Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Windex formula

Boolit Master

Windex formula

I want to make up some Windex substitute with vinegar, alcohol, and water. I don't know the proportions to use. Windex is just too expensive. Does anyone have the info?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

I have used 50/50 vinegar and water.

Use old newspaper to clean windows with it. Makes a streak free sparkle

Boolit Master
    It may have been the cleaner I was using, but I used newspaper to clean the inside of my truck windows a couple of years ago and the ink came off and stained the vinyl around the windows. Very difficult to remove. Maybe newer soy-based ink was the cause?

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Windex formula that contains vinegar and cut it at least 50%. For my purposes works better than full strength.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Use white vinegar cut with water 50/50. That's what the war department (Wife) has used forever. If you are a smoker add a few drops of Dawn dish soap. It works better than anything you can buy at the store!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Windex comes 2 different ways. It's harder to find the one with vinegar
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    It may have been the cleaner I was using, but I used newspaper to clean the inside of my truck windows a couple of years ago and the ink came off and stained the vinyl around the windows. Very difficult to remove. Maybe newer soy-based ink was the cause?
    probably was, the ink comes off with any cleaner other than vinegar

Boolit Master
    Here is what I make up in a 1 gallon jug:
    16 ounces rubbing alcohol
    1/4 sudsy ammonia
    1 tsp of liquid dish washing detergent
    Fill the jug with water

Will sometimes add a couple of drops of blue or green food coloring to make the wife happy.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Here you go...

Johnson started publishing ingredients for all of its products, including Windex. The S.C. Johnson website lists Windex's ingredients as water, 2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, lauramine oxide, ammonium hydroxide, fragrance, and Liquitint sky blue dye.

Tap water with a drop or two of dish detergent as a surfactant.
    Wipe over the window using a window scrubber. Wait a minute or so. Wipe off using a live rubber squeegee. After a few minutes practice you'll be able to do the entire house faster than the time it takes to gather the tools and put them away.
    '

Banned

I just buy a gallon of crl consentrated glass cleaner. Add water and its ready to go and a heck of a lot cheaper and a gallon lasts A LONG TIME.

I have been using the cheap blue washer for cars mixed 50/50 with white vinegar . all i use it on are the car windows and it works good.

Boolit Grand Master

Gallon of Totally Awesome from Dollar General. It makes a ton of window washing solution, put an ounce in your cars reservoir to really cut grime and bugs, removes grease from hands and clothes, does a ton of stuff and a gallon will go a long way as for windows I think the ratio is 100:1/ water:totally awesome.

Of course this wasn't the question.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Hey thanks guys, I will get mixing today, I use windex for everything, even on small spots on the carpet Oh Gee don't tell the misses she will have a fit.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.