RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS dies for crimping 44mag

RCBS dies for crimping 44mag

Can’t seem to get an adequate heavy crimp with these dies for med to heavy mag loads; experiencing bullets backing out post recoil. Any suggestions or Rex’s for different die?
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Redding profile crimp works for me. It seems to apply a taper crimp along with a roll crimp
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just bought a Lee factory crimp die. Gives a more even look than the rcbs roll crimp and twice the slip force from what I've researched on line.

Boolit Grand Master
    i use a Hornady fl size die with the stem out
    use to crimp only
    I used to use the Lee but some of my
    loads were backing out so I switched
    and have had no problems
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    RCBS dies are set up so one can Neck Down Crimp with the right crimp groove. What bullets are you using.
    If you can't get a good enough crimp with RCBS dies then you are doing something wrong unless the bullet has an extremely shallow crimp groove.

I’ve used RCBS, Hornady and Lee's carbide crimp dies. Overall, the Lee’s have given the best results. I now use them exclusively on all my hand gun and non-bolt action rifles. They give a uniform repeatable crimp from very light to very heavy. Additionally, they “true” the completed cartridge and assist in removing case bulge that I seem to get loading lead.

As an added bonus, the Lee pistol carbide crimp dies in 380 Auto, 40 S&W, 41AE, 45 GAP, 45 Win Mag and 45ACP can be used in conjunction with the Lee Bulge Buster. They’re very versatile and inexpensive when compared to the competition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    I’ve used RCBS, Hornady and Lee's carbide crimp dies. Overall, the Lee’s have given the best results. I now use them exclusively on all my hand gun and non-bolt action rifles. ..

If you have an orphan RCBS, Hornady, or even a Lee (NOT the FCD) 44 seat/crimp die that you are not using, and want to sell off, please PM me.
    I am looking for one.

Boolit Grand Master

What bullets? Are you seating and crimping in the same step? I've used Lee dies (not FCD for handguns) for a plain old roll crimp which held bullets for my heavy .44 Mag loads. (the FCD I used gave inferior crimps compared to the Lee seat/crimp die, in my experience). I also used a Redding Profile crimp on my 44 Mags. and 357 Mags with very good results and recently started using a Lee collet crimp die for my 44 Magnum.

Keeping bullets in place can be more than just a crimp as neck tension, bullet composition, brass characteristics, and often too much crimp. A roll crimp needs someplace for the formed metal to go so a good cannalure or groove is necessary. Even with max loads in my .44 Magnums with jacketed bullets the Lee roll crimp held, done in a separate step, in my Ruger SBH, S&W 629, and Dan Wesson...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-04-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

You should be able to apply a proper crimp with RCBS dies, they have a long track record of working .
    More and detailed information on the bullet/boolit and die adjustment you are using would help solve the problem.
    In solving a problems, the details do matter.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Have had no trouble crimping 44Mag with RCBS dies. Cast and jacketed projectiles. For single and double action revolvers, Desert Eagle and a couple of rifles. Would suggest than you closely follow the instructions for setting crimp.

I have used RCBS, Lyman and Lee die sets. I have never had a problem holding my HOT loads in either rifle or revolver. I strongly believe that the correct set-up is a lot of the overall operation.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    Perhaps your expander plug is too great in diameter, thereby reducing neck tension?
    In my experience,if the .44 mag case has proper neck tension, very little crimp,if any is needed.
    I shoot a 26 ounce Smith model 329PD .44 mag a lot, and I used to get boolit jump no matter how much crimp I applied to the case.
    Once I decreased the diameter of my expander die, my boolit jumping problems went away.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Lee 240 gr SWC see pic

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Perhaps your expander plug is too great in diameter, thereby reducing neck tension?
    In my experience,if the .44 mag case has proper neck tension, very little crimp,if any is needed.
    I shoot a 26 ounce Smith model 329PD .44 mag a lot, and I used to get boolit jump no matter how much crimp I applied to the case.
    Once I decreased the diameter of my expander die, my boolit jumping problems went away.
    What Shuz said. Proper neck tension is required. The crimp cannot do it all in heavy recoiling firearms. Try bullets not sized too much. I use a .431 sizing die for .44 mag. This is often the problem more than an expanding plug too large. You can also decrease the diameter of the expanding plug by spinning it in a drill and applying some find sand paper. Good way to polish it too.

I'm A Honcho!
    Lee collet crimp die. I have every die mentioned above and none deliver a more consistent crimp. Even with brass that’s not the same length(except Hornady)
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I’m wondering if it is some of the Remington brass that isn’t sizing to hold good neck tension. I’m seating to the crimp groove on boolits shown above. No extreme case belling here.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had any problem with the crimp that I get using RCBS dies. Like others have said, they have a long track record of working well. I wonder if you have collected some dirt, lead or bullet lube in the die. You might try cleaning it before you replace it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Can’t seem to get an adequate heavy crimp with these dies for med to heavy mag loads; experiencing bullets backing out post recoil. Any suggestions or Rex’s for different die?
    Mark, Did you get to resolve the crimp issue? Just curious. Lots of good suggestions above. Wonder what worked.

Mike

I use the Lee crimp die... The directions say to put a boolit in and turn 2 1/2 turns back for "heavy crimp"...
    What I like is not turn it back and it makes a little pop when it crimps into the grove, so I just lightly pop it in (no need to CRANK it in) and it does a nice job.

I did this on my last set and the crimp turned out nice.
    Attachment 207127

The other thing I found was to make sure to trim you cases to the EXACT same size. That way the bullet is seated to exactly the same depth and the crimp goes exactly the same way into the grove every time.
    The case trimming sucks, but it saves a lot of grief later.

I end up having bags of cases for each caliber:
    1) Shot
    2) Clean
    3) De-primed/resized
    4) Resized and Trimmed
    5) Primed

I do all this in it's own step so it saves time later. So, when I go to load some boolits, I take the bag of "Primed" brass that is clean, resized and trimmed. Or if I am out of that, the resized and trimmed bag is good. Otherwise, I get to work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast