StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationLee PrecisionGraf & Sons
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingADvertise here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thinking about buying my first press...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    David was on to the answer to the cost benefit question about reloading saving money.To add to his point how much would you spend on factory ammo if you shot as much as you do reloading?

Greg B.
    I'd still be shooting primarily 9mm if I had to buy all my ammo factory, even reman ammo costs start to add up quickly. I would not have a 45 or a 44 magnum thats for sure.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Well you are on the cast Boolits forum, I am no expert hell I am not even a amateur boolit caster, but after lurkin around here I got the bug to cast boolits and I did a little calculatin and figurin and I reckon a guy can save a small fortune switching from jacketed projectiles to homegrown lead projectiles which look to be about 1/3 of the cost of jacketed projectiles JM2C

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Saving money comes faster when you reload for rifles that use expensive or unobtainable ammo. That said reloading for 9mmP and 45ACP allowed me to still shoot volume when ammo for those calibers were not so cheap and sold in limited quantities due to market pressure a few years ago. As far as accuracy goes reloading allowed me to keep practicing when others could not due to the shortages. Having a reliable source is worth the expense in itself, IMO.

Will I ever be ahead money-wise, no, but reloading is one of my hobbies. Same with fishing and hunting. Mighty expensive food but the experience is priceless.
    Ammo for your choice in calibers can be bought pretty cheaply right now. But, you could not even find any back during the shortages in 2008-2009. And some other times back in the past. But reloaders continued to shoot during those times! The real savings is when/if you ever load for a Magnum cartridge or something kind of rare. Many Magnum calibers or $80 or more for a box of 20 and you can load 100 for that cost. Plus, my ammo is almost always more accurate than factory. I only remember a few times that I had factory ammo that I could not equal or beat. And then, when you went back to buy more it would be a different lot number and not perform the same. And then there is the satisfaction of making and shooting your own ammo.

Boolit Master
    Some or most shoot and load much more than I do or ever will. I have about $300.00 invested in all of my reloading tools which includes 1 RCBS Jr3 press, 1 Lee Value 3 hole turret with auto advance and 1 Lee Pro 1000. 2 sets of 9mm dies, 1 set 380acp dies and 1 set 38/357 dies. 1 Lyman D5 balance scale, 1 Lee Auto Disk measures and 1 Lee Auto Drum. All of this was purchased used with the exception of the Auto Drum. So one does not have to have a ton of money tied up in equipment to make reloading fun and affordable. Even with this second hand equipment I am able to produce ammo that is much more suited to my needs.

So how much am I going to have to reload for this equipment to pay for it's self? As far as I'm concerned it already has.

Boolit Master
    I can claim that reloading/casting 45/380 paid for itself in 1 year for me.

I have a decent amount of money in my reloading setup, but cheap as possible on my casting setup.

Dillon 550 press, multiple toolholders, powder measures etc.

casting- used coleman stove, lee molds, tumble lube with recluse lube (now hiteking), thrift store pot and utensils, safety gear.

last year i shot a lot (for me), belonged to a range with steel plates 5 minutes from where i was working. stopped there 2-3 times a week or more 200 rounds minimum each trip.

at the time 380 and 45 were around $400 per k.

casting with range scrap my cost was $50k.

lets round down and call it a $250 per k savings to cover buying lead.

i easily shot over 5k of just those 2 calibers last year, for a savings of over $1200.

Not even counting the other calibers i reloaded for, but didn't cast.

or the extra ammo i cast/loaded, but shot this year.

So in 1 year i was able to cost justify my entire setup.

it would be harder now, as ammo prices have come down, dramatically.

and i could easily spend another 10k on equipment that i want, automated 1050, automated master caster, automated sizer (next item to build, low price, high time investment).

now did i really save any money?
    No, i would have never shot that much factory ammo, but I sure had fun shooting more in 1 year than I had probably shot in the last 5.

And not worrying about my ammo costs.

I didn't buy the Dillon last year, just pointing out that with one years savings I could cost justify my complete setup.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Get kids interested in guns reloading or motorcycles then they'll never have any money for drugs!
    Well said.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234