WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Odd 30 carbine brass

Odd 30 carbine brass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	205148I was depriming about. 3k of 30 carbine brass today and came across TWO LC 52 dated brass that was Berdaned primed.. Has anyone else seen this before?

Yes, I have! I've got several 50 rd. boxes of loaded rounds. It was made in China. The speculations and theories about why they used a copy of our headstamp are many and varied. I've shot some of it, and it seems to be o.k. ammo.

Boolit Master

We can thank China for introducing corrosive priming to a system that never, ever had it before.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Communist China; or Taiwan?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub

Cool .30 carb

Communist China; red china

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Red China did them for use in captured M1 Carbines during the Korean War. They sent captured carbines several places with the counterfeit ammunition.

Boolit Master

Oh that stuff pisses me off! I have several thousand LC 30 carbines and have found 4 or 5 when my decapping pin breaks! BTW, my girls 10 and 14 love to shoot the Inland 30 carbine I have. When I drag it out, I give each one 100 rounds to start and 4 or 5 swingers to shoot at. I would hate to be on the other end when they have that little rifle in their hands. I shoot 10.8 grains of H110 Data powder with a hard cast 112 grain bullet. Never fouls the gas piston with melted lead, would not push them harder though.

I use the lee 309-113 round flat nose I powder coat gas check and size to 309, I use 12 grn of 2400 and I'm hitting 3inch spinners ever shot, my dillon really cranks them out!!

Boolit Master
    Found a few like this at our local range and as they were unfired. Good thing there were some fired cases there as well. All berdan primed with a reddish or pinkish sealer on the primer and stamped LC 52. There are now residing where the sun nor living man will ever see them. Think big deep hole. Frank

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez our Chicom buddies just copied captured Korean War era .30 Carbine ammo,
    modified to use their CORROSIVE 4.5mm Berdan small rifle primer and
    (in typical Asian fashion) copied the LC 52 headstamp too just for the hell of it.

Shootin' .30 US Carbines with Corrosive Ammo is REALLY BAD.
    Unlikely the gas tappet part of action can be cleaned properly. So it rusts up and freezes.

Watchout for Post WW II French made corrosive Berdan primed .30 Carbine ammo
    that was imported in large quantities decades ago.

Nice Guys - not thinking or caring about the U.S.&A. gun nut
    who always ends up with all this stuff when all the wars are over......
    Last edited by GONRA; 12-14-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a few of the French berdan corrosive primed .30 M1 ball ammo left. I bought about 300 rounds of it at a gun show around 1964 and didn't know it was berdan stuff until I fired a few of them. But I assumed they were corrosive and cleaned both cases and rifle with hot soapy water. Head stamp is marked 7.62 VE BD 2+62. Box is marked as follows:

50 Cartouches 08 7.62 mm K
    Mle 1950 pour Carabine
    Etuis : LAITON : Mle 1950 : 2 - AVE - 62
    AMORCES : Mle 1950 : 12 - ATS - 62
    BALLES : O. Mle 1950 : 2 - AVE -62
    POUDRE : GB - SP (0,3) : 6 - A - 61
    CHARGE 0.88g
    LOT - 145 - AVE - 62

I do not remember whether it shot to the same point of aim or not but I do not remember any mal-functions with it. james

Boolit Master
    I ended up with several thousand rounds of the chinese stuff a few years ago. It shot alright, but did require a lot of extra care in cleaning, and of course, the brass was worthless for reloading. At the price I paid, it was a fair deal, but I doubt I'd buy it again unless it was exceptionally cheap.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I own an M1 carbine gas tappet wrench so I just wouldn't give a **** since I clean that part of the weapon as normal procedure anyway,

BUT FWIW Those tappets don't seem to rust anyway...
    Last edited by AllanD; 01-11-2018 at 02:26 AM.