WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Fans?

Boolit Master

Spyderco Fans?

I'm unfamiliar with the brand really. I've seen them around and would like to try out one which is good for gutting, skinning, and quartering deer and antelope size critters.

If there is a difference that can be seen, I would pay the difference in price for something better.

My friend had one that I think is now discontinued. I think it was a C48 model.

I would like it to be non serrated so I could sharpen it in my usual method. About a four inch blade. Something that can be sharpened and holds an edge.

I'm retiring my old buck 110. For some reason that sucker seems like it weighs more and more each year.

What is your advice for a spyderco knife?
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    I’ve been a fan for over 25 years. But I have migrated towards others with more favor in the past few years.

I not only prefer opening knives with one hand, but prefer closing them that way as well. The classic Spyderco design requires two hands unless you get uncomfortable and maneuver the blade against your leg or an object.

Fortunately, other blade makers have licensed their designs to Spyderco, so your choices are endless.

Unfortunately, there are now tons of Spydercos made in China and Taiwan now. So you must do your homework if you want a USA blade.

The Tenacious model is one that fits your bill, but I don’t know if any are made in the USA or not.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

I'm certainly not one. I don't have anything good to say about them. I'm a fan of other brands, specifically Benchmade. I know many don't like this brand. But I trust my fingers to the Axis lock.

In regards to sharpening methods. This is going to be steel dependent. You will need diamond stones for most of the new steels. They really make it easy to sharpen the blades. You can sharpen them w/ regular stones but it takes a long time to do so.

Don't get hung up on brand. My preference starts w/ the lock which is why I usually end up at Benchmade. After that it's the other features. If it won't allow tip up carry I immediately won't buy it. There are a ridiculous amount of steels on the market. I've found a lot of them to be over hyped, N680 is one of them. So do some research on the steel before purchasing.

Boolit Master

I have a Spyderco Endura Clipit. I have had this one for years. Had another one that the clip broke off. I sent it back and they sent me this new one. It is a 50/50 plain/serrated. I would have preferred the plain edge, but since they sent it free I didn't complain. This one is made in Seki City Japan and it is VG 10 stainless. I like it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I have a Spyderco Endura Clipit. I have had this one for years. Had another one that the clip broke off. I sent it back and they sent me this new one. It is a 50/50 plain/serrated. I would have preferred the plain edge, but since they sent it free I didn't complain. This one is made in Seki City Japan and it is VG 10 stainless. I like it.

I bought one of those back in the mid 90's and carried it on and off duty for close to 20 years daily. It still looks new and is sharp as heck. Loved the 50/50 blade. Saved a few lives with it too.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

My son has carried one for years and really likes out. I prefer to close with one hand. Liner lock or frame lock for me.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite knives I've ever had was a Spyderco that I bought about 20 years ago. I carried it for about five years when I lost it. Now I've got a Benchmade but I still miss my Spyderco.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I have a few Kershaw knives and a Cold Steel fixed blade , but in my pocket right now is a thin stainless steel Barlow I bought about twenty years ago when I went fishing in Carabelle Florida and forgot my Buck.
    I just couldn't warm up to the Spyderco designs.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have two of them myself, I kinda like them. My two favorite pocket knives are the spyderco delica and benchmade mini griptilian. I really don't like the thumb studs on most knives so narrows things down significantly.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    I bought one of those back in the mid 90's and carried it on and off duty for close to 20 years daily. It still looks new and is sharp as heck. Loved the 50/50 blade. Saved a few lives with it too.
    That's when I bought mine. 99 actually in Puerto Rico at the NEX. The clip broke and Spyderco said they didn't make the model I had anymore and were sending a free knife to me. Well gee....What am I gonna do? I took it and have used it for EVERYTHING.

Boolit Grand Master

Big fan although I always bought the part serrated blade. The Cold Steel I have now is part serrated and I highly recommend that type of blade.
    The Spyderco's I bought, 3 of them with one red handle and 2 black were the Delica model. About as perfect a size for pocket carry as you can get imho.

The 4th was an Assist with the yellow handle I bought from someone here several years ago. More important than the brand of knife you buy is how it fits your hand, if it the right tool for the job you expect it to do and the type of steel the blade is made from. ]

Here is a great read on knife steel. http://knifeinformer.com/discovering...t-knife-steel/
    Don't get too hung up on the best steel because all can do a job but buy the best you can afford. My current has vg-10 which works fantastic for me and I don't need any better as it holds a good edge and is reasonably easy to sharpen. Remember, the higher end steel you get the longer the edge lasts but the harder it is to sharpen as a general rule. I found VG-10 the best balance for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I have a Spyderco fully serrated...I thought it was a "Spyderco Endura Clipit", and a google image search confirmed it.
    I really like it, I used at as a daily carry knife for several years, back in the 90s. When it got dull, I sent it in (to spyderco) for free sharpening, but cost $5 return shipping. Since I got it back, I only carry it occasionally...still very sharp. As JonP said, it's about the perfect carry size for a folder. Also it opens and closes easy with one hand. IIRC, it was about $30 new.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I've been carrying the same Spydeco for over 25 years. It is a very early issue and I don't think they even had model names back then. The edges of the handle are not beveled like they are on the current models and the clip is not reversible. The entire knife is stainless steel. Mine is made with AUS 6 steel and has held up remarkably well. The current model that is close in design to mine is the Delica4.

The new models use far better steel (VG-10), reversible clips and are a bit more refined. I recently purchased one of the new all stainless Delica4 models and had it engraved for a friend. When looking it over I was very tempted to buy a second one for myself but my 25+ year old one is still going strong.

Someone said that you need two hands to close a Spyderco; that isn't true. I always open and close mine with one hand. You place your index finger just below the blade and unlock the blade with your thumb. You then release the lock, rotate the knife in your hand to get your fingers out of the way and use your thumb to push the blade shut. Once you do it a couple of times you don't even think about it.

I'm very happy with my old Spyderco and consider it to be one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Boolit Master
    I used to be a first responder for oil spills and had a Spyderco Mariner which made short work of rope for deploying oil spill booms. Still have that one and while it's a little worse for wear still does it's job. And still have another one that has not even been used. These knives are over 25 years and most likely made in the U.S.A.. Within the last few years have become hooked on Benchmade knives and are my favorite now. And still have a few Buck and Gerber knives. Frank

Boolit Master

I have been carrying my Endura Clipit since this thread started. They are good knives.

I've had a few of them. For the price, they are a value. All three have been pocket size, folders. The first one, I broke about 1/4" off the tip (my fault). I still used it until it was stolen. I lost another. The Spyderco I currently have (don't know which model) is a folder with a stainless 3" blade. It's a drop point and partially serrated. Perfect for me.

I'm definitely no "knife snob". I buy/use knives that are affordable so if/when I lose or break them, I don't feel too bad. Currently, I carry either the Spyderco I mentioned or a Gerber. I'd never spend hundreds on a knife. That's just me.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been a fan of Spyderco since 1995. Im trained as a knifemaker, so I would always buy the Endura and regrind the blade as I saw fit (flat ground razor edge with decorative file work on the backstrap). I've owned about 6 of them over the years. Recently though, in a large part due to becoming a family man, I had to give up on them and I carried several cheaper knives. However, my brother made a gift of a less expensive Spyderco made in China rather than Japan called the "Spyderco Tenacious". I was impressed with the quality of the knife, and it was already flat ground so I didn't need to fix that. Since then, I have skinned about 10 deer with it, and I have found it to be the perfect blade shape. In fact, I'm thinking of duplicating the exact blade shape and turning it into a fixed blade knife because the folder is very difficult to thouroughly clean after use.
    That said, I'm not too concerned about it. After a lifetime of forging, making, modifying, and testing different knives, the Spyderco Tenacious is the ultimate blade IMHO for the following reasons:
    It's comfortable in the pocket, and stays put.
    The clip is well attached and has not broken off or become very loose in spite of years of getting normal carry abuse from a guy my size.
    The blade is tight, and has needed almost no adjustment.
    The steel is very hard, sharpens easily with normal India/Arkansas/Spyderco ceramic stones, and holds an edge very well, easily skinning two deer before needing a dust up.
    The shape of the tip is PERFECT for popping that tendon in the knees of the deer. Just bend the knee, slash front and sides, then push the tip in the joint and voila. Best shaped tip for this I've ever seen.
    The curve of the spine is perfect for splitting the deer hide between the fingers. Unzips those babies lickety split.
    The side grind is correct for cleaving deep into meat and is designed to handle the material even after it's past the edge, which the Endura sucked at with its hollow grind. It was great for seatbelts and cuts 1/2" deep, but whisking through 4" of meat and hide wasn't really in it's programming.
    Finally, the knife can be used for extended periods without getting a blister or a cramp, and does not slip in the hand when your hands are covered with blood. Its very easy to flick open, and holds tight when it snaps open thanks to a very well designed liner lock.

I own a Spyderco K05SRD paring knife as well (although I ground off the janky serrations) and it's a mainstay in my kitchen as well for cutting apples or paring the fat off precut steaks etc etc etc.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I like them and carried one for years. I used it for many things on two continents including as a hammer some times. They are tough as nails.

Boolit Master

I seldom paid more than 20-30 bucks for a pocket knife. I almost said never, but about a year ago I spent 85 bucks for this one;

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004VG77...ding=UTF8&th=1

It has the ZPD 189 steel, which is very hard, holds an edge very well. Here's a good reference to blade steels with a write up on how they actually work in use.;

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/knife-blade-steels/

The ZDP steel IS hard to sharpen. OR I should say it WOULD be difficult if I didn't have a wicked edge diamond sharpener.

Back to the Spyderco dragonfly, it's perfect for pocket carry for EDC use,(Every Day Carry). It holds it's edge very well, it's full length blade no saw tooth ****. I carried it for EDC for the last 12 months. Until my wonderful son bought me a benchmade for fathers day.

A Mel Pardue design, marked 527 on the blade. It was a special run that the buyer could have laser etched with a message, my boy simply said "THANKS DAD"! He credits me for teaching hi the way to be a man, to what he's become today;

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/stor...ver-plain.html

This knife is now my EDC. It's a bit larger than the Spyderco, but is still easily carried in my right front pocket. I tried it clipped to the top of that pocket, but I kept running into it with my hands. It came shaving sharp, which surprised me, most knife companies KINDA SHARPEN their knives. So far it holds an edge like any other stainless 440C blade. I like the AXIS lock, it seems to be real secure. One thing I DON'T like is then half serrated blade. I suppose if I have to cut some rope, it might come in handy. Maybe if Salty Sam has sweet Sue tied to the railroad tracks I can cut her loose. Just call me Jones.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast