Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: suppressor strikes

Banned

suppressor strikes

I hear all the time about those not wanting to use GC's when using a suppressor because of the 'strikes' that can and will occur.

I would like to see a few pics of those GC strikes on suppressors. Anyone care to volunteer a picture?

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't help you there, but I can confirm a gas check strike on a chronograph. right thru the display and was still lodged in the chrony!! 50 cal check @2100fps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I hear all the time about those not wanting to use GC's when using a suppressor because of the 'strikes' that can and will occur.

I would like to see a few pics of those GC strikes on suppressors. Anyone care to volunteer a picture?
    Depends on the severity of the strike. Beat case (as happened to me last week) you just get a scrape. Worst case, the gas check gets stuck and the next round makes it do a bad bad thing.

I only put gas checks through my cans that have been seated BEFORE powder coating. They ain't coming loose with a layer of powder coat.

Never seen it happen...,,don't want to. Better safe than sorry.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Had one check stay in the suppressor can rattling around and had to be removed at the end of the day, this is with about 800 gas checked bullets fired through to date. Never saw any evidence of damage to the core, caps or anywhere. Don't really know how long it was in there, just heard it one day.

Boolit Master
    I only shoot plain base cast through my suppressors, why would you need a gas check on a subsonic load??
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

I rarely shoot anything subsonic through mine. Only one load.
    I didn't buy/build my cans for super quiet shooting. I did it to get the muzzle blast off my face.
    As a happy chance accuracy was dramatically improved on two rifles; they shoot much better with than without.

One of my favorite ones to shoot is a Ruger American Ranch Carbine in 223. With a 16 inch barrel it's just plain obnoxious without my YHM Ti phantom.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

I have never taken one apart but just send them back to the manufacture for repair.

It is not a good thing and costs money. I will pass on shooting a checked out of mine with the long wait for repair/or new one with the added $200 fee for tax.

Spend the big bucks on a can and wait for it and then go cheapskate on the bullets does not make any sense to me.