RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: NOE 316299 alternative

NOE 316299 alternative

Hi all!

Looking to get some info on iron molds to replace my well worn noe 316299, any ideas? Some designs from accurate are interesting because this guy works with iron. Does someone want to share their experiences on 0.316"/200gr molds.

The intended rifles are mosin-nagants and enfields, i use COWW+2% tin alloy.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    Hi all!

Looking to get some info on iron molds to replace my well worn noe 316299, any ideas? Some designs from accurate are interesting because this guy works with iron. Does someone want to share their experiences on 0.316"/200gr molds.

The intended rifles are mosin-nagants and enfields, i use COWW+2% tin alloy.

Thank you
    I was in on the very first group buy for the noe 316299. My mould is also starting to show its age. I had been using the Lyman 314299 to feed my various 303s and mosin. Dropping 5 from the noe sure speeded things up but the most I ever got out of the noe was just shy of .316. My 15 year old Lyman 314299 actually drops at a fraction OVER .316.
    I doubt the newer production Lyman's will drop this large but it may be worth asking if anyone has a new one and what diameter they drop at.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

This is the reason why i bought the noe, the newest lyman molds are somewhat a hit and miss...

Boolit Mold
    I have a newer Lyman 314299 and it drops right at. 314 with Lyman #2 pouring at 690 degrees. By the way, I get excellent accuracy with this bullet out of my mosin.

Boolit Master
    I have a new Lyman 314299 and it drops 0.315+ and I have beagled it to 0.3175". But, Tom makes a 314299 and he will make it come out at the size you specify.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Does Tom cut iron molds? If no, go to Mountianmolds.com and plug in the dimensions. Dan will cut you an iron mold.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Does Tom cut iron molds? If no, go to Mountianmolds.com and plug in the dimensions. Dan will cut you an iron mold.
    Tom at Accurate. Sorry, I should have said that. Thought I did.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com
    USMC 6638

Thank you guys! I will try a Lyman 314299 first, and then look elsewhere if needed.

This is the reason why i bought the noe, the newest lyman molds are somewhat a hit and miss...
    True, my Lyman 314299 drops at .311. Which is okay for my M1 and 03's but had to buy the Noe 316299 for my .303 British Enfield. Just saying...

Boolit Master
    You can always Lap out a Lyman 314299 to .316 using a Cherry made out of Zinc cast in the same mold.
    Steel will take a little longer, but I do it with aluminum molds all the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom makes excellent molds..but no round or spire points noses..any pictures of a "worn out" mold from NOE ? can't imagine that..

It's possible... Mine needs some refurbishing or tuning to tighten the sprue plate at the front part of the mold. When the sprue plate is closed, i can see light between the sprue plate and the mold itself, thus giving me bullets with some finnings at the base, rendering the mold unusable.

Boolit Buddy
    My NOE 316299 is getting a little tired lost count of the bullets it has cast probably 5000+ a year for the last 6 years still casts nice round boolits, one of
    the alignment pins works loose and needs pressing back in as it jambs the mold shut, I can't complain it has more than payed for it's self,
    Will replace it with one of Toms steel molds casting at 318" if he will make it that size, Down here there a hundreds of people still shooting Le Enfields
    some of them with groove diameters up to .317" and shot out throats cast boolits is the only way to keep them shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    It's possible... Mine needs some refurbishing or tuning to tighten the sprue plate at the front part of the mold. When the sprue plate is closed, i can see light between the sprue plate and the mold itself, thus giving me bullets with some finnings at the base, rendering the mold unusable.
    A comment and a question..

If you use a hot plate to preheat the mold and you put it spruce plate down..you can warp the plate...

If the plate is flat and the front is loose as you state...you can still and tap the front of the mold where the shop pin is and insert a screw with a head so you can adjust the tension on the front of the plate..

If you go to the NOE web site you will see that the new molds have such a srew...others have put screws in the old style molds.