RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of mockingbirds

Boolit Mold

Getting rid of mockingbirds

Hi all

First post. I joined castboolits to ask for help after a Google search for answers to my problem turned up this post on this forum with very helpful member suggestions.

We have a bad mockingbird problem - they're ruining our quality of life with constant screeching starting at 2am and going all day long. They've found strategic places where the noise echoes the most, and aggressively attack other birds we like and even cats.

After a years of putting up with them, keeping windows closed, shooting hardened palm seed projectiles at them with a wrist rocket slingshot, nothing has worked.

Now, I want to shoot them. (There, I said it). But would still consider anything else to drive them off permanently, short of cutting down trees, putting out poison. We like other birds and don't mind the squirrels, possums and raccoons in our 2 small orange trees.

I don't own any guns but would like to buy a quiet pellet rifle. The above post is 4 years old and maybe a quieter pellet rifle / newer technology is available?

We live in a densely populated Los Angeles neighborhood so I don't want to "discharge a firearm" in city limits. I can't just stalk the neighborhood with a rifle, but the back yard is enclosed by 6 ft. stone walls, so as long I don't leave the yard, I should be good to pop off a few pellets when no one is outside (eg dawn). Trouble is, the birds know to stay out of our yard when I come outside, and hang out in neighbors trees and power lines, between 50-150 ft. away. Have to hand it to them, they are clever birds...

1) Alternative suggestions for driving them away?

2) Suggestion for quiet pellet rifle with this range up to say $200?

thanks
    Pat

Boolit Master
    You live in Kommiefornia? Sorry, but your best bet is to move to a friendly state......

Super Moderator

Hi Pat, Gamo does make some quiet(er) airguns. Having said that, I would strongly recommend checking your local ordinances regarding discharging even a pellet gun. In my rural town I don't think it's legal...go figure. You also run the risk of a nosy neighbor seeing something and turning you in. Were it me...I'd probably not take the risk. I know some birds such as crows are incredibly intelligent. If you shoot at them once, they stay away. Not sure how smart mockingbirds are.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 10-05-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Boolit Master

I would find out what your adjacent neighbors think about the birds. Get them on board before you start an eradication program. Let them know what your plans are and listen to any ideas they might offer up. I don't know if mockingbirds are under any sort of protection, but everything else in California is so I would cover my bases ahead of time. If everybody is made aware, the finding of a dead bird with hole in it won't cause any unforeseen disturbance. Just an opinion, others will have different ones. FWIW, RWS model 34 is a real nice pellet rifle, they offer them in .177 or .22. Another option is use a live trap, Havahart use to offer several different types. Once caught, you would probably want to set the trap in a wash tub full of water to dispose of the birds. If you take them out of town to release them, I would be willing to bet they will probably beat you back to the house.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 10-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

get a lazer pointer. red or green,birds hate them and leave right away.

I under stand the problem well . But the real problem is they are considered a song bird and protected . Now starlings are not and their removal is talked about all the time . Marvin

Boolit Master
    ...To KILL a MOCKINGBIRD!?! Dear me, what would Harper Lee think?!?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

More likely a native bird vs invasive species. There are sonic appliances which are used in hangers and parking structures which work well, and will legally get rid of them.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Most cities suburbs neihborhoods have ordanances against not only the discharge of firearms, but also airguns bows and muzzle loaders. You need to check on this first. Then decide if a neighbor who sees or is told about this will try and make an issue out of it. Last is to have a safe direction of fire. The laser pointer sounds like a good way to go it would be selective as to species of birds also. The repellers may work but arnt selective the same with wind chimes pie pans and other things to scare them. The draw back to the laser pointer is in bright sunlight the range will be short with fadeout.

Boolit Master
    Don't point the laser at airplanes.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Per post #3

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476989

Sec. 66-11. Discharge of weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, gun, rifle, or other gun or device discharging, by the use of powder, air, or springs, any bullet or shot of any kind or any sling or slingshot in the city, except in shooting galleries and on pistol and rifle ranges, the location of which has been approved by the city; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to police officers acting within the scope of their official duties or to persons acting in the necessary defense of their persons or property.

(Code 1965, § 4127; Ord. No. 235; Ord. No. 839)

Taken from here:

http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/citygov/...chapter066.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    Laser the noisy BLEEPS. Mockingbirds are NOT protected by CA law; crows are to some extent. The LAST thing I would do is discharge a pellet rifle in the City of Los Angeles. LOTS WORSE THINGS can happen than putting up with raucous birds.

Have a "target" when using the laser pointer. Keep the lasing at low angles, and shut it down when aircraft are anywhere close by.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Laser the noisy BLEEPS. Mockingbirds are NOT protected by CA law; crows are to some extent. The LAST thing I would do is discharge a pellet rifle in the City of Los Angeles. LOTS WORSE THINGS can happen than putting up with raucous birds.

Have a "target" when using the laser pointer. Keep the lasing at low angles, and shut it down when aircraft are anywhere close by.
    Take a look at the list .Marvin http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/.../fmbtalist.pdf
    http://lsjunction.com/bird.htm

All the more reason to live outside the cities and towns. Rural is the way to go.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the helpful info, especially about ordinances and the Federal migratory bird act, which complicate things in this case.

It's good advice I should get the neighbors on board before making more deadly or expensive plans. The ones most affected live on another street. Their back yards abut ours, but of course with the high stone wall we never meet. Such is the state of urban life unfortunately.

The trap is worth exploring too. I have a feeling I'd catch mostly dumber birds and squirrels though.

The laser pointer is interesting. We're all too aware of the seriousness of people abusing them, what with LAPD choppers buzzing about regularly. The downside would be getting out of bed at dawn daily just for 2-3 seconds of pointing at the place where the birds perch - in the dark, when I couldn't even see them fly away. That might be more annoying to me than the birds. But definitely worth exploring.

I didn't mention before but I tried playing loud recordings of hawks and other raptors I found online - to no avail. It's rare to see a hawk or owl in this urban neighborhood, so the mockingbirds might not know they're a threat or just don't care. Anyway thats just throwing noise at noise.

Also I set out a big realistic ceramic hawk from a gardening store. It works as intended to make squirrels think twice about scurrying about on the roof but the mockingbirds aren't even slightly fooled.
    Last edited by 150mph; 10-03-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Here is a link of what birds that are protected under the fed migratory bird act, also here is another site for it also
    http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/.../fmbtalist.pdf
    https://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/migtrea.html
    Fed out rule state. So it is up to who ever what they looking to do,just know what you will get yourself into what ever you plan to do. Or if so do the SSS.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Get a couple of the meanest scarred up tomcats you can find and put a leash on them and tie them just out of fighting range . Feed them sparingly but keep water near at all times. When the Mockingbirds attack, sooner or later old Tom will get one or two. Just kidding! Being Native Texan, I would never kill a Mockingbird. Now cats are a different story.......

Boolit Master

In Texas they are the State Bird and are protected by law.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Might try a couple of rubber snakes placed in areas around the yard...some birds are very wary and afraid of snakes..maybe the mocking bird is one of them...

If you get close to a nesting mama bird, she will give you some acupuncture on the head!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast