Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my first press...

Boolit Buddy
    Good starting press . I would shy away from a Lee kit . Get a friend to help you out with the other things such as scales , powder measures Etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
    Well, I think I'll at least give it a try. And it sounds like the Lee Classic is a solid choice.

I could get the Lee kit, 45acp and 9mm dies, shell holders for both, and maybe a bullet puller

Then brass, powder, primers, and bullets

That would get me started?
    You will want a powder measure if you will be loading pistol rounds. Weighing every charge is tedious and unnecessary. If you are short of funds, you can make a scoop out of a spent casing (add a handle) and it will be good enough for non match ammo that is not loaded to maximum. Lee makes a set of "dippers"...or at least they used to. but easy enough to make your own.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I started with the Lee kit. Start up is steep as well as the learning curve. Great advice from everyone. You may spend more on materials for reloading in the begining, but as your source out supplies the cost will drop. Like picking brass from the range and finding reasonable prices on powder and primers. Start casting and you will save even more. Finding lead sources. In the begining I saved about 50 percent on by reloading but wasted money on powder experimentation. I started shooting twice as much though. Then i started casting and shooting even more. Now that i have sourced good prices i shoot alot and still save money and creat more accurate ammo than i could buy in bulk. Side note, none of my guns liked the cheap 9mm blazer ammo. The equipment will eventual pay for its self. Mine paid for its self with in 6 months.

Getting learned and then gaining experience safely.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Are the Lee die sets a good choice?

You will get a lot of different opinions on that question. I use Lee dies for every caliber i load for except one. That one wasn't by choice. It just happened that a set of RCBS dies showed up at less money that I would have spent for Lee dies.
    I have three calibers of rifles that I use Lee dies to load that all perform at better than minute of angle.

Boolit Master
    Have a variety of reloading dies from several manufactures, the Lee dies work as well as the other manufactured loading dies. For pistol dies the Lee are had to beat due to their normally lower initial cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading!

Before you buy any equipment, get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. I will tell you not only "how to" but explain components and the equipment/tools needed to suit your reloading needs. When you ask about tools/equipment on a forum, you will get opinions, mostly what the poster uses and no teste/comparisons. Not necessarily bad, just be aware.

I used a Lee turret for over 18 years loading all my handgun and rifle ammo (from 9mm Luger to 30-06) with no problems. When I was first setting up the press it would index when I didn't want it to so I disabled the auto index feature and for the rest of the time I used it I hand indexed it. I had no need and did not want a "semi-progressive" so this worked quite well for me.

Get some manuals; A Lyman 50th and if you choose jacketed bullets, find a manual by the manufacturer of the bullet you are using. Find a load in your manual before you buy components, many fewer headaches that way and fewer questions on forums (for load data, pay very little attention (none) to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, or gun shop guru. Get your data from your published manuals and perhaps powder manufacturer web sites).

Go slow, double check everything, and mot important have fun.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

i started with a used lee pro 1000 that was given to me (i would not recommend this) go with a turret first... then i bought a new challenger single stage for my precision rifle, then i got a used loadmaster... much better press for the money than a pro 1000... someone gave me a 3 hole turret that i never used... then i found a used dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles for less than just the press cost alone... i couldn't pass that deal up...

i have sold the turret and loadmaster to a member here, and just run the 650 and single stage now...

i use all lee dies, even with the 650... never had a problem with them....

all my pistol ammo and .223 rifle get loaded on the 650 45, 9, 44 mag, 300 bo
    i load 308, 7mag, 300 win mag on the single

Boolit Master
    I've had no issues except for a 9mm set with wrong dies in the box.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I have and use the Lee auto index and it works fine. I also use lee dies with no trouble. You will find as others have said, that you will shoot alot more so you won't save as much as you think. But that said shooting more of what you load is a blast. You might want to update your profile to include where your from. Some one here might be close by and might offer to mentor. Good luck falling down this rabbit hole and have fun. Casting is next.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find a local store with a reloading display up, check out the various presses and handle them some. See what feels right to you. It will also show you the various options and how different presses do different operations. IE some use a priming set up on the top of the press that more open, some a little lever that's at an angle nd swings under the shell holder to insert the primer, Some are easily converted to a primer feed, some have the primer feed on it already and some are single feed. See what looks and feels right for you. Another issue with presses is the opening size and length. Loading longer bigger rounds this can be an issue. Weight can be an issue for a press that's moved or stored between uses.
    The same goes for scales, they are slightly different than each other. I find the ones that read in 10s easier to use (10 grn beam 1-10 grn beam and .1-1 grn beam) some older scales are 5 grn beams increments and while accurate they are harder to set up at times. Size of the scales matters on smaller benches. Mechanical or digital. Having used both I like the gem pro 250 digital for some things ( has a .02 grn readout) and mechanicals for others ( trickling powder is sometimes easier on a mechanical for one) again the opening is important for removing and replacing the pan. Left or right operation is also a thing to look at. My redding oil dampened the pan is on the right side the 304 rcbs is on the left side. Not a real big thing but depending on your bench may make life much easier.

Powder measures are also another that while all do the same are different in operation and the same. Most now are rotary operation turn the drum roughly 180* to charge or dump. Hopper capacity, drum size, base shape, mounting, and weight are all slightly different. Hopper capacity around 1 lb is fine and will load a lot of cartridges in pistol cartridges. Bases can be concave convex or flat. convex or concave wont throw as light a charge due to their shape. But they may help with stick of coarser powders accuracy. Adjustments can be a simple threaded stem and lock nut, Michrometer style head or click type setting. The threaded stem is mostly trial and error ( you can measure the thread protrusion and get close though) the michrometer heads will get you very close if you note the setting for a given powder. The click type can be very accurate XXclicks open is XXgrns of powder. You still want to check the settings with a good scales though. The Belding and mulls measures are good and a sliding hopper to the measure tube. Great for BP and stick powders. The Harrels and used culiver conversions are great measures but pricey. Ideally find a measure that's running in its mid range with what your doing this is usually the more accurate area of operation. A solid stand is also recommended.
    As to the small hand tools find what feels right some like smooth surfaces some knurled.

Boolit Bub
    OK, as a "Lee hater", meaning I actually use the equipment and tell people the truth, which makes the weak minded angry, I do not recommend ANY Lee press. Now I will be the first to admit that while I have owned EVERY Lee press EXCEPT the Cast Classic anything, and the CC presses might have improved lately, the pot metal presses are junk. Period. Reading the "Lee press sites" the Cast Classics run hot and cold, typical of Lee quality and the service is horrible.

On the other hand, the Lee dies are very good! I own nearly every make and brand of dies and Lee is often as good for most uses as any. Admittedly Dillon, Redding, Forster make the best dies, and cost it, but you are not likely to know the difference just yet. Lee and RCBS are fighting it out with about 20 of each brand, then Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, etc. Yes there are some cartridges where you buy RCBS instead of Lee, but by and large they are the best bang for the buck! Unlike Lee presses.

The Lee Liquid Alox is just Zebart and available on e-bay much cheaper, but it is a great cast bullet lube!

Not impressed with the Lee Perfect Powder measure, never saw one that worked with out some, and often extensive, work to make it function at all. Much like Lee presses

As far as reloading books are concerned, the Lee MODERN RELOADING 2nd ed is excellent! It better be, I rewrote it for Dick Lee (no credit of course, but then Dick Lee is one) and I consider it one of the Top Three Learning Reloading Books. The current Lyman manual (or either of the last two, I actually like the older one better), DBI METALLIC CARTRIDGE RELOADING 3rd (last) edition are the other two. See if you library has these, if not get them through the interlibrary loan system and read all three! THEN buy your equipment.

Keep in mind all other reloading companies have LIFETIME warranties (and the whiners claim you pay for that. Look at the MSRP of Lee and it is as much, or more, than the quality presses and dies, they just sell it MUCH lower than MSRP) while Lee has a so called two year warranty that they do NOT stand behind. They also know that if you use their pot metal presses that it won't last much longer than two years and then you will need to buy a new press.

The DISK powder measures are great! They throw light, but that keeps you out of trouble and you can always "custom" drill them out for the exact load you want.

The old round hand primer was great, until the pot metal handle broke, but then you could by a steel handle. The "new" square hand primers are not very good, do not recommend them.

What else do you want to know?

I think the Lee Classic Turret is a good way to start. My first press was the "value" version ('cos it cost too much to ship the cast one overseas!) and it's been a great press. I've since had 2 Pro 1000's (not recommended, too fiddly) and since sold one and keep the other for decapping. I use a Loadmaster for my .38's, works well, but I've gone back to the turret for .44-40 as the progressive just didn't like the thin cases. The turret hasn't given me any problems, and fitting the primer loader makes it a bit better.

And my Lee dies have worked fine.

The press I'm leaning towards is the Lee Classic Turret
    Lee turret is a very good choice. Likewise Classic Cast which I believe allows for longer cartridges in addition to the slick primer disposal which I love. Coffee can of primers goes to the scrap yard as brass and I purchase lead with the money.

Don't know if you are aware but the rod that auto indexes (rotates) the turret slips right out. Then you have a single stage press for those times you don't want to crank out the ammo. I use it that way for 8mm Mauser or 303 British. Or for forming 8mm brass from 30-06 brass where I am using a single sizing die repeatedly. For 38 or 45 most times I'm happy to leave the index rod in and just crank out rounds for paper punching or plinking. Does tend to favor using a "fluffy" or "bulky" powder when used this way especially for small loads. Makes it easier to spot a short/missed powder drop or a double charge if the powder takes up a lot of case space.

You will save money if you can avoid buying ever more equipment and stick with the basics (good luck with that, let me know if you succeed, first time for everything and all). But you will find you can customize the load to be exactly what you want. And more importantly exactly what that firearm wants for accurate smooth operation. May be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve for a custom load. Your 45 ACP is a good first reloading candidate, and a good first cast boolit candidate. Slow moving big heavy bullets are in my opinion easier to cast, and a bit more forgiving. I started with 38 revolver but saved the most per round on 45 colt where I cast myself.

IMO - Lee are not the "best" press in terms of quality but they are the best value of quality for the buck. Short of an apocalypse that leaves only one reloader alive there will never be agreement on what press is really the best. Obviously forged is stronger than cast and steel is stronger than iron. But I would say the Classic Cast Turret or Single Stage are comparable to the other main presses. I have made a 6 foot bench with shelves and loaded with reloading stuff and lead "jump" from the force applied to pushing up on my turret press handle. Press didn't break. Dog broke wind, think I startled her. The little Lee C presses are not at all the equal of the older heavy duty C presses you can pick up used for nearly the same price. If you decide your really "need" a press just for single operations like sizing cast bullets. See always one more gizmo to buy. Do avoid the Yellow presses, can't recall the name but a new company and really poor reputation for quality. Green, Orange or Red they are all good but I think for my $$$ the Lee Turret CC is best buy.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I started with a RCBS Partner single stage press kit. Within the next year bought a Lee Pro 1000.
    As far as I can figure I’ve saved $100s of dollars reloading ammo over the years.
    The problem is with all my cheap ammo, I shoot lots more. So shooting more ammo made me move into casting my own bollits! Cheaper cost per round yet again!
    So buy more molds to cast more bollits, to shoot more rounds!
    I will say I may have saved a little money along the way, but also I’ve started a couple of great hobbies, I really enjoy!

Lee Classic Cast Turret is a great starter choice for those new to reloading. I used to recommend a single station so they could learn how dies work before dealing with all kinds of mechanical rigamarole.
    However, after messing with the LCCT I have found removing the auto index rod until they were comfortable seems to be just as effective. Essentially making it a turreted single station. Then when they seem to have things worked out in there head we put the actuator rod back in. One friend chose to just leave it out, but he's and old school batch loader and didn't want to change his methodology. Which that's cool to each their own.

I see the LCCT as the better choice than a single for most and in some cases may be all some reloaders ever need. It's a great press to have around.

That said, I don't know as single reloader personally that only owns one press.. lol

Wait.. I just thought of a fella that has one press. He uses an old dusty grimy spartan single station press bolted to a old dusty grimy work bench and it does what he needs. He only loads twenty 7mm Mags every couple years and maybe 200 .45 Colt rounds a year.. maybe.
    I think he's been on the same twenty 7mm brass since 1997ish. Only reloads to hunt. All with a load out of the book that shot well (or good enough) right off the bat. An LCCT would be to much press for his needs, but maybe not enough press for others.

I have an LCCT set up with turrets for different push thru bullet sizers and other turrets for decap/resize and trim (case prep).

Anyway the LCCT is a great go to press. A terrific starter. So even if you develop a need for more press, it'll be good to have around.

Good luck,

Does a good job explaining things. In part II he shows the non index rod manual mode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMrbRRiyF8

Boolit Master
    I've used Lee but I prefer RCBS, they only cost a few dollars more than Lee.

Boolit Master
    Golly, my Lee turret press didn't have an auto index thingy. That was back in the mid 70's...
    I started with Lee stuff because that was what I could afford, and it did well. I slowly sold or gave almost all of my Lee stuff, except my Dipper set and something I saw today that I have no idea what it is..... maybe a case trimming set?
    I now have an RCBS Rock chucker I've had for a number of years. If I were to buy another single stage the RS 5 would be my next choice. That's not to say that the Lee turret would not find a place on my bench for loading handgun rounds.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

One thing to remember IF you decide to sell a press and purchase another they do hold value fairly well if kept clean and lightly oiled to avoid rust. I can't state an exact percentage but press prices tend to go up over time so todays $100 press is tomorrows $75 used press that will be worth $90 when the current model price increases eventually $120. Hard to wear one out if you take care of it.

One of these days I may replace a small C press I have with a Lee Cast Single Stage. I use it for sizing cast bullets, swaging primer pockets, Lee trim dies etc. The larger O press would give me more leverage and potentially less of an arm workout. Could do operations that would be too much for the smaller press.

If I was to come across a single stage from someone other than Lee at a good price it might follow me home. Thing is that hollow ram primer disposal is just so slick, and works so well I'm sort of inclined to think it would be a Lee Cast Single Stage that made me annoy my dear wife. Maybe if I paint it green I could get diversity points? No doubt RCBS makes some good presses but I promised myself I would not, not, not collect hardware. Sometimes however I lie to me. Often at gun shows.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    I saved until I could buy the press I wanted. If there is a will there is a way. Lee dies? Tried them and didn't like them. Most of my pistol dies are either RCBS used or Dillon new. The rifle are a combination of Redding dies or the RCBS competition dies. The extra money for the RCBS competition dies with the micrometer seating die is well worth it in my opinion.

IN my opinion there are places to cut costs and dies are the place for me. The Lee dies I tried resulted in brass tht showed signs of being worked and scuffed up. The RCBS dies I bought used for about the same cost as new Lee dies. Simply put the quality is there and so is the customer service.

THe 5.56/.223 dies I use are Redding simply again because of the quality. The competition dies result in uniform length and ease of reloading in my opinion.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 10-04-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast