Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: help from someone with a lathe

help from someone with a lathe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37-290TB.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	205144 I am hoping someone with a lathe could turn out this boolit so I could see if it will work when I get my new gun soon. if it was steel or aluminum one would suffice, if made of lead ( would be better) maybe two incase one gets damaged. I hope someone who does this as a hobby would like to do this as an experiment, if so pleae pm me. the drawing says .368 but would probably need to be .366 to allow for tolerance differences. thank you-Travis PS. I could email a better picture ( I mean my dad probably could,lol, or fax one to you) I just couldn't find the file he made, but I have a perfectly clear blueprint right next to me. lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

the main things are length width (.366), crimp groove, and the ogive, so other than those things it could just be a straight piece without a grease groove or recessed gas check part. copper or plastic could also be used, I thought about wood, but it could swell or shrink

Banned
    need to learn to work with plaster and wax... you can hand make some bullet patterns for an experimental bullet out of paraffin wax if you are good with carving and then use that to make a one time use 2 or 3 cavity mold.. you can actually cast the wax into a rod close to the size and put it in an electric drill or a wood lathe chuck and turn them with simple tools. but what you do is just pack the plaster around the paraffin bullets which have the sprue made into the base. then you just let the plaster set up around the wax patterns, turn them upside down in an oven to melt them out of the mold, and then pour them with lead.. no machining is needed.. the wax pattern and plaster method also works for a lot of other things that you only need one or two of... you do want to bake the plaster mold at least 400*F-500*F to get it really dry after it has already air dried for a day or two. then you bring it in the oven up to 200*F for 30min then up to 400*F-500*F so there is no residual moisture in it.. you also want to pour the lead in it while it is still hot..

that's a very good Idea, never thought of it, what do they call that, something relief molding? but unfortunately I have tremors, so I don't think that would turn out too well, just imagine if a 6 year oold did it and those would be my results! my hope is to find someone who does lathe stuff as a hobby, and would do it for the fun of it, I don't have much funds so I cant pay, except maybe shipping, which on a boolit or two wouldn't be too bad. thanks for the idea though!-Travis

if you can see it well enough, is that type of boolit better than a bore- rider like accurates 37-286c for accuracy at 2100-2200fps?

nevermind, i'll just buy a single cav aluminum mold and see if it works when the time comes.

Veral Smith can do it!

do you think he would charge much? after looking at some of the production hunting boolits, especially the blunt ones, I am pretty sure it is gonna work

what do you guys think about the design? im trying right now to get a better drawing to transfer to here so you can see better. it is 1.080 long, .368 dia, .22in meplat R1.5 ogive, gas check, and crimp groove set in the right place for the somewhat short 9.3X62 neck. weight is 286 +- 5grs

Rebel, there's a 9.3/.366 mould for sale in the S&S forum. It seems expensive until you realize it is a 4 cavity Ideal.
    It will still cost less than having your own design made by anyone. Just thinking out loud here. Good luck on your quest.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

i'll check it out, although my design work is done, except for the slight changes I might make when I can do a slug/ chamber cast, see 37-280TB and 37-286C at accurate-Travis Bright

Boolit Grand Master

Mountan Moulds just made me one like that if you PM me I can send you some 245 grain bullets to try, mine is two deeper grease grooves for shouting B/P.