MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Lead a dollar eighteen a pound?

Boolit Buddy

Lead a dollar eighteen a pound?

What the heck is going on? Is this the long term impact of Doe Run?

Boolit Master

Wish it would it drop. The scrap yard lady is turning me into her cash cow and making the wife mad.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Typically price increase given steady state of supply indicates increase in demand. Economic growth = increase in demand. Doe run closed when? That would be in 2013 and in the 4 years between then and now we have seen spot price of lead as low as 70 cents at least and now it is up a bit. Local scrap yards have been fairly consistent in their prices but with spot over a buck they may bump that up a bit.

Expect it will drop sometime mid winter since economic activity tends to go down then, or in the spring when more scrap lead comes in than it does once it gets colder.

If your wife isn't at least annoyed with you then you are probably short of reloading supplies, time to take an inventory
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-03-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the little North Korean nutcase is building himself a new lead shielded underground palace to spend eternity in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

If your wife isn't at least annoyed with you then you are probably short of reloading supplies, time to take an inventory
    My wife is almost always annoyed with me, but it usually has very little to do with reloading or supplies.

It's just what I do.

Banned

it started about 5 months ago I could see the price spiking then dropping then spiking again.
    initially it looked like a big buy was on, but at the wrong time of year for the ammunition makers to be putting in their orders.
    so someone else was making big enough buys every week or two driving the price up.

now that the orders are coming in from rem/win/fed they have buoyed up on top of the price spike that was struggling to come back down.
    in other words look for another ammo price increase in April.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm win lee View Post
    What the heck is going on? Is this the long term impact of Doe Run?
    Here in NE KS I am still buying soft lead scrap at .70 per pound as the usual price for the last year or so. This is the "real world" price, not something on the national market index. No sense creating a panic where there is not one. Dusty

Here in West Central Florida, The 2 scrap yards I use to deal with will no longer sell...They have a standing order for a 1000 pounds a month, no matter what grade. Tells me the fishing weight business is back booming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    My wife is almost always annoyed with me, but it usually has very little to do with reloading or supplies.

It's just what I do.
    Well a man has to go with his strengths if he is going to be successful in his endeavors
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    That's still only $.02 to .$03 per bullet on average. However it does make me happy I was able to accumulate a decent stockpile over the spring and early summer.

In Remembrance

In a recent local on line auction a 5 lb. ingot of soft plumber lead went for $9.95 + 10% commision + .06% sales tax which puts that up around $2 a lb.!Robert

Boolit Master
    I went & spent as much as I could afford this past 6 months buying lead of all sorts at .78- 1.00 per pound locally. I have not bought any for about a month even though the fella had more to sell. I may go there in the next day or so to see if he has raised his prices.

I do know that I have seen an increase in the price of powder/primers for sale at a larger store where I have bought powder.
    (1 lb.ers) & primers(100cnt.)
    The increase has been observed when I visited in the last 2 months. Before that things were fairly stable with the prices. Since the first of this year anyway...

With this latest Vegas shooting event, I am concerned that things are going to go nuts with an upward trend again... That would be one heck of a bummer...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I've been stocking up on lead and primers for a few years now.

My wife laughed when they reported that 1,600 rounds was a lot of ammo for that psycho in Las Vegas.

I almost take that much to the range with me

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    [QUOTE=PBaholic;4170427]I've been stocking up on lead and primers for a few years now.

My wife laughed when they reported that 1,600 rounds was a lot of ammo for that psycho in Las Vegas.

I usually keep at least 2K of .45 AP loaded at any given time and always try and keep at least 5k or more .22 LR.
    I wonder what they would think of most of us who keep at least 20k primers and 20 or more pounds of powder?

Buying lead for a bit over than a $1 a pound is still cheaper than RotoMetals.

With wheel weights rapidly becoming a thing of the past, it's only going up from here. In a decade or two commercial jacketed bullets and plated bullets will level out with the cost of a home cast bullet. I figure somewhere around the end of my useful lifespan casting will be akin to swaging and paper patching. Something enthusiasts do because they enjoy it. The economy of it all will be completely gone.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Still can't buy the variety I can cast. I don't know where I would buy a 290 grain .358 HP for my 358 Winchester.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Wish it would it drop. The scrap yard lady is turning me into her cash cow and making the wife mad.
    Great mid-day laugh. Needed that. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it started about 5 months ago I could see the price spiking then dropping then spiking again.
    initially it looked like a big buy was on, but at the wrong time of year for the ammunition makers to be putting in their orders.
    so someone else was making big enough buys every week or two driving the price up.

now that the orders are coming in from rem/win/fed they have buoyed up on top of the price spike that was struggling to come back down.
    in other words look for another ammo price increase in April.
    I'm sorry, I'll try not to order in such large quantity's.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

it has been selling for a buck a pound here on CB for as long as i have been a member....

what did you expect to pay for it?

besides, the doe run plant that closed was a primary ore smelter that was hit with EPA fines

they still have a recycling plant just up the road and a county over...

Boolit Master
    I am truly blessed. I am paying $.80 per pound at the local scrap yard, and they seem to think they should throw solder in the lead bin.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member