Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowling Pin shoot. 45, 357 or 10mm?

Boolit Master
    I competed with a Model 66 S&W service revolver way back when....with stiff 158 SWC 38 loads. Only because that is the gun I carried. 1911 45 acp's ruled the day....always.

Boolit Master

I ran 200 SWC. 5.0+ of Bullseye up to 5.7 grains which really helps with marginal shots. I will tell you right now I am getting a 50GI together for next year. IT IS THE WAY TO GO.

Boolit Master

I've used a number of different cartridges for Bowling Pins: .45 acp, .44 Special and Magnum, .40 S&W and 9mm. I liked the .44 Special loaded with 429421 best. The .44 Magnum with a light load of 231 and the same bullet was good. The .40 S&W did fine with 180gr SWC bullets. The 9mm in a Beretta, even with 147gr cast bullets, was quite prone to deflecting bullets at nearly right angles, once nailing a florescent light fixture almost directly overhead, causing both tubes to come crashing down...... What a mess. The .45 acp, with the target loads I shot, did not reliably remove pins from the table.

Ended up using my Les Baer Prowler III with 230gr fmj (I know, I know, had to use it up) and did well. I don't think I won, but I definitely wasn't anywhere close to last. Each pin was gone from the holders with one hit, and I'll be dadgummed if that game wasn't more fun than it should've been. Next time, my new PC 625 is coming along, and I'll figure out how to move fast with moon clips later. The 10rd 45acp WC mag was a game changer though, and I did share with my Dad after he asked nicely. Something about the ride home versus leather personnel carriers or the like. Thanks for tips previously

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to hear you did well and enjoyed yourself. In moon clips the round nose is king for loading as they alighn much better than other bullets. Load your moon clips and then check them to make sure they drop in easily. For speed practice makes perfect, a couple 3 moon clips with dummy rounds and practice till you can load without looking. Thumb is between 2 cartridges and grip cylinder with the fluting to alighn.

I got my long gun Master Blaster patch in 89 shooting 3 man with a pump at Second Chance and HG Master Blaster in 91 shooting a pair of 6" L Frames using a 230 gr wad cutter on top of 7 gr of Blue Dot. When I was on two man or mixed doubles I used a 255 SWC in my comp 45 on to of 5.2 gr of WW231. Those who went there, those were the days, those who heard about it Friday evening with the Class 7 fireworks displays was magical and Wed evening machine gun shoot was spectacular. I did finish first in Al's Snubby event I think in 96 or 97 and still have that 7 shot L Frame.

Boolit Buddy
    Something to think about. Depending on "The Rules" 9mm and 38 Special can be set up Center Table. This can make a 38 Special look much better. We have a Pin Shoot coming up, and I have my ammo already loaded for it. I am using my 357 Maximum hunting bullets, a NOE 360-180 seated in the upper crimp groove, with a slightly elevated charge of Unique. This load drives tacks in my 6" GP100 that I use in ICORE Match's. I have faith that the load will work fine if the Nut Behind The Butt does his part, and does not miss.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I had a compensated .45 acp set up for bowling pins ie a "Pin Gun". I used 255 grain SWC. they had a good bite on the pin. they were loaded with 5.6 of 231 if I recall correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    For A revolver I think I would choose a S&W 625 with a 5" barrel and shoot the same 255 SWC. In fact, I think there is a pin shoot coming up at my club soon. I will try those 2 set ups since I still have 1000s of "pin Rounds" loaded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12