got to shoot it when I was older. Maybe not in the 44 mag power league to me its a heavy hitter with the ability to be a peaceful target shooter or to put down a large animal. It was a big hand gun for many years before other calibers came out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast