Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: BLL Question

BLL Question

So I got my Alox, Paste Wax and mineral spirits, measured out the 30% Alox/35% wax/35% spirits, put it in a jam jar and started shaking. The Alox bottle split as it was being shipped and was a brown paste (like gravy left in the fridge overnight) and it seems to be resistant to dissolving. The mixture is also dark brown. I will keep shaking the jar, but is this typical?

Boolit Bub
    Add a rejected boolits or two and keep shaking. Setting the jar in a sink of hot water may help as well.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Great. Slowly dissolving as I shake. Once that is done I put 50 or 100 boolits in a tub, add 10 or 12 drops of the stuff, and gently tumble for a minute or so until it is evenly distributed, dump on some wax paper and wait until it dries, right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Great. Slowly dissolving as I shake. Once that is done I put 50 or 100 boolits in a tub, add 10 or 12 drops of the stuff, and gently tumble for a minute or so until it is evenly distributed, dump on some wax paper and wait until it dries, right?
    Correct, heating it helps the alox flow easier. I go a little heavier on the coating but it still dries nice and firm.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Thanks, folks. I will try tumbling some tonight and maybe get to sizing tomorrow. I want to get out the calipers and see what they are falling from the mold at before I even lube them, though.

Boolit Master

For 38 cal boolits, I use 12-15 drops per 50, depending on the size of the boolit. The 180g gets a few drops more then the 125g.

Might want to add some extra mineral spirits. If the alox bottle split and it most evaporated out. Well that would possibly make it thicker than you might want.

By the same token if it dissolves and works, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

It took some shaking, but everything dissolved. Tumble lubing was surprisingly easy. I checked the boolits before lubing and the wadcutters were.3595 to .360 while the RNFPs looked to be about .3585 (these are 38 spl). I erred on the side of more when dispensing lube, but it took me no more than 35 minutes to tumble about 1600 boolits and spread them out on waxed paper. I am assuming these will be dry by tomorrow morning and then I can run them through the sizing die on my press and lube a second time. Anything I am missing as far as process goes?

I don't bother waiting for them to dry before sizing. I run them through wet, then a light coat after that. Then I set them in front of a small fan to dry. A few hours is all it takes. Or just wait overnight.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

When was the recipe for BLL changed? Paste wax isn't in the original recipe or the new recipe. Clue me in would you?
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    The liquid wax in the original recipe has been discontinued. Occasionally some people find it on the clearance isle.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    When was the recipe for BLL changed? Paste wax isn't in the original recipe or the new recipe. Clue me in would you?
    It hasn't. People seem content on modifying it all the time. Buy Lundmark liquid wax, use the new formula and know it will work. Using anything else is a potential leading disaster.

Boolit Grand Master
    People persist in changing the original formula.
    Johnsons Paste Wax was never a component of the original formula for BLL ( Ben's Liquid Lube ) .

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I want to make up some BLL. Would someone kindly list the Lundmark "part" number for their liquid paste wax, and the White Label "part" number for liquid Xlox so I can make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff?
    Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

White label only sells one version of Xlox. So simply order the quantity you want. I'm no help w/ the Lundmark part number.

Mfr part number 3208F32-6
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    White label only sells one version of Xlox. So simply order the quantity you want. I'm no help w/ the Lundmark part number.
    Just to confirm, it's just "Liquid Xlox" not "45-45-10 Deluxe Liquid Xlox", correct?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven66 View Post
    I want to make up some BLL. Would someone kindly list the Lundmark "part" number for their liquid paste wax, and the White Label "part" number for liquid Xlox so I can make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff?
    Thanks!
    Liquid xlox is all that shows on my bottle. Got the Lundmark thru Ace Hardware, order it online and ship to your local store, or Walmart.com, or Amazon. Ace was the cheapest. Lundmark makes several floor wax products, just make sure to get the one that says "Liquid Paste Wax".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steven66 View Post
    Just to confirm, it's just "Liquid Xlox" not "45-45-10 Deluxe Liquid Xlox", correct?
    Correct. 45-45-10 is a different product.